sitting in the dark all day...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

finallyMS3

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
the aspects of radiology that interest me is how cutting edge technology is used to solve diagnostic puzzles, visual examination of anatomy, and i like to think things over before making a decision (As well as lack of rounding/other drudgery).

my friends say "Radiology is boring... all they do is sit in a dark room all day" blah blah... i have heard this so much that i am wondering how true this is. obviously there must be interaction with other docs and support staff. i guess what i am wondering is how true is the stereotype mentioned above?

Members don't see this ad.

so after over 100 views, i'll take pity...

you can't really expect meaningful answers when you come to a forum filled with radiology applicants, residents, and attendings and ask for advice regarding a common misconception about our field. this tells us that you really have not done your homework. a minimum amount of research would have quickly dispelled most of your friends thoughts about radiology. you might as well have said, "i heard that radiologists make sweet bank and hardly do anything."

i'm not saying this to be harsh; i like to encourage others to take an interest in radiology. but you've got to at least meet us halfway.

so after over 100 views, i'll take pity...

you can't really expect meaningful answers when you come to a forum filled with radiology applicants, residents, and attendings and ask for advice regarding a common misconception about our field. this tells us that you really have not done your homework. a minimum amount of research would have quickly dispelled most of your friends thoughts about radiology. you might as well have said, "i heard that radiologists make sweet bank and hardly do anything."

i'm not saying this to be harsh; i like to encourage others to take an interest in radiology. but you've got to at least meet us halfway.
sorry. i am interested in rads for the reasons listed above... i know almost nothing besides that. i will be doing my first elective in rads, but this does not come until christmas time. until then, my main source of finding anything out is via SDN. thanks for your answer.

Members don't see this ad :)
radiologists do sit in a dark room for most of the day, yes it is true. however, they interact with other radiologists in the reading room and visiting clinicians to a pleasant degree.

the only way you can see for yourself if radiology is for you is to do a rotation in it. if you can't wait until christmas, try shadowing someone for a couple days.

At our institution, we have trouble figuring out how to get the med students engaged during their radiology electives. Unlike medicine or surgery, the role of a med student is pretty limited in radiology, and as a result, many students find it a boring, if cushy, rotation.

Things are a lot more fun if you are the one searching the study for abnormalities, and trying to piece together what you see with the clinical history. During your rotation, try to grab a few requisitions, look them over yourself, and then consult with your residents/attendings as they are reading out the cases to see how close you are, and what things you may have missed. This is infinitely more valuable than sitting behind a row of residents/attendings and watching them dictate studies, which is probably a large component of why people think radiology is a boring field.

If you are actively participating in the readings, and trying to figure things out on your own first, you stop noticing the darkness after about 5 minutes...

Once you get into all the subtleties of radiology, and how such a minor change on an image can directly impact patient care, it becomes incredibly fascinating. It's like getting paid to play Where's Waldo.

my friends say "Radiology is boring... all they do is sit in a dark room all day" blah blah...

Your friends are idiots, and I mean that in a nice way.

These will be the same people envying you for your relatively controllable lifestyle 10 years down the line and freely admit that they 'should have done rads when I had a chance to'.

i have heard this so much that i am wondering how true this is. obviously there must be interaction with other docs and support staff. i guess what i am wondering is how true is the stereotype mentioned above?

Yes, I sit in a dark room all day reading films.

Throughout the day, I probably have about 50 interactions with either my staff, referring clinicians or 'gasp' even patients who come for mammograms certain ultrasound studies or fluoro exams.

Do a rotation, you'll like it. And be aware that dpending on the department you rotate with, it can by anywhere from 'benign but boring' to 'exciting and interesting'.

Electives in radiology can be sooooo boring, when you are in the driver's seat things are way better. As someone suggested, taking a few reqs and starting to read is good practice, but often workstations are limited in numbers (at least in my part of the world). I try to stay awake, asking good questions, thinking things through myself before...

Interventional radiology certainly keeps you awake, you have to, or the lead will show no mercy...=)

As some residents have told me, when you're a PGY-2 things get better and better.

