sinai baltimore

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ostensibly

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
first of all, thank you for this great resource!
I'm a 4th year looking for a residency and electives. I'm having a hard time getting information/opinions about the sinai baltimore program (besides their own website). Can anyone comment?

-The world celebrates actions not thoughts...

Members don't see this ad.

I do know of someone who graduated from my school and is a resident over there. I believe that one of my classmates, Dr. G (?), will be going there. Johns Hopkins and Sinai-Baltimore used to be a combined program. That was until, a few years ago, when Hopkins split apart from Sinai. Many people have told me that Sinai is much better than Hopkins. Hopkins' program seems to be unstable at this point. The teaching from attendings at Hopkins is minimal. From opinions that I have gotten, both Sinai and Hopkins are not as strong as they once were since they split apart. In the DC-Baltimore area, I would also check out National Rehab Hospital. Although it isn't nearly as strong as other programs in the northeast (i.e. Spaulding, Kessler, TJU, Temple, JFK), NRH seems to have tons of potential if they can improve on their outpatient and musculoskeletal rehab. Both NRH and Sinai are possibly the better of the DC-Baltimore programs. The 3 Virginia programs appear to be even stronger.

Sinai appears to have a strong outpatient rehab. Like NRH and Hopkins, they take 4 residents per year. Sinai is a community hospital compared to Hopkins.

Well, that is all that I know about Sinai.

All I know is that Sinai was one of the few programs in PM&R that didn't fill this year. I don't know what that means in terms of quality of program, etc. though.

Members don't see this ad :)
axm397 said:
All I know is that Sinai was one of the few programs in PM&R that didn't fill this year. I don't know what that means in terms of quality of program, etc. though.

I should have mentioned this before. The reason why Sinai-Baltimore didn't fill through the match was because the program only ranked 16 applicants. That was really dumb of the program. It is not a really strong program but definitely not a horrible program. Sometimes, I believe, some programs think they are much better than they really are. Case in point goes to anesthesiology at NYU, which didn't fill a few positions through the match.

thanks for the info.
keep it up...this forum helps a lot

Im a 4th year student who matched at sinai for rehab in 2005. When I interviewed there, I liked the program a lot. They seem to have a good balance of outpatient and inpatient rehab. The residents all seemed very pleased with the program. They have an affiliated pain fellowship in york pennsylvania if you have any interest in that area of physiatry. The sports medicine/MSK experience is also very good as I know that they spend some time with the Baltimore Ravens. Probably the best part about the program is the program director. Dr. Brown was definately the most approachable and dedicated program director that I met on the interview trail. She will definately make this program a super power in the future. The program is a very balanced one and residents seem to be getting a thorough overall rehab education which in my opinion is better than going to a program with certain known strengths, but weaknesses in other areas. You may think that you want to go into a certain area of physiatry and then realize that you dont like it, and may chose something else. Because the field is so broad, and there are so many different areas, I think its important to obtain a thorough rehab education, and I think sinai will allow you to do that. I have been keeping in contact with a resident whom I met on the interview who happened to graduate from my school (NYCOM) and he seems to be very satisfied with his experience at sinai. From a social perspecitve, baltimore is becoming a more developed city as time goes by. It is now known more for its nightlife which was once non-existent. The city is starting to supplement to the already famous inner harbor area. Unfortunately, thats all I can offer at this time. I hope it helped in some way. I suppose we will all find out more about the programs we matched into in 2005!

good luck with whatever you choose!

just to add to the comments about NRH. Dont get fooled by the ivy league backing (Georgetown). A lot of programs seem to ride on their ivy league status, and arent necessarily that strong. I heard that the program only has two years accredidation right now, which is kinda scary considering most PMR residencies are at least 3 years. I cant speak first hand about the program, because I dont know too much about it, but from what I heard, it has a lot of weaknesses and the program director is not very flexible.

I didn't know Georgetown was an Ivy League... :eek: (I don't think it is)

I just wanted to respond to the previous message talking about accreditation for NRH as well as any perceived strengths or weaknesses. I am a PGY-II at NRH so I feel that I can justifably comment on the situation.

I know we have three year accreditation and to verify I looked it up on www.acgme.org. More importantly, I believe the question originally posted on the thread was about Sinai not about NRH. I really do not think it is necessary to bash or even comment on other programs, especially in an inaccurate fashion. The comment about Ivy League was particularly out of left field.

Every program has strengths as well as weaknesses, for those of us already involved in the residency training process this has likely become very apparent. Those who have yet to begin their training will also quickly learn this fact. I am sure I could make assertions about Sinai that might or might not be accurate, but I would rather those who had first-hand or accurate information make comments.

I don't know much about NRH or Sinai - BUT for those interested in spine - I don't think that affiliated fellowship spot was given to a Sinai resident in the past several years. I don't know if this is because Sinai residents went elsewhere or if they didn't get the spot. just FYI...

well sorry for my "left field" commentary on the apparently non-Ivy league status of georgetown. Mehul 25, sorry for the comments about NRH. I was just spitting back out what I heard on my interview trail. You are right, we should not be making assumptions about other programs without first hand info on them. Unfortunately the problem with studentdoctor is that as the name implies, the majority of the posts are made by medical students. We can only give information based on what we encountered during the interview trail (which may or may not be 100% accurate) and from hearsay through other perhaps unreliable sources. But, I guess we all take what we can get. Ostensibly, if you really want more info on sinai, perhaps you can PM me as time goes by and as I find out more and more about the program.

good luck!