This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello everyone! I was accepted to admissions day on March 6th! Any one else going on this day?

Members don't see this ad.

Good luck to you both! It's a long but exciting day, the vibe from everyone is so positive and supportive!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Ill be joining you guys march 6th too! this happened kinda unexpectedly for me, is there any way to prep for this like the testing?

Ill be joining you guys march 6th too! this happened kinda unexpectedly for me, is there any way to prep for this like the testing?
Honestly I think using Khan Academy and MCAT prep material will probably be the best way to review for the test. I'm pretty clueless too.

I reviewed fundamentals using a MCAT prep book. If you have a firm grasp of that you should be fine with the random questions.

Hello, I got accepted to that admissions day as well. Looking forward to meeting everyone!
I would not recommend studying for these exams. They are only just used to see what all do you know already and are not taken into consideration heavily on your admissions status. These exams are basic knowledge and are not in the form of the MCAT. I would highly recommend just getting some sleep so you can survive the day

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone from cycle 2 heard anything yet?

Has anyone from cycle 2 heard anything yet?
At my Admissions Day we were told that we would be notified on April 6th. So maybe check your email tomorrow. Good luck.

does the program provide pre dental linkage?

I have been accepted from Cycle 2!

Congrats to everyone who has been accepted for Cycle 2! Housing information should be sent out soon. Us second years and some first years are going to need you to sublet! haha

Congrats to everyone. Hopefully this thread provided some insight on the application process and admissions day process for MEDPREP.

Reactions: 1 users
How did you guys pay for this program if you're an out-of-state student?

How did you guys pay for this program if you're an out-of-state student?

If you are out-of-state you will pay out-of-state tuition for the Summer and Fall semester of the first year. Usually during the Summer/Fall (earlier the better) you can change your residency and then will be considered as an in-state resident for the rest of the program starting the spring semester of the first year. If you do one of the Masters options then you will be able to have access to a bigger pool of money since you will be eligible for graduate federal loans and being a grad student will be more expensive. However, if you are just doing the traditional option then you can use what ever is left from undergrad financial aid. The problem that some traditional MEDPREP students run into is that they max out on the undergrad federal loans and will have to turn to life savings or do private loans. For example, I did traditional and I was maxed out with FAFSA for undergraduate loans so I did Sallie Mae the whole time. Granted I was an in-state student since the beginning and my mother is an alumni of SIU so I got an additional discount so I did not have to pull out too much for the whole program. I would research in advance which private loans have the lowest rates because some, especially like Sallie Mae, have high rates. Definitely paying off MEDPREP first when I start residency lol.

Also SIU grants in-state tuition to those who have a certain overall GPA/SAT/ACT and to those in surrounding states which include Missouri, Kentucky, Indiana, Arkansas, and Tennessee. Well I guess I did not have to write all of this since you will automatically get in-state rates since you are from Tennessee but this info might help someone else. HOWEVER, if you are from a surrounding state you will most likely want to change your residency to being an Illinois resident anyways in order to qualify for the SIU alliance acceptance [If you get a certain GPA (2.8 overall and BCPM), MCAT (498 at the moment), etc. you get an AUTOMATIC SEAT at SIU SOM...no interview...just accepted) you need to be an Illinois resident since they only accept Illinois residents to SIU. Phew I hope this helps out! I will attach a link for more info on in-state tuition

Southern Illinois University Carbondale | Tuition & Fees

@UMVoyager
Thank you sooooo much for the detailed response, I needed that. First, an automatic seat at SIU, no interview.....accepted?? That is amazing. To be clear, you mean once you have completed the program and obtained those metrics?

Also, I'm the same person in the new thread for the upcoming cycle, I didn't think anyone would respond here; I apologize. We can continue on the new thread if you like.

As far as loans, one has to apply for fafsa as if they are an undergrad, correct? Were you maxed out your first year or your second year? So if one is maxed out, they have to find a way to pay for the program?