Simultaneously Studying for the MCAT & DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HSShouldEnd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am considering going to either dental school or medical school. I have not yet decided, but now is the ideal time to study for the MCAT and DAT. (I have read the benefits of both dental school and medical school, the cons of each, etc. I just have not yet decided which to apply to. So, please do not submit posts about how dumb it is to consider both and how I can't possibly want both because they are very different.)

I understand that each test is different, so I need to study seperately. For example, there is no physics in the DAT and there is no perceptual test in the MCAT. However, some sections/material do overlap.

What is the best way to study for both the DAT and MCAT at the same time?

Members don't see this ad.

I really recommend you to focus on one test. Neither one is easy and you want to get the highest score as possible. It's best to choose one to study for 2-3 months, done with the test then study for others. Don't mix them up or you will just be average for both. This is just my 2 dollars (I don't have coins with me, sorry!)

Reactions: 1 user
I really recommend you to focus on one test. Neither one is easy and you want to get the highest score as possible. It's best to choose one to study for 2-3 months, done with the test then study for others. Don't mix them up or you will just be average for both. This is just my 2 dollars (I don't have coins with me, sorry!)

^^^Listen to this guy.

There's nothing wrong with seriously considering both, but you owe it to yourself to figure out which you're going pursue before you invest time, money, and sweat in studying for entrance exams (especially when studying for and taking both tests will probably lower your scores).

I've looked at both. DAT is substantially easier, at least for the basic sciences. You'd have to spend some time on the perceptual section but that only takes practice and is more akin to a game than an actual test. Average preparation for the MCAT's science and reading sections will likely get you a higher percentile score on the DAT. Less than a month of preparation on the DAT will get you over a 93 percentile on the DAT (sample size of one). I doubt the same is true for the MCAT with the same person. There's a lot more test taking strategy and reading comprehension required for all sections on the MCAT than compared to the DAT.

I worked in a lab with a premed student. He took off several months of time from the lab to study for the MCAT. His study schedule was much more grueling than mine and he even mentioned taking caffeine pills. I on the other hand was able to both study for the DAT and work in the lab. We both got the same percentile scores for our respective exams but he clearly spent more effort.

A 93 percentile is around a score of 20-21 for the DAT which is also the average score (~19.4) for accepted applicants.

A 93 percentile on the MCAT is around a 34 which is much higher than the average score of 30 for admitted medical students.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
a
I've looked at both. DAT is substantially easier, at least for the basic sciences. You'd have to spend some time on the perceptual section but that only takes practice and is more akin to a game than an actual test. Average preparation for the MCAT's science and reading sections will likely get you a higher percentile score on the DAT. Less than a month of preparation on the DAT will get you over a 93 percentile on the DAT (sample size of one). I doubt the same is true for the MCAT with the same person. There's a lot more test taking strategy and reading comprehension required for all sections on the MCAT than compared to the DAT.

I worked in a lab with a premed student. He took off several months of time from the lab to study for the MCAT. His study schedule was much more grueling than mine and he even mentioned taking caffeine pills. I on the other hand was able to both study for the DAT and work in the lab. We both got the same percentile scores for our respective exams but he clearly spent more effort.

A 93 percentile is around a score of 20-21 for the DAT which is also the average score (~19.4) for accepted applicants.

A 93 percentile on the MCAT is around a 34 which is much higher than the average score of 30 for admitted medical students.
Is that true? "Average score of 30 for admitted medical students". I thought it was like a 24.

Like others have said, focus on one test. I know quite a few people who are entertaining this same idea. I think it's just a bad idea.

I have decided to focus on the MCAT solely because some threads I read through mentioned that studying sufficiently for the MCAT and scoring well (let's say low to mid 30s) would probably also lead me to scoring well on the DAT as well. On the other hand, if I were to focus solely on the DAT, scoring well on the DAT does not give me the same likelihood of scoring well on the MCAT.

My one remaining concern is the reporting of scores. Do dental schools ask if I took the MCAT before? Likewise, do medical schools ask if I took the DAT? Of course, answering yes to either of these questions may not bode well since schools may think I am not committed to either medicine or dentistry. I will, however, only apply to only ONE school--either dental school or medical school--when the time comes. Right now is the just the best time for me to study.

Advice?

Reactions: 1 user
The MCAT is typically considered the more difficult exam. You should focus all of your efforts on it. As far as the DAT goes, if you are strong in the pre-reqs you can get a good score with a month or two of studying, maybe even less.

Most of my friends taking the DAT seem to earn a competitive score with 6 weeks of studying.

I don't know about the score reporting. I doubt they ask. Hopefully someone else can chime in.