Single or double circular strand?

hunterpostbacst

10+ Year Member
Apr 7, 2009
  1. Pre-Dental
Just want to check below.

Prokaryotes are bacteria?

Then, prokaryotes have a circular single stranded DNA?

In virus, bacteriophage has circular single stranded DNA? And, a plasmid in bacteriophage has circular double DNA?

These are what I clarfied before, but while reviewing bacteria in classification in kaplan BB, it says bacteria has a single double stranded circular loop of DNA.

nze82

May 15, 2009
CA
  1. Dental Student
Just want to check below.

Prokaryotes are bacteria?
Bacteria are prokaryotic cell types.

Then, prokaryotes have a circular single stranded DNA?
Yes!

In virus, bacteriophage has circular single stranded DNA? And, a plasmid in bacteriophage has circular double DNA?
Bacteriophages are virus that infect bacteria. I think viruses have linear DNA/RNA.
I don't think bacteriophages contain plasmids.

These are what I clarfied before, but while reviewing bacteria in classification in kaplan BB, it says bacteria has a single double stranded circular loop of DNA.
Hope this helps!

About the Ads

UCB05

Jun 14, 2009
  1. Pre-Dental
That's correct. Bacteria have dsDNA, which accounts for the characteristic expanding double-stranded replication "bubble" of DNA. Plasmids are double-stranded as well, hence how it's possible to use restriction enzymes that target palindromic sequences to cut sticky ends. Viral DNA come in all varieties: ssDNA, dsDNA, ssRNA, dsRNA. They can be linear or circular. I think herpes virus has circular DNA.

A bacteriophage is a virus that infects bacteria. No plasmids, unless you're referring to the genome itself, which could be double-stranded circular like a plasmid (there are many types of bacteriophages)

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.