Sitting position during MCAT

Started by eunieex3
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

eunieex3

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For some reason, I am most comfortable and focused when I sit crossed-legged (pretzel style) in a chair with my shoes off. I'm hoping to wear flip flops to the exam and sit this way, but am afraid that the proctor would kick me out. I've heard horror stories about people being disqualified after taking off their sweater. Any comments?
 
Taking off a sweater is explicitly against the rules but they didn't say anything about shoes. I think I took my crocs off a few times during the test. You should be able to sit in that position just fine, but be prepared to not be able to as well. The desk/chair height might be a problem with sitting pretzel style.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For some reason, I am most comfortable and focused when I sit crossed-legged (pretzel style) in a chair with my shoes off. I'm hoping to wear flip flops to the exam and sit this way, but am afraid that the proctor would kick me out. I've heard horror stories about people being disqualified after taking off their sweater. Any comments?

I was told during the test (July '12) that my feet needed to be on the ground (I was sitting pretzel style at the time). That's essentially the worst that will happen, assuming that you aren't breaking any rules that you have explicitly been told about, eg. taking off a sweater. Just ask your proctor when you're getting checked in if there are rules about how to sit...I'd be willing to bet that different proctors will have different answers.