Single best book for Step 2 CK...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

colts

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the single best book people recommend for Step 2 CK?

Members don't see this ad.

The notes you take while going through USMLEWorld. Seriously, take notes on all of the explanations (even the ones you get right) and do lots and lots of questions and you will do fine.

Survivor DO

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The notes you take while going through USMLEWorld. Seriously, take notes on all of the explanations (even the ones you get right) and do lots and lots of questions and you will do fine.

Survivor DO

How'd you organize these notes? Just annotated into a book? Or did you seperately write them out by topic, like cardio etc.

Can you elaborate on this? I'd love to learn how to do this.

i literally just have microsoft word (or notepad) open and when i do questions i type up the learning objectives or explanations, and add mnemonics and stuff

i've done this for about 1/2 the bank now, hopefully finishing the bank in the next 10 days or so, can send you if you pm me your email.

after getting tons of PM's for my file. i just decided to share it and make it public

i only ask you to let me know if you find errors so i can fix them, I wouldn't want someone getting incorrect information !

Attachments

• step 2 ck notes reorganized.docx
    440.8 KB · Views: 664
Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
This is what I've decided to make my study plan after researching study plans: MTB 2CK for internal medicine, MTB 3 for peds/psych/surgery/obgyn + UWORLD. Would this be sufficient?

Quick question: does this mean, that people only read MTB2 IM (and no other chapters) and then MTB3 peds/psych/surgery/obgyn? OR doe they read all the chapters from both books?

Thanks!

This is what I've decided to make my study plan after researching study plans: MTB 2CK for internal medicine, MTB 3 for peds/psych/surgery/obgyn + UWORLD. Would this be sufficient?

Quick question: does this mean, that people only read MTB2 IM (and no other chapters) and then MTB3 peds/psych/surgery/obgyn? OR doe they read all the chapters from both books?

Thanks!

I think reading from both books you'll see a lot of overlap, so your method should be good. It's pretty much the method I'm trying to follow. There's many days where UW takes up my whole day though...

Also, I think it was Ronin that said doing Ob/Gyn from both books was useful as MTB 3 didn't cover it all.

i literally just have microsoft word (or notepad) open and when i do questions i type up the learning objectives or explanations, and add mnemonics and stuff

i've done this for about 1/2 the bank now, hopefully finishing the bank in the next 10 days or so, can send you if you pm me your email.

I think taking notes is part of the learning process with UW. Especially if you are using it as your primary resource. Digesting the parts you don't know and translating it into your own short notes can really make a difference, IMO.

any reason why people didn't use First Aid Step 2 CK or Step to Step 2?

Members don't see this ad :)
so what would people suggest from these 3:

First Aid Step 2 CK +UWORLD

or

MTB 2 IM, MTB 3 for everything else, +UWORLD

or

Step up to Step 2 +UWORLD

Last edited:

or

or

I think it's apparent from the first fifteen posts in this thread, not to mention the innumerable other posts in this forum that have beaten this issue to death, that there is no single perfect solution. Step 1 was all about UW + FA. Methods to prep for Step 2 are far more dependent on the individual, other than the fact that UW is still pretty much indispensable. Some people use UW and nothing else for this exam.

I think it's apparent from the first fifteen posts in this thread, not to mention the innumerable other posts in this forum that have beaten this issue to death, that there is no single perfect solution. Step 1 was all about UW + FA. Methods to prep for Step 2 are far more dependent on the individual, other than the fact that UW is still pretty much indispensable. Some people use UW and nothing else for this exam.

So my question is, what did people choose and why did it work for them?

or

or

I am also studying for Step 2, so I cannot answer this question.

However, I will say that alot more 4th years at my school recommend FA or MTB (over SU2S2)

Going to start studying for CK in ~ 1 week. Planning on using MTB 2 and 3 + UWorld. SUTM if I have extra time. Skipping FA, SUS2, and Secrets for CK.

Does MTB 2 + 3 + UW have enough information regarding EKGs, X-rays, CT-scans, Biostats?

I am also studying for Step 2, so I cannot answer this question.

However, I will say that alot more 4th years at my school recommend FA or MTB (over SU2S2)

Does FA go over what to do next (sort of like what MTB does)? anyone who used this book know?

Does FA go over what to do next (sort of like what MTB does)? anyone who used this book know?

I have heard it doesn't really talk about "next best step" or "whats the best treatment" like MTB does. Don't quote me on it though, just passing on the info on what I have heard. I have decided to jump on the MTB bandwagon, and ordered both books. Hopefully that and UW, plus any wiki/google will fill in all the gaps necessary.

Why is it that the step 3 portion is better for the non-IM parts of MTB? How much overlap is there for step 2 and 3?

MTB seems to be missing info completely on certain subjects and topics, so I am wondering how people feel comfortable using it knowing it just skips out on topics completely.

That being said I am debating between FA or SUTS2. Can't find too many reviews on FA but wondering if anyone here has any ideas?

MTB seems to be missing info completely on certain subjects and topics, so I am wondering how people feel comfortable using it knowing it just skips out on topics completely.

That being said I am debating between FA or SUTS2. Can't find too many reviews on FA but wondering if anyone here has any ideas?

What topics do you feel it skips out on? UW probably covers it.

What topics do you feel it skips out on? UW probably covers it.

Neuro, Cardio (No EKGs), No Biostats, Missing tons of Psych drugs (maybe in MTB3) but I would prefer not to use 2 books. These are just things I can think of off the top of my head.

Neuro, Cardio (No EKGs), No Biostats, Missing tons of Psych drugs (maybe in MTB3) but I would prefer not to use 2 books. These are just things I can think of off the top of my head.

Oh okay, where are you getting this info from though?

EKGs are very clear in the EM section of MTB 2. And I'm not sure why you feel neuro isn't covered, it seems to be enough. (?)

Biostats is fairly straightforward. If you did it with Step 1, its the same stuff.

Oh okay, where are you getting this info from though?

EKGs are very clear in the EM section of MTB 2. And I'm not sure why you feel neuro isn't covered, it seems to be enough. (?)

Biostats is fairly straightforward. If you did it with Step 1, its the same stuff.

From comparing MTB with SUS2 and FA, the other 2 books have more info. Whether its HY or not, who knows.

From comparing MTB with SUS2 and FA, the other 2 books have more info. Whether its HY or not, who knows.

when u say other 2 books, are u saying FA and SUS2 has more info than MTB?

Also, I'v been trying to find the best combo, but can't seem to find a consensus...whats better, MTB 2 alone or MTB 3 alone?

Thanks!

When people talk about MTB 2 and 3, do they mean second edition and third edition or the one for step 2 for IM and the one for step III for everything else. Wouldn't the one for step III be jumping the gun?

MTB 2 IM + MTB 3 (Other subjects) spiral bound into one.

When you say other subjects - do you mean all the separate books like MTB Surgery, MTB Pediatrics etc? Or do you just mean use MTB 3 for other subjects?

So after sifting through a bunch of threads including this one It is clear to me that mostly everyone is going with MTB2 +MTB3 for their step2 prep.
And I have gathered why and what not... So I don't want to ruffle any feathers with this question but since I haven't seen it mentioned I just figured I would ask you all if you knew anything about a book that was mentioned to me ... Crush step 2. Just wondering if anyone has looked at it/ used it and thoughts about it?
Currently looking into getting a book or two to help give me some structure along with the Qbank.

(oh on a second note... our school does a rotation in Family med... probably most have this as well... But I am noticing that there is no real section for this ... is this just because its basically encompassed is Internal and others?)
Thanks guys for any comments feedback much appreciated.

So after sifting through a bunch of threads including this one It is clear to me that mostly everyone is going with MTB2 +MTB3 for their step2 prep.
And I have gathered why and what not... So I don't want to ruffle any feathers with this question but since I haven't seen it mentioned I just figured I would ask you all if you knew anything about a book that was mentioned to me ... Crush step 2. Just wondering if anyone has looked at it/ used it and thoughts about it?
Currently looking into getting a book or two to help give me some structure along with the Qbank.

(oh on a second note... our school does a rotation in Family med... probably most have this as well... But I am noticing that there is no real section for this ... is this just because its basically encompassed is Internal and others?)

My understanding is secrets is basically the same info from crush reformatted into question and answer format book. They were both wrote by Adam Brochert.

A lot of people here use secrets and like it.

oh ok.... didnt realize that... thanks for the info

Yes that's what I heard: that Secrets is essentially the same info.

With regards to Family Medicine, you are right -- it is basically encompassed in the other sections (Internal Med, OBGYN and Peds). There is a "Preventative Medicine" section in some review books and on UWorld though, which overlaps with family med.

Just to add, I am using Crush and Secrets as my books, and yes they have basically the same info. They were highly recommended to me by graduating M4s at my school. So far I'm pleased with them.

When you people say "Secrets" do you mean "USMLE Step 2 Secrets"?

Yes they do. One of either Crush or Secrets is the quickest resource to hit the highlights for Step 2. I personally wouldn't read anything else after Crush/Secrets other than UW assuming you have studied for and taken your shelf exams.

after getting tons of PM's for my file. i just decided to share it and make it public

i only ask you to let me know if you find errors so i can fix !

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rum4rtham1x4oyd/step 2 ck notes updated.doc

Thank you for this! This will be very helpful

Single book?

I read Master the Boards. It's not exactly detailed, but it gives you some very good review information to answer questions on the test and it doesn't overwhelm you. If I could only read one book for step 2, it would definitely be that one.

But I had a decent amount of time so I read quite a few books for step 2.

Single book?

I read Master the Boards. It's not exactly detailed, but it gives you some very good review information to answer questions on the test and it doesn't overwhelm you. If I could only read one book for step 2, it would definitely be that one.

But I had a decent amount of time so I read quite a few books for step 2.

MTB Step 2 or MTB Step 3?