Simple solution preperation question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

iTsLikeAnEgG

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, I have just started looking over a friends pharmtech books and I had question as to how a simple solution preparation problem should be set up. I'm a computer science major by trade but like to dabble a bit on the side in various other areas. I understand that these questions are generally proportionality based and the math is very simple but the phrasing of questions is a bit confusing to me.

The problem goes as such:
Prepare a 8 mL of hydrocortisone solution with a concentration of 5 mg / mL from 100 mg / 2 mL.
1) How many mL of hydrocortisone are needed?
2) How many mL of dilutant are needed?

How would I go about solving this?
 
Hi, I have just started looking over a friends pharmtech books and I had question as to how a simple solution preparation problem should be set up. I'm a computer science major by trade but like to dabble a bit on the side in various other areas. I understand that these questions are generally proportionality based and the math is very simple but the phrasing of questions is a bit confusing to me.

The problem goes as such:
Prepare a 8 mL of hydrocortisone solution with a concentration of 5 mg / mL from 100 mg / 2 mL.
1) How many mL of hydrocortisone are needed?
2) How many mL of dilutant are needed?

How would I go about solving this?

Required volume * Required Concentration = 40mg hydrocortisone
Given concentration / 40mg hydrocortisone =
required volume of hydrocortisone = 0.8mL
Final volume(8mL)- Volume of hydrocortisone (0.8mL)= Required volume of dilutant (7.2mL)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Required volume * Required Concentration = 40mg hydrocortisone
Given concentration / 40mg hydrocortisone =
required volume of hydrocortisone = 0.8mL
Final volume(8mL)- Volume of hydrocortisone (0.8mL)= Required volume of dilutant (7.2mL)

Hate to step on your toes but here is another way to do the problem:

Prepare a 8 mL of hydrocortisone solution with a concentration of 5 mg / mL from 100 mg / 2 mL.
1) How many mL of hydrocortisone are needed?
2) How many mL of dilutant are needed?

8 ml hc solution (total mls of hc solution) * 5 mg hc/ml hc solution (desired concentration) * 2ml stock hc solution/100mg hc = 0.8 ml stock hc solution - check units, looks good to me

8 ml hc solution (final product) - 0.8 ml stock hc solution = 7.2 ml of diluent


Yikes I hope that is legible! Actually now that I look at it I think our approaches are the same, but I already typed it out so I am gonna post anyway.
 
Last edited:
@owlegrad: Is volume additivity often assumed in pharmacy school?

Excellent question! I guess so. :shrug: I mean I think it is assumed when you say diluent that additivity is valid.

I can't think of an example where it was not. In dosage forms I remember learning about things like solubility, etc. but I don't recall any questions that involved anything particularly more complicated than the above problem. I am not done with PK yet, but I don't think it is going to involve having to know what can be added to what.