single friendly residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

y2janitor

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there specific residency programs that have a reputation of having more single residents or more married residents?

Members don't see this ad.

my residency is about 50% married and of those married, roughly 50% have kids. Still, there are plenty of people within and outside of residency to go out with. I think the key is being in a hospital with lots of other residents in a large city with lots of other young people. Boston is crawling with college/grad-school-aged people. Chicago and New York are also good (I'm in Chicago). Rochester, MN, on the other hand... probably not as good.

Probably just as important is feeling out (not up) the residents on interview day as to how they all get along and what the social life is like.

not Dartmouth (otherwise a great program though)

Members don't see this ad :)
I think most residencies are going to be a mixed batch. More importantly is the location. Some cities are just better for single people.

probably any residency in Miami...lol

programs that struck me as particularly family friendly: scott and white, dartmouth
programs good for singles: its all about the locale -- NYC, chicago, miami, dallas, LA, etc.