Single versus Roommate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What do you prefer, a single studio or 2 bedroom with roommate?

• Single

Votes: 29 69.0%
  • 2 Bedroom with Roommate

Votes: 13 31.0%

• Total voters

HomeNow

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am debating whether I should get a single apartment or a 2 bedroom apartment with roommate for medical school. What do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

depends what kind of person you are.

Personally, I would get a single if it was within your budget. I don't think I could survive with a roommate unless I had a 2 bed/2 bath.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you can afford the single apartment, go for it. In my experience, roommates have been nothing but annoying because they don't understand what it means to have to study for classes.

depends what kind of person you are.

This. I absolutely hate living alone, so even though I have the money to live alone, I live with a roommate.
You can get people's opinions, but what you read here really won't tell you what will be best for you.

If you can afford the single apartment, go for it. In my experience, roommates have been nothing but annoying because they don't understand what it means to have to study for classes.

I'd advocate for a 2 bedroom if you found someone that is also a graduate student (med, law, pharm, etc.) so you are respectful to each other's study habits. Plus, you can save lot of money to keep your debt low, and still live somewhere nice. A med student your own year could be tough bc the apartment would likely get filthy at exam times (which would annoy me personally, but might not bother some). Plus, the competition and gunner-ism could kinda ruin a friendship.

I amhaving roommate issues right now. They actually reported me for soemthing incredibly petty, and called me lazy, because they don't see all the cleaning I do, and I don't always tell them. They come in and it's ike the fairy was around.

I had to go talk with the dean of housing the other day, and explain what was going on. I am also ten years older than most of my roomies, and they really don't make a huge effort with me, as I have with them.

It's very frustrating come finals week when they decide something is wrong, and go over your head without even consulting with you first. Especally when you've checked with them about living situation stuff multiple times. My own personal feeling is get a single if you can afford it. I am thinking about transferring undergrads to a campus that has single furnished units I can actually afford as on campus housing.

I love my roommates and help them when they are in jams, but I was feeling tension for weeks, and no one said a darn thing. I kept asking, I'd rather know. So I am goign to try one more semester of the current living situation with different roomies, but if that is till the issue, no thanks I'll transfer.

Seriously I have come home to massive messes such as trash all over, and had to pick it u so I didn't throw up at the smell. All the dishes dirty int he whole house in different places and stacked int he sink. I figured they were younger and I'd jsut do it, because I remember I wasn't the most responsible person at their age. So I did tons around here, and so it became they only noticed the few times I simply could not.

So far roomie living is leaving me a bad taste. I have forgiven them, but just am not engaging anymore.

Okay sorry it turned into a vent, but just to let you know, if it were me I'd do the single apartment thing no housing/roomie issues.

PS i love my school, but if living is untennable, it definitely can affet my performance. Small classes really great supportive profs. Ireally hope that next time is better, would hate to leave over living situations.

Personally, I would get a single if it was within your budget. I don't think I could survive with a roommate unless I had a 2 bed/2 bath.

It totally depends on what type of person you are and what kind of roommate you can find. I know some people that are perfectly happy living by themselves but I'd probably go stir crazy if I lived in a studio apartment by myself. That said 2 bed and 2 bath is definitely clutch. That way you get your own space that you can keep as clean or as messy as you like.

I am attending medical school in the fall and I would like to know whether I should get a single studio or a 2 bedroom with another roommate. What are your thoughts?

Keep in mind, too, that on-campus is different than off-campus. On the one hand, with off-campus housing you are only responsible to yourselves and the landlord (and the health department ;) ), on the other hand, if your roommate walks away from an off-campus apartment you are on the hook for the entire rent (or need to find a new roommate as a sublet) whereas with campus housing the school will either leave the space unfilled or provide you with a new roomie (this could have its down side but at least you wouldn't have to worry about covering someone's share of the rent).

I think that a roommate can help you stay emotionally balanced and a roommate can be a comfort if you are sick and need a favor (I'm thinking particularly of living alone in an off-campus setting). Roommates who are economically in a situation similar to your own can be fun in terms of finding recreational activities to do together that are within your student budget. On the other hand, you need to have someone who respects your need to study and who has a sense of cleanliness and tidiness that is similar to your own.

Just a few thoughts from someone who has lived on & off campus in singles and doubles and with and without roommates in regular apartment buildings.

I am a third year med student and I live in med school apartments with three of my classmates. It has worked out fine, we are all busy, we are friends, we usually go out for a beer together on Friday or Saturday nights. Personally, it has been a good arrangement for me - fortunately, we are all pretty compatible.

I would go for two bedroom with apartmentmate setup. It is much cheaper and not as lonely. Go single if you get married or want to move in with a significant other.

This issue has been discussed ad nauseam before, so you can search for an older thread and see tons of opinions on the matter. Or, you can start a poll. Either way, it's a totally personal decision. I know plenty of people who get lonely and overwhelmed if they don't have a roommate. I know plenty of people who like living in groups of 3 or 4. I know plenty of people who get frustrated and pissy if they live with another med student, but love living with non-med students. And then I know plenty of other people who love living alone and vow never to live with a roommate again (I'm in this latter category).
Everyone assumes I get lonely- I don't. I truly, truly don't. I choose to spend less on other stuff in order to live alone because I find it really peaceful and mellow and I don't like living with other people. Again, as I said, tons of people disagree with me. It's a purely personal decision. There's no "med student"-ish way to do it that makes sense- just look at your finances, see what you can afford, and think about whether you'd get lonely living alone, and that's it.

This thread was X-posted in pre-allo. Users may respond to the OP here:

Last edited by a moderator:
studio/single... ur own bathroom + if u need company, you'll probably find someone to hang out with, u dont need to live WITH someone just for company..lol

I WOULD say though, if you live alone, try to live fairly close to school or fairly close to where your classmates live. Our school doesn't require us to go to most lectures, so there are plenty of days when I don't go to school at all, and stay home alone all day. I can live with it for a day or two if I'm busy, but besides that, I can get pretty bored. However, I live within a couple of blocks of a pretty large number of people in my class, and a 10 minute walk from school. I've been locked out of my apartment before and I was able to just walk to a friend's place and hang out there until my landlord opened it for me. If I'm sick, or need something urgent, or make too much food, I have lots of people within walking distance. I really think it's the best of both worlds.

I am attending medical school and I am deciding between leasing a single apartment versus a 2 bedroom with another roommate. What do you prefer?

unless you are excellent friends or are willing to coexist while being able to be harsh to each other, then go studio. i spent a few years living with roommates and my last year was awful.. it was a 2 bedroom with 4 people, 2 couples.. one couple had a 1 bedroom apartment and my SO and I had a bedroom... so never again will i live with roommates...

I couldn't live alone... too lonely and intimidating. Right now, I'm debating between an apartment with three roommates (what I've had in college housing in the past), or an apartment with one roommate. I'm leaning more towards three, just because I'm more likely to get out and socialize if I have more roommates. Plus, I think I have a higher chance of getting into that apartment. But I've had dozens of people tell me to go with one roommate, because there's less of a chance of me getting a crappy roommate.

I am attending medical school and I am deciding between leasing a single apartment versus a 2 bedroom with another roommate. What do you prefer?

How big is the studio vs how big is the 2 bedroom apartment? Do you already know your roommate or do you need to find one?