Six year neuro MD/PhD's?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

CrimsonMirage

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm an undergrad majoring in neurobio and biochem right now. I was planning to apply to medical school this year, but I realized that I really love my neuro research. By the time I apply for an MD/PhD program, I would have been in my lab for almost two years, and I will be author on a research publication.

My question is about combined MD/PhD programs...specifically six year MD/PhD in neuro. How many of these are out there? I'm having trouble finding them. All I found so far was Brown, and they have a great one. They don't even require GRE's for entrance!
Any others out there? Please let me know! THANKS! 🙂
 
I'm an undergrad majoring in neurobio and biochem right now. I was planning to apply to medical school this year, but I realized that I really love my neuro research. By the time I apply for an MD/PhD program, I would have been in my lab for almost two years, and I will be author on a research publication.

My question is about combined MD/PhD programs...specifically six year MD/PhD in neuro. How many of these are out there? I'm having trouble finding them. All I found so far was Brown, and they have a great one. They don't even require GRE's for entrance!
Any others out there? Please let me know! THANKS! 🙂

Few (but some) md/phd programs require the gre. Almost every medical school
offers a phd in neuroscience. There are tons of md/phd programs. How long it takes you to graduate is a function of at least 3.5 years in medical school + however long it takes you to complete your phd. you are kidding yourself if you think that any PI would let you graduate with a phd with less than 3 years of full time research. at that will happen only if you totally kick arse and get a bit lucky. plan on at least at 8 year stint.

oh, and last i checked, brown only takes applications to their md/phd program internally (either as a first year med student or a ugrad senior in their bac-md program).
 
My question is about combined MD/PhD programs...specifically six year MD/PhD in neuro. How many of these are out there?

There's plenty of 6 year Neuro PhD programs...

Oh wait, an MD/PhD program in 6 years?! Extremely rare these days. Figure a PhD is typically 5-6, and you want to get an MD on top of that? Sorry, not gonna happen.

The average MD/PhD program these days is 8 years, and consider yourself blessed if you can do it in 7. It comes down a lot to luck, not hard work, so if you don't see yourself in a program for 8 or 9 years I'd advice not doing it.

All I found so far was Brown, and they have a great one. They don't even require GRE's for entrance!

The vast majority of MD/PhD programs don't require GREs, just 95th percentile MCAT scores (figure 34+, but 36+ is best).

If you're serious about MD/PhD, you'll most strongly want to consider this list of programs:

http://www.nigms.nih.gov/Training/InstPredoc/PredocInst-MSTP.htm

They are the biggest, government funded MD/PhD programs.
 
I don't know anything about the Brown Program since it is internal applications only, but I highly doubt that they would guarantee that you could get the degree in 6 years. Even if it is possible for the rare person to finish in 6 years, it would be ridiculous for a department to just hand out a PhD to everyone after 2/2.5 years regardless of where they are in their research. If it is the case that Brown just gives away PhDs in neuroscience after 2 years (which I highly doubt, considering the reputation of the school), then sign me up!

Neuro is becoming ridiculously popular now, especially among MD/PhD students. I haven't encountered many programs that lack a neuro option. Choose programs to apply to based on location and reputation. I'm going into neuro, and I had NO problems.