y2janitor

10+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
Are there specific residency programs that have a reputation of having more single residents or more married residents?

cchoukal

15+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2001
SF, CA
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
my residency is about 50% married and of those married, roughly 50% have kids. Still, there are plenty of people within and outside of residency to go out with. I think the key is being in a hospital with lots of other residents in a large city with lots of other young people. Boston is crawling with college/grad-school-aged people. Chicago and New York are also good (I'm in Chicago). Rochester, MN, on the other hand... probably not as good.

Probably just as important is feeling out (not up) the residents on interview day as to how they all get along and what the social life is like.

Ferdie

10+ Year Member
Sep 9, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
not Dartmouth (otherwise a great program though)

usnavdoc

10+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
I think most residencies are going to be a mixed batch. More importantly is the location. Some cities are just better for single people.

Jape

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 11, 2007
Status
Non-Student
probably any residency in Miami...lol

amyl

ASA Member
10+ Year Member
Aug 19, 2006
between scylla and charybdis
Status
Attending Physician
programs that struck me as particularly family friendly: scott and white, dartmouth
programs good for singles: its all about the locale -- NYC, chicago, miami, dallas, LA, etc.