"sink condition" and dissolution rate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gablet

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This may seem like a simple question, but it is just not clicking for me. Can someone please explain what the "sink condition" is? What would be a situation where a drug would be immediately absorbed upon dissolution - does it only happen in testing?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I found it (not that anyone cares :( )

"Sink condition assures the complete dissolution of the drug. Sink conditions re fer to the excess solubilizing ca p a c i ty of the dissolution medium."

Members don't see this ad :)
gablet said:
Well, I found it (not that anyone cares :( )

"Sink condition assures the complete dissolution of the drug. Sink conditions re fer to the excess solubilizing ca p a c i ty of the dissolution medium."

My understanding, Gabby is that this is right. It is when the Saturation point is so much lower than the drug entering solution that it is negligible and therefore, you do not need to account for it in the equation. ...Sorry this is too late for the test.... Hope you did well.

Sink condition: insignificance accummulation of drug in receptor (i.e. that drug cant reach the receptor chamber, maybe because of removal by blood flow)