skipping questions on the MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
S

swiftaqwer

During the real test, when you skip questions, how should you remind yourself that you have skipped those questions? Do you write down the question number on your scrap paper? Could you share your methods?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I would write down the number on the scratch paper, but also fill in a guess in case you don't have time.

the online test has a 'mark question' feature that allows you to mark all questions of which you are unsure. at the end you can click on a button to review all your answers - the screen pulled up will tell you which questions you've marked and which you've left unanswered. you can then go directly to these questions. hope this helps.

There is a function on the actual MCAT test that will take you to a screen showing all the questions and it clearly marks the ones you skipped.

Members don't see this ad :)
i think its best to pick an answer and mark it. That way, if you run out of time, you don't have any unanswered questions

I agree...you should just put an answer down anyways and mark it so that IF you have time you can return to it. It doesn't run the risk of leaving the asnwer blank.

I agree...you should just put an answer down anyways and mark it so that IF you have time you can return to it. It doesn't run the risk of leaving the asnwer blank.

Is there any problems leaving something "marked" if you don't go back and "unmark" it? It doesn't effect or interfere with the scoring, does it? (I'm sure this is a stupid question :oops: ut I just wanted to clarify.)

No, marking it doesn't effect your score whatsoever...it just gives you the chance to go back and revisit the question after you finish your test and have left over time. At the end of the test (if I remember correctly) there is an option to revisit the marked questions, the unanswered questions, or review the entire test.

I answered every question and marked the ones that I would like to go back to. That way, in case I didn't have the chance I would have still marked an answer. The actually test format is very similiar to the online CBT's, but the one on actual test day is soo organized. You should find it very easy to navigate. Good luck!

I would highly recommend, as some have mentioned, to both mark the question for review AND select an answer.

It is not worth not having SOME answer down for every question. You never know how the time will work out in the end, if you will have time to look at the review page, or if you will find questions better deserving of your precious time prior to completing a section.

ANSWER EVERY QUESTION THE FIRST TIME AROUND.... Then if there is time, you can review the "marked" questions.

No penalty for marking, no penalty for unmarking, no penalty for guessing; HOWEVER THERE IS A PENALTY FOR NOT ANSWERING--A GUARANTEED WRONG ANSWER

I would highly recommend, as some have mentioned, to both mark the question for review AND select an answer.

ANSWER EVERY QUESTION THE FIRST TIME AROUND.... Then if there is time, you can review the "marked" questions.

No penalty for marking, no penalty for unmarking, no penalty for guessing; HOWEVER THERE IS A PENALTY FOR NOT ANSWERING--A GUARANTEED WRONG ANSWER

Totally Agree, never leave a question unanswered... I had marked a few questions "to review" but I barely had time to finish w/o review...

The AAMC and Kaplan practice exams both have the 'mark' feature (called 'guess' on the AAMC tests), as well as the 'review' feature, which takes you to a page that displays all the problem numbers, and indicates whether you have answered a particular question, left it blank, or marked it. Make these features your friends. Get in the habit of marking questions that are taking longer than one minute to answer, and move on. If you do so, you should have plenty of time at the end of each section to sit and think about the more difficult questions, with the confidence that comes from knowing you have already answered all of the easier ones. Remember, the MCAT is a numbers game, and you don't get more points for the difficult ones, so save them for last if you can.

If you get in the habit of pacing yourself this way, then it will be second nature on exam day.

Just to clarify: when I say 'mark' a question, I mean that you should answer it (randomly, if need be), mark it, and then return to it at the end, as other people have suggested.

There was a recent thread discussing the use of the 'Mark' feature..I think one negative aspect of it was it only displays the marked question for that passage..That could be annoying, I'd rather see the passage and all the Qs. I bypassed the whole mark system and just wrote the question # in the corner (away from all the random scribbling!) of my scratch paper.

Definitely select an answer for every question the first time around, even if it's just a guess. You never know what discrete question you will get stuck on (or obsess over) and suddenly run out of time.

I never used the mark feature on the real thing, which was good because I didn't have any time to go back really anyways.

the online test has a 'mark question' feature that allows you to mark all questions of which you are unsure. at the end you can click on a button to review all your answers - the screen pulled up will tell you which questions you've marked and which you've left unanswered. you can then go directly to these questions. hope this helps.

:thumbup: