skeletal muscle physiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

obiwan

Attending Physician
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
in FA it says that skeletal muscle has calcium induced calcium release. is this incorrect? i always thought cardiac muscle involved calcium induced calcium release from sarcoplasmic reticulum

Members don't see this ad.

in FA it says that skeletal muscle has calcium induced calcium release. is this incorrect? i always thought cardiac muscle involved calcium induced calcium release from sarcoplasmic reticulum

I believe you are 1/2 right. I thought that cardiac muscle and skeletal muscle had the same mechanism, but the nodes involve influx of Ca++ which result in direct depolarization. It's my understanding that skeletal and cardiac muscle involve Ca++-induced Ca++ release from the sarcoplasmic reticulum. That's the basis for dantrolene working as a skeletal muscle relaxant (via inhibition of ryanodine receptors on the SR). Now I don't understand how dantrolene doesn't affect myocytes...

Skeletal muscle contraction is actually not a calcium-induced-calcium release mechanism. The ryanodine receptors in skeletal muscle cells are associated with voltage-sensitive receptors (dihydropyridine receptors) in the T-tubules. Depolarization of the T-tubles causes a conformational change in the DHP receptors which opens the ryanodine receptors. Then calcium is released.

Cardiac cells use the calcium-induced-calcium release method. The influx of Ca2+ opens the ryanodine receptors which cause release of Ca2+ from the SR. That's why extracellular calcium is required for cardiac myocyte contraction but not for skeletal muscle contraction.