Sketchy Pharm Over M1 Summer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

greentealeaves

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I plan to do Sketchy Pharm this summer between M1 and M2. I have a traditional curriculum with normal first year and path second year. I've already finished Sketchy Micro. Any suggestions on how to approach Sketchy Pharm? Should I start at antimicrobials and go from there or is there a better way to approach it?

Just for reference, I have already taken an intro pharm class at my medical school which went over basic pharmacological concepts (pharmacokinetics, pharmacodynamics) as well as some of the fundamental drugs such as autonomic drugs and anesthetics for which I have already completed Sketchy Pharm.

Members don't see this ad.

sounds like a winning play. and use an anki deck to keep it fresh.

For sure. You could also consider reviewing biochemistry and immunology... It's what I'll be doing this summer. You learn them very early on and might forget them, and yet they're high yield for Step

Members don't see this ad :)
That’s what I did and I do not regret it. Just understand that some sketches are great and some are horrible (antimicrobials), so don’t get discouraged if you start with that and they are not great.

excellent idea. pair it up with questions on uworld and videos on b and b.

Is doing all of Sketchy pharm still recommended given the changes in STEP 1 to reduce pharmacotherapy questions?

so there’s some stuffs changed in sketchy micro/pharm. does anyone have an errata or update fo that?

Hi greentealeaves!

I think it's a great thing that you are starting sketchy pharm early and coming up with a good game plan. It's also great that you've gotten through sketchy micro already. I highly recommend that students go through both sketchy pharm and micro well before they start designated studying for Step 1. In my opinion, the best approach is to watch the videos one time through and take notes so that when you review go back to review you do not have to re-watch videos but can briefly skim over the pictures to jog your memory. What I used to do was annotate the pictures on the Notability app on my iPad and then save the PDFs onto my computer. I still have those saved PDFs and refer to them even in residency! In fact, I am currently studying for my Step 3 and constantly refer to those PDFs that I created back in M1/M2.
In terms of the video order, I recommend going with whatever pharmacology topic you are reviewing in school. However, if you are not currently taking pharm and are just trying to get ahead, the order doesn't really matter.

Hope that helps!

Annette G, MD, MPH - USMLE Tutor and Residency Advisor at Med School Tutors

You’ll see when you watch them. They are very long, too much info, etc. I’ll never forget how bad the macrolide video was.
The macrolide video was great lol. I enjoyed all the antimicrobials tbh. Are they as good and concise as sketchymicro? No, but they still get the job done.

The macrolide video was great lol. I enjoyed all the antimicrobials tbh. Are they as good and concise as sketchymicro? No, but they still get the job done.
Funny you say that, there was a r/medicalschool thread the other day bashing the macrolide one. I def think they should have dropped the format after the first stanza, as much as I like The Raven