Sing "Take a Chance on Me" by ABBA during interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sing ABBA!

• Heck yeah!

Votes: 55 71.4%
  • Bro, bad idea. Just stop.

Votes: 22 28.6%

• Total voters

Good idea or bad idea? Do applicants ever do funny stuff like this?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I'd probably go with some J Cole, but that's just me

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
With your stats, you could probably screech like a banshee and still get in.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Only if Simon, Paula, and Randy are interviewing you.

Reactions: 9 users
Only if you do it Andy Bernard style and have your acapella bros on speaker phone to back you up.

If I were an adcom and someone did that, I'd definitely give them some style points.

This may be why I will never be asked to serve as an adcom.

Reactions: 10 users
Only if you do it Andy Bernard style and have your acapella bros on speaker phone to back you up.

If I were an adcom and someone did that, I'd definitely give them some style points.

This may be why I will never be asked to serve as an adcom.
Hahaha!! :laugh:

I would change the song depending on the region. For example if you are in the south then you could just sing "shake it for me" by Luke Bryan, a little country. But note that if you don't have a female interviewer you may need to improvise the lyrics...

If you are at UW just go straight to "Downtown." A little Macklemore goes a long way in Seattle.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would change the song depending on the region. For example if you are in the south then you could just sing "shake it for me" by Luke Bryan, a little country. But note that if you don't have a female interviewer you may need to improvise the lyrics...

If you are at UW just go straight to "Downtown." A little Macklemore goes a long way in Seattle.

Macklemore? I believe the correct answer is Sir Mix-a-lot

So you're giving me the green light to lay down some Hamilton at my Albany interview?

Reactions: 5 users
I'd personally go with some more along the lines of "Every Breath You Take" by The Police, just to demonstrate to adcoms that you're a perceptive and observant individual who's willing to go the extra mile for what you desire.

Reactions: 6 users
Please do it and update this thread after

Throw in a lil' bit of Thinking About You by Frank O. Do it right when you walk into the admissions office and stone-faced, staring right at the secretary. Don't break eye contact. Hit those high notes, too, homie.

I know somebody who's involved in an on-campus hip hop group and he was asked to freestyle a few bars, so he did.
*clears throat* mic check one, two, one, two...bout to spit some bars and join the accepted crew...application in early, you know how SDN do...got asked about my research, i said breakthrough...got asked about my money, i said beaucoup... cause i do what it do and then i do what it does...got a killer flow but don't call me a thug...and next time they ask you where kgizzle was...just say he's a doctor prescribing drugs! But I ain't a rapper
tumblr_inline_nr12pvgTUW1savgc1_500.gif

Reactions: 11 users
*clears throat* mic check one, two, one, two...bout to spit some bars and join the accepted crew...application in early, you know how SDN do...got asked about my research, i said breakthrough...got asked about my money, i said beaucoup... cause i do what it do and then i do what it does...got a killer flow but don't call me a thug...and next time they ask you where kgizzle was...just say he's a doctor prescribing drugs! But I ain't a rapper
tumblr_inline_nr12pvgTUW1savgc1_500.gif
Legendary...

Please. There is only one acceptable thing to sing.

Baby got back.

But that alone is not enough to secure an acceptance. You must ensure that this is done at the very end of your faculty member interview so that they won't forget about it when discussing you with the committee. Doing it when they ask if you have any other questions is ideal. For good measure, make unbroken eye contact with your interviewer the whole time you're dropping those funky beats. Nothing could possibly be more memorable.

Reactions: 3 users
Please. There is only one acceptable thing to sing.

Baby got back.

But that alone is not enough to secure an acceptance. You must ensure that this is done at the very end of your faculty member interview so that they won't forget about it when discussing you with the committee. Doing it when they ask if you have any other questions is ideal. For good measure, make unbroken eye contact with your interviewer the whole time you're dropping those funky beats. Nothing could possibly be more memorable.

The unbroken eye contact is key.

It really separates the wannabes from the truly enlightened.
On the topic of wannabes, don't be alarmed if the interviewer breaks out into a Spice Girls song to reciprocate your musical talent.

Surely you knew this would happen when you asked if singing Abba in an interview was a good idea ;)
Possibly, but let me say that if anyone has a December interview and doesn't bring a small keyboard to play "Linus and Lucy".... well, that'd be a shame.

Reactions: 1 user
Don't ever tell a school to take a "chance" on you. Convince them, rather, that you're exactly who they want and give them confidence that selecting you would not be a mistake.

Although if you can sing and enjoy doing so, be sure to highlight that as a personal quality!

Reactions: 1 user