SJSM, AUA, or MUA?

Started by vhinrich
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

vhinrich

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I got accepted into SJSM, AUA, MUA, Windsor, and St.Matthews.

I narrowed it down to these three:

-SJSM
- Low tuition but problems with IMED status and unknown future of the school because of Dutch takeover

-AUA
- Looks like a good school but the tuition and the cost of living in Antigua are high

-MUA
- I don't know much about this school


I don't know which one to attend...Help me out
 
I got accepted into SJSM, AUA, MUA, Windsor, and St.Matthews.

I narrowed it down to these three:

-SJSM
- Low tuition but problems with IMED status and unknown future of the school because of Dutch takeover

-AUA
- Looks like a good school but the tuition and the cost of living in Antigua are high

-MUA
- I don't know much about this school


I don't know which one to attend...Help me out
MUA>AUA...look at their matches this year.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I got accepted into SJSM, AUA, MUA, Windsor, and St.Matthews.

I narrowed it down to these three:

-SJSM
- Low tuition but problems with IMED status and unknown future of the school because of Dutch takeover

-AUA
- Looks like a good school but the tuition and the cost of living in Antigua are high

-MUA
- I don't know much about this school


I don't know which one to attend...Help me out


I go to SJSM and no there isn't any problem with the Dutch takeover..the school makes the island $6 million according to the latest report from the Dutch government. And yes the cheap tuition is very attractive and that's why I went to that school and also because I know two people personally who passed the USMLE.

In terms of facilities and ease of authority I suggest you go to St. Matthews if money is not an issue. I know someone from St. Matthews and the school is really good in organization and in facilities but the tuition is a lot higher than SJSM.
 
I got accepted into SJSM, AUA, MUA, Windsor, and St.Matthews.

I narrowed it down to these three:

-SJSM
- Low tuition but problems with IMED status and unknown future of the school because of Dutch takeover

-AUA
- Looks like a good school but the tuition and the cost of living in Antigua are high

-MUA
- I don't know much about this school


I don't know which one to attend...Help me out


Why leave out Windsor and St.Matthews? Are they bad compared to AUA, MUA, SJSM?

Currently only Big 4 grads can work as docs in 50-states. What's the situation on the 2nd-tier carib schools? How many states can one apply for residency? work as resident? Be licensed dr?
 
Gonna keep fishing til you get the answer you want to hear?


haha, yeah its a big decision of my life i wanna do much research as possible before making a decisions. i actually got lots of info on AUA but very few info on MUA. I have heard MUA is a really good school, so just wanna get more info about it from few more people.
 
Neither of them are "really good" anythings, to be blunt. It's not a dis on the students that go there, I've worked with some as I said and they're good students, good people, and will probably make good doctors... if they can secure a residency. But going to the Caribbean should be your absolute last resort, after you've exhausted every other option, and even then you should only consider schools that have consistently placed the majority of their students into residency spots, ie SGU, Ross, Saba, and AUC. If you check out the NRMP data sets for international students, you can see which countries place the most students into US residency programs.
 
Neither of them are "really good" anythings, to be blunt. It's not a dis on the students that go there, I've worked with some as I said and they're good students, good people, and will probably make good doctors... if they can secure a residency. But going to the Caribbean should be your absolute last resort, after you've exhausted every other option, and even then you should only consider schools that have consistently placed the majority of their students into residency spots, ie SGU, Ross, Saba, and AUC. If you check out the NRMP data sets for international students, you can see which countries place the most students into US residency programs.


I agree. i checked that data. Do know anything about MUA and AUA loan programs?
 
I agree. i checked that data. Do know anything about MUA and AUA loan programs?

I'm not positive but I believe you must secure private loans for both of them, the US government hasn't authorized them to receive federal loans. I'm unsure of the Canadian process for foreign education loans.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad