Skulls for Anatomy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NOLAdentist2016

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do we really need to buy a skull for anatomy? It's on the list of required items, but it seems like from what I've heard around here, it's just gonna be an expensive paper weight. All of the second years are trying to pawn them off on us, which further makes me wonder if they are actually a useful tool or a waste of money. So my question is, did you buy one and did you actually use it? Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome!

Members don't see this ad.

How much is a skull? I have never looked. Anyway, my program didn't require one and it would have been completely unnecessary. If you really need one, you might be able to go to your health science library and use it if available.

It was invaluable when we took anatomy. Afterwards, you probably won't have much use for it.

How much is it? If it's not one of the nice $300+ ones that have patent foramina, I wouldn't bother.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do we really need to buy a skull for anatomy? It's on the list of required items, but it seems like from what I've heard around here, it's just gonna be an expensive paper weight. All of the second years are trying to pawn them off on us, which further makes me wonder if they are actually a useful tool or a waste of money. So my question is, did you buy one and did you actually use it? Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome!

My med school roommate had one and let me borrow it. Honestly, one can learn the skull just looking at Netter and then glancing at a dry skull in lab. I wouldn't buy one. Netter is all you need.

We were given a "bone box," as it was called, in our gross anatomy class that had most of the bones of the body. The skull is very useful imo, it was nice to have a model to identify the various foramina in the skull with the Atlas as your guide.

Our school borrowed us real dried skulls for the semester. No charge as long as you returned it, but $500 if you lost it...

I think it was a great help, we actually took some of our exams right on the skulls. If you have access to one in lab, I wouldn't bother buying one. I'd find out whether you have to actually point the anatomy out on a skull for exams, or if they are just written.