Simple ?'s but desperately needed answers...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mellyrara

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How important is going to a reputable undergraduate college? I got my business degree from an "okay" private college, very small (class size on average 19-25). I finished my post-bacc at a few schools (had to split up time between Boston and San Diego)

Also about the flippin' MCAT...what do you think of a GPA 3.87 undergrad with a GPA of 3.96 for post bacc work...what is the minimum I should be striving for with the MCAT?

I'd really appreciate feedback

Take good care

Members don't see this ad.

mellyrara said:
How important is going to a reputable undergraduate college? I got my business degree from an "okay" private college, very small (class size on average 19-25). I finished my post-bacc at a few schools (had to split up time between Boston and San Diego)

Also about the flippin' MCAT...what do you think of a GPA 3.87 undergrad with a GPA of 3.96 for post bacc work...what is the minimum I should be striving for with the MCAT?

Take good care

I think the first is mostly opinion and what little people have actually heard from someone in admissions is going to be very school specific.

As for the MCAT, what school are you hoping for? I'd compare your numbers against their averages for their last admitted class and for an average for the last several admitted classes if you can find it. If you just want to get in anywhere, you could probably manage with anything high 20s or better, but having a 30+ with 10 in each subsection is always nice. That way you wouldn't have to worry much about it, unless you're applying to powerhouse schools.

mellyrara said:

Take good care

Don't know how desperate you need to be at this point, but that's neither here nor there.

From my experience school doesn't factor into the process until interviews. You may need to defend and explain yourself if your history seems a bit confusing.

I think that 30 seems like the magic number where no one is going to question your MCAT and in some cases even becomes a slight positive.

Doing well on the MCAT is important, especially if people are unfamiliar with the schools you attended. In those cases MCAT becomes the great equalizer that can be used to compare you with students from high-profile schools.

Good luck and stay of SDN until you need it. This place is a pressure cooker for stress.