Recommendation Letