1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

skeletal muscle physiology

Discussion in 'Step I' started by obiwan, Jun 6, 2008.

1. obiwan

obiwan Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    in FA it says that skeletal muscle has calcium induced calcium release. is this incorrect? i always thought cardiac muscle involved calcium induced calcium release from sarcoplasmic reticulum

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. agranulocytosis

Physician 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I believe you are 1/2 right. I thought that cardiac muscle and skeletal muscle had the same mechanism, but the nodes involve influx of Ca++ which result in direct depolarization. It's my understanding that skeletal and cardiac muscle involve Ca++-induced Ca++ release from the sarcoplasmic reticulum. That's the basis for dantrolene working as a skeletal muscle relaxant (via inhibition of ryanodine receptors on the SR). Now I don't understand how dantrolene doesn't affect myocytes...

4. opb

opb
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Skeletal muscle contraction is actually not a calcium-induced-calcium release mechanism. The ryanodine receptors in skeletal muscle cells are associated with voltage-sensitive receptors (dihydropyridine receptors) in the T-tubules. Depolarization of the T-tubles causes a conformational change in the DHP receptors which opens the ryanodine receptors. Then calcium is released.

Cardiac cells use the calcium-induced-calcium release method. The influx of Ca2+ opens the ryanodine receptors which cause release of Ca2+ from the SR. That's why extracellular calcium is required for cardiac myocyte contraction but not for skeletal muscle contraction.

5. agranulocytosis

Physician 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Thanks for the clarification, you guys are correct. Although I don't see where in FA it says this, obiwan. p347 in musculoskeletal physio lays it out just like opb says.

6. obiwan

obiwan Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Thanks for clarifying. i guess i misread the page.