I don't think it's a boring field at all, I love diagnostics (rads, path et al.) so no wonder this is my primary interest as a specialty, yet I agree that the lack of sun may have an effect on behaviour, can someone pubmed search this?

noncestvrai

I'm on a Radiology rotation right now and I can tell you it is not a dark room. The screen lights up and you fall in to the anatomy and pathology and the thought process and your differentials... and not once during that time do you hear an IV pole (beep beep beep) or a pt screaming at their nurse, or a nurse screaming back (jk). The calm and serenity of being able to relax and analyze anatomy is playtime more so than worktime. If you enjoyed gross anatomy and teaching your peers anatomy in the lab or even outside of the lab, you'll love radiology!

Electives in radiology can be sooooo boring, when you are in the driver's seat things are way better. As someone suggested, taking a few reqs and starting to read is good practice, but often workstations are limited in numbers (at least in my part of the world). I try to stay awake, asking good questions, thinking things through myself before...

Interventional radiology certainly keeps you awake, you have to, or the lead will show no mercy...=)

As some residents have told me, when you're a PGY-2 things get better and better.

I don't think it's a boring field at all, I love diagnostics (rads, path et al.) so no wonder this is my primary interest as a specialty, yet I agree that the lack of sun may have an effect on behaviour, can someone pubmed search this?

noncestvrai

Throughout the day, I probably have about 50 interactions with either my staff, referring clinicians or 'gasp' even patients who come for mammograms certain ultrasound studies or fluoro exams.
50 interactions? :( I actually considered not meeting patients and clinicians the best part of rads...

50 interactions? :( I actually considered not meeting patients and clinicians the best part of rads...

Most are with my staff. Ultrasound techs who come to have studies checked before the patient leaves, CT techs who come with add-on studies to be protocolled, clerical staff who comes to hang those outside mammos we have been waiting for for 3 weeks.
And the way my shop runs, only the pleasant clinicians come around to ask about studies. The others are sufficiently deterred by my reputation of being a grouch ;)

the aspects of radiology that interest me is how cutting edge technology is used to solve diagnostic puzzles, visual examination of anatomy, and i like to think things over before making a decision (As well as lack of rounding/other drudgery).

my friends say "Radiology is boring... all they do is sit in a dark room all day" blah blah... i have heard this so much that i am wondering how true this is. obviously there must be interaction with other docs and support staff. i guess what i am wondering is how true is the stereotype mentioned above?

Honestly, I like it that many med students have this idea and that radiology will someday be shipped overseas. It means less competition for me. :smuggrin: When I hear this, I just smile and nod.

Honestly, I like it that many med students have this idea and that radiology will someday be shipped overseas. It means less competition for me. :smuggrin: When I hear this, I just smile and nod.

There are a lot of ideas/perceptions that aren't really true with radiology. The common public seems to think that the techs and radiologist are one in the same. God only knows how many people I've heard say "Oh, I've had a friend go into that! They went to *insert community college*" I know I'm not even a med student yet, but my life has been surrounded by radiology pretty much my entire life. (I'm the spawn of a tech and a radiologist) Growing up I was always kind of let down my dad didn't do the cool stuff...but as I watch and begin to learn, I realize how much cooler radiology really is. It truly is one of those fields that gets more interesting with increased knowledge. It is hard to get excited about sitting behind a person while they think. Yes, many radiologist spend a large amount of time in the dark, but it all depends on the radiologist too...and the hospital. I actually did a fair amount of running around when doing some of my usability research with PACS/RIS systems. Everyone has their own perception of what makes radiology cool/horrible. While all fields evolve, it really is exciting to me to think about the future technologies pertaining to radiology. It is one of those areas where the sky is the limit, and what you begin with will most certaintly not be with what you finish. That makes some people uncomfortable, but it really is one of those areas that personally attracts me to the field....whether I end up there is another story....I know what I say is held slightly above a special ed student as far as value, but I'm stubborn and voice my opinion regardless. So sorry. ;)