Sketchy Path

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rilte4

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts since the full version's been released? Trying to decide whether it's worth the $ and time investment.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
TERRIBLE. I love sketchy micro and pharm (a little less but still love it)...but sketchy path was awful. When there are more than 6 hours per system, TONS of cluttered and complex videos and images that make no sense, you are doing yourself more harm than good. My friend a year older than me only had a limited number sketchy path subjects at the time...and he told me after his exam he regretted not trusting Dr. Sattar more and adding the extra resource he felt hurt his score since its tons of hours of videos to get through

Reactions: 2 users
I'd just like to add my take to this- the videos are really long BUT some actually helped. Nephrotic vs Nephritic I'll never mix what falls under what simply because I remember the picture fairly well. Another great one was kidney failure. But I wouldn't watch the videos over and over- just the ones you need help with that are straight memorisation and watch it once to just get a good summary. The key is to use it along with pathoma not in replacement! Dr. Sattar is superior though for sure, no reason to replace him. I don't think it is absolutely awful and I'm definitely using it. Just because it's getting alot of hate. I actually find it better than Sketchy pharm tbh (only using that because I'm that desperate and it's my worst subject). But ofcourse nothing will beat sketchy micro.

Reactions: 1 users
I think Sketchypath is a great resource for me personally. I understand the videos are long, but so are some of the lecture series that some people like to use. What works for me is watching pathoma first. Then I watch sketchy, and it really helps to hammer down anything I missed from pathoma. The story and image also help me to keep all of the facts within a framework that I can remember much easier than a list of facts. The ones on renal stones, nephrotic, nephritic, PUD, and many of the others have a lot of great information in them. I am not saying they are perfect, but I think they are useful. People are used to sketchy being a quick, simple tool for memorizing a few facts like in sketchymicro, but the pathology is more has more background and teaching incorporated which I actually appreciate. Just my opinion of course.

I think Sketchypath is a great resource for me personally. I understand the videos are long, but so are some of the lecture series that some people like to use. What works for me is watching pathoma first. Then I watch sketchy, and it really helps to hammer down anything I missed from pathoma. The story and image also help me to keep all of the facts within a framework that I can remember much easier than a list of facts. The ones on renal stones, nephrotic, nephritic, PUD, and many of the others have a lot of great information in them. I am not saying they are perfect, but I think they are useful. People are used to sketchy being a quick, simple tool for memorizing a few facts like in sketchymicro, but the pathology is more has more background and teaching incorporated which I actually appreciate. Just my opinion of course.

Also agree with the above sentiment. I've only used it for trouble shooting specifics, but man some of them are really good. Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia might be the one that has helped me the most, & the Mario set up is perfect.

Thank you! Huge help to know which ones specifically you guys found useful

I looked through the first three chapters and decided to not purchase the full subscription. It is much too long, and there is way too much in a single image. There is no way I can remember all that.

Reactions: 1 user
Diclaimer: I haven't really been using pathoma very much so i can't compare it.

I've been using sketchypath a lot and like it. Its essentially just a lecture series, to a much greater degree than micro/pharm, but the images help me remember key points. I personally don't think 3 hours of lecture is all that much for "the entire GI unit" or "every form of anemia and thrombocytopenia". It requires a greater time commitment than Micro and Pharm, but I also find it easier to remember because the pathological understanding has a greater flow than "This bacteria is oxidase positive" or "This anti-epileptic causes weight loss".

Personally, whether its micro or pharm or path, I like that it gives me a mental image to refer to when I think of the disease. I'm not going to deny that sketchy works better for micro and pharm, but I guess I prefer their lectures to my school's lectures by a huge margin.

I watched that MI timeline vid in SketchyPath for less than a minute before skipping to the end. 30 minute video covering 65 details. The image itself was an incomprehensible mess at the end.

Just let Sattar have Path.

Everyone's ragging on sketchy path but I've actually found it extremely useful in some cases. I wouldn't use it as a primary path resource, that is, you're better off learning path that needs to be understood by other means (eg, heart failure, COPD). However, there are also a lot of details in path that require as much rote memorization from me as side effects in pharm or labs in micro. So no, I won't use sketchy path to learn that hydatidiform moles cause elevations in hCG (they're a proliferation of trophoblasts, that makes sense), but I will use it to quickly memorize its risk factors and numerous associations, or I'll use it to memorize all the markers/stains/blood smear findings for all the different leukemias and lymphomas, without getting them mixed up. I've been using it mainly for weaknesses since I don't like unnecessary overloading on sketchy images

Members don't see this ad :)
Sketchy Path is a hit or miss I feel. Some are way too long with lack luster memory hooks while others are extremely helpful.

Some of the ones I found helpful:
- All of the Heme path
- MI Timeline
- All of the Vascular Path

I usually watch pathoma and read FA before making my way to SketchyPath otherwise it doesn't always stick and takes twice as long to watch.

imho, sketchy path works great for me along with micro and pharm. So to each his own.
And pathoma not so much. I guess I'm more of a visual learner. humm

Everyone's ragging on sketchy path but I've actually found it extremely useful in some cases. I wouldn't use it as a primary path resource, that is, you're better off learning path that needs to be understood by other means (eg, heart failure, COPD). However, there are also a lot of details in path that require as much rote memorization from me as side effects in pharm or labs in micro. So no, I won't use sketchy path to learn that hydatidiform moles cause elevations in hCG (they're a proliferation of trophoblasts, that makes sense), but I will use it to quickly memorize its risk factors and numerous associations, or I'll use it to memorize all the markers/stains/blood smear findings for all the different leukemias and lymphomas, without getting them mixed up. I've been using it mainly for weaknesses since I don't like unnecessary overloading on sketchy images

I agree! It is less useful for learning the physiology or pathway behind the disease, but for areas that come down to pure memorization, it is really helpful. Some examples that stuck really well in my mind include the ovarian tumors, all the leukemia/lymphomas and their markers, the MI videos especially the timeline of changes, the heart murmurs (ie how standing, squatting, gripping affects each), the R-L shunts, lung carcinomas, renal stones, all the electrolyte videos, all the vasculitides, colorectal polyps, MEN, uterine bleeding, platelet/bleeding disorders, almost all of immunology, brain tumors and their markers....so as you can see it certainly is not every video that sticks in my brain forever, but certainly a lot of them I found to be helpful. It may take 30 minutes to watch a video...but if that is the last time I ever have to spend more than 5 minutes on that topic as a quick refresher, I find that to be well worth it.

I agree! It is less useful for learning the physiology or pathway behind the disease, but for areas that come down to pure memorization, it is really helpful. Some examples that stuck really well in my mind include the ovarian tumors, all the leukemia/lymphomas and their markers, the MI videos especially the timeline of changes, the heart murmurs (ie how standing, squatting, gripping affects each), the R-L shunts, lung carcinomas, renal stones, all the electrolyte videos, all the vasculitides, colorectal polyps, MEN, uterine bleeding, platelet/bleeding disorders, almost all of immunology, brain tumors and their markers....so as you can see it certainly is not every video that sticks in my brain forever, but certainly a lot of them I found to be helpful. It may take 30 minutes to watch a video...but if that is the last time I ever have to spend more than 5 minutes on that topic as a quick refresher, I find that to be well worth it.

Lists like this really helped me out with the mountain of available resources when I was starting M2, so here's hoping it helps a few others

I chuckle at young folks here thinking Sattar is God of pathology. Try Goljan. Compared to him Sattar looks like a imbecile when I watched and read Pathoma. I'm not joking, Pathoma is way too simplified - it might do a disservice for you on exam.

I chuckle at young folks here thinking Sattar is God of pathology. Try Goljan. Compared to him Sattar looks like a imbecile when I watched and read Pathoma. I'm not joking, Pathoma is way too simplified - it might do a disservice for you on exam.

Good info but imo terrible organization. It looks like a phone book and was completely unreadable to me. Also no videos to explain concepts more clearly - you can't deny that Sattar's drawings are second to none. For me BnB does the job with all the necessary additional info that Pathoma lacks. Then i just review pathoma to consolidate concepts.

Pathoma and first aid are enough for step 1.
Yeah. It’s not 700 pages like goljin but do you really thing you’ll have those 700 memorized on test day?

Maybe if your path curriculum is weak use goljin but it’s so much and often too much.

FA and pathoma are the proper amount of in-depth ness for step 1. I did not use pathoma or goljin though. Goljin just by skipping thru was a nice book but too in depth

One could do well just with Fa and uworld

+1 to SketchyPath.

I watch both Pathoma and Sketchy. Sketchy actually includes more information. The videos are long with lots of information but so are the Pharm videos. It helps me retain the information and 10-25 minutes is nothing compared to 3-4 50min lectures my school gives on a topic.

SketchyPath, like all resources, requires work. You will not get it down in a single watch. You have to be referring back to it occasionally, just like with FA and Pathoma. However, unlike Pathoma and FA, you will have a framework of organization for these details for YEARS to come because of the association of details to a picture. It's very different from memorizing a dry laundry list of details that you will forget after Step 1.

With that said, there are good and bad sketches. The trick is to not feel compelled to use all of them but also give the sketches an actual try. Many of them I found were absolutely gold and will probably lay the foundation of knowledge for me even when I am a practicing doctor just because they are so memorable.

Many of them I found were absolutely gold and will probably lay the foundation of knowledge for me even when I am a practicing doctor just because they are so memorable.

Care to name a couple you liked?

Care to name a couple you liked?

Some of them would be Hydrocephalus, Thalassemia, Congenital Bone Diseases (loved the GoT reference!), Skin cancers, the Leukemias, and Vasculitides. I haven't watched a lot of them yet, so I'm sure I'm going to run into more that I like. I hear the renal ones were also pretty good.