Sitting or Standing in Pharmacy? Unfortunate career change?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

CheshireCat1

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am a sophomore chemistry/pre-pharmacy student and I truly love and enjoy everything I am studying. I am passionate about medicine and improving people's quality of lives. Unfortunately, I do have a concern about it... Although I do not have arthritis, I do have chronic Costochondritis/ Tietze Syndrome (inflammation of the ribs and is benign) and it unfortunately afflicts my back as well. I am also quite sedentary due to all of the studying that I am committed to doing each day. I am highly concerned that standing every day for 8 hours or more would be something I would not be able to do. It breaks my heart since I have dreamed about being a future pharmacist for a long time. Does anyone have any suggestions or advice for me? Should I consider a career change? I know that in a hospital setting, pharmacists are seated more but I am aware that those are very competitive positions to get... If there would be accommodations for me in a retail setting, I feel that I would be frowned upon for not being able to be on my feet all day like everyone else and that is understandable. I am at a loss for what to do now and I am very disheartened that my body could prevent me from doing what I would love to do.
Thanks all.

*If a moderator sees this, I accidentally posted this in the pre-pharmacy section of the forum as well. It was a silly mistake on my part and I tried to delete it on that section. I'm sorry I am new and I did not know.
 
Last edited:
dont give up....they have nuclear pharmacy which you stand for 2 hours max per run which is 2 runs a shift and you still have pharmacist jobs where you can verify through a camera and stay at home (remote entry pharmacists)....compounding pharmacy....sit on a chair and compound **** all day if you want...become a board of pharmacy member after 5 years of practice....endless opportunities...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks everyone. Does retail pharmacy put a lot of stress on the upper body and back area? Do people get used to this over time? If I am able to use a stool for retail, would it be looked down upon and would some employers not allow it?
 
Thanks everyone. Does retail pharmacy put a lot of stress on the upper body and back area? Do people get used to this over time? If I am able to use a stool for retail, would it be looked down upon and would some employers not allow it?

A nice comfortable pair of shoes will also be necessary, otherwise you would be exhausted by the end of the day. Sitting on a stool shouldn't really be a huge problem when you're verifying/typing/etc. Look at it this way, if the company doesn't allow you to sit despite knowing that you have back problems, is that somewhere that you would want to work?