Since there are no pharmacy jobs I have an idea!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MountainPharmD

custodiunt illud simplex
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Wow. My upstairs A/C went out yesterday. I just had an HVAC guy come out and replace a $15 part in 45 minutes for $217.00. I would have done it myself but I worked 12 hours yesterday. I have the kids all day today for Doctors appointments and the holiday starts tomorrow. I love being ripped off!

Since there are no pharmacists jobs anymore I suggest everyone currently in school drop out and become HVAC technicians. Heck I may go back to school!
 
Wow. My upstairs A/C went out yesterday. I just had an HVAC guy come out and replace a $15 part in 45 minutes for $217.00. I would have done it myself but I worked 12 hours yesterday. I have the kids all day today for Doctors appointments and the holiday starts tomorrow. I love being ripped off!

Since there are no pharmacists jobs anymore I suggest everyone currently in school drop out and become HVAC technicians. Heck I may go back to school!

You clearly got taken advantage of. I wouldn't have paid that.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Wow. My upstairs A/C went out yesterday. I just had an HVAC guy come out and replace a $15 part in 45 minutes for $217.00. I would have done it myself but I worked 12 hours yesterday. I have the kids all day today for Doctors appointments and the holiday starts tomorrow. I love being ripped off!

Since there are no pharmacists jobs anymore I suggest everyone currently in school drop out and become HVAC technicians. Heck I may go back to school!
A pharmacist-anesthetist would have done it cheaper.
 
Wow. My upstairs A/C went out yesterday. I just had an HVAC guy come out and replace a $15 part in 45 minutes for $217.00. I would have done it myself but I worked 12 hours yesterday. I have the kids all day today for Doctors appointments and the holiday starts tomorrow. I love being ripped off!

Since there are no pharmacists jobs anymore I suggest everyone currently in school drop out and become HVAC technicians. Heck I may go back to school!

If you think that's bad, you should see what HVAC specialists make in Alaska. :meanie:
 
Thanks for starting this thread. I've been wondering where the thread discussing air condition repair costs has been.
 
Wow. My upstairs A/C went out yesterday. I just had an HVAC guy come out and replace a $15 part in 45 minutes for $217.00. I would have done it myself but I worked 12 hours yesterday. I have the kids all day today for Doctors appointments and the holiday starts tomorrow. I love being ripped off!

Since there are no pharmacists jobs anymore I suggest everyone currently in school drop out and become HVAC technicians. Heck I may go back to school!

I got an uncle that is a plumber and I do his taxes for him. He pulls in about 165,000 a year and that is not including under the table deals.
 
No way, too many new HVAC programs openening up in my area. Phoenix is supersaturated I hear. That is the only place I can live due to "family issues." But, maybe a few dozen other people can start threads and let us know about the HVAC market in the context of their personal situation. It will only be then that we will honestly know if we should drop out of pharmacy to pursue a career in heating, ventilating, and air conditioning.
 
What are my chances of entering a relatively prestigious HVAC program in a suitably populated metropolitan area? Also, please distill your HVAC experiences into soundbites so I can enter it into my career matrix and determine if I made the right choice. After all, I was accepted to Electrician's school as well, so I want to do what's right for me. Electricians are intellectuals, but HVAC has great benefits. Is the trade-off worth it? Thanks.
 
Damn you Priapism and rphello!!! I thought I had the perfect plan and you go and blow holes in it! Face it we are all doomed. I think we should all drop out of school or quit our jobs and live in a cardboard box down by the river.
 
Damn you Priapism and rphello!!! I thought I had the perfect plan and you go and blow holes in it! Face it we are all doomed. I think we should all drop out of school or quit our jobs and live in a cardboard box down by the river.

Don't try and derail this thread back on the course you had initially intended, thus, inhibiting me from obtaining this vitally important information that I MUST HAVE: is the HVAC market saturated in San Diego like it is in Phoenix? 2009 HVAC grads ONLY please......
 
I'm a 2011 graduate, and yes San Diego, Phoenix, and New England are saturated. All of the fly-by-night schools are polluting the HVAC pool. My question is more important though. Should I 1.) work for a large contractor, where the pay is steady but the environment sucks, 2.) start my own business thus taking out even more loans on top of my heart-wrenching HVAC student loan debt, or 3.) work in an office building where I don't have to deal with customers, but the management can be a real headache and the other office employees can make life a living hell. Answer my question before returning on topic.

Has anyone taken the 2009 HVACLEX? How about the MHVACJE? Should I study?
 
Last edited:
Stay away from HVAC. Not only is saturation a problem as listed above, but foreign repair men are taking "ouur jobs."

I have a friend that wants to get his certification and go practice in another country.
 
I got locked out of my apartment once at 2 AM. I did not want to call and make the landlord angry. So I called a locksmith, and ended up getting charged $200 for him to bust the lock and replace it. The landlord was very thankful I did not call him to wake him up and ended up giving me a new lock that does not automatically lock each time I close it.

I could have just toughed it out and stayed up all night but I had to work and study the next day and was already exhausted from working that day.
 
I got locked out of my apartment once at 2 AM. I did not want to call and make the landlord angry. So I called a locksmith, and ended up getting charged $200 for him to bust the lock and replace it. The landlord was very thankful I did not call him to wake him up and ended up giving me a new lock that does not automatically lock each time I close it.

I could have just toughed it out and stayed up all night but I had to work and study the next day and was already exhausted from working that day.

You may be on to something here....A locksmith....Hmmmmm. I wonder how long locksmith school is? If I have a low score on the lockcat is it still possilbe to get in with a lot of experience opening locks with a key?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've actually worked in the Nuclear HVAC field of work for a few years now. I might just get together some pictures and make a post about a day in the life of a Nuclear HVACist to give insight to people who would like to one day follow in my shoes.
 
I've actually worked in the Nuclear HVAC field of work for a few years now. I might just get together some pictures and make a post about a day in the life of a Nuclear HVACist to give insight to people who would like to one day follow in my shoes.

That would be great!

I'd like to do a fellowship specializing in commericial air-filtration systems, and I hear the path is similar. Do you have any suggestions on how I can make myself more competitive? I have a pretty good GPA, but only one LOR! Is this enough?
 
You guys are definitely lemmings. The HVAC gravy train has come and gone. I hope you're willing to work part time or be unemployed after finishing HVAC school. Hell, I have friends who tried to get into the field but they can't find any work anywhere.
 
That would be great!

I'd like to do a fellowship specializing in commericial air-filtration systems, and I hear the path is similar. Do you have any suggestions on how I can make myself more competitive? I have a pretty good GPA, but only one LOR! Is this enough?



Instead, have you thought of doing a PGY2 residency? That would allow you to work in the actual field instead of just doing research. I would suggest you do your IPPEs in the residential and business fields as to broaden your knowledge base. As far as LORs, make sure you get at least 3 solid LOR from qualified, experienced HVAC that are preferably specialized in commercial air-filtration.


While I'm here, do you guys think that by going Green our profession is gonna die and we'll all be jobless in the next few weeks? How will future graduates deal with this?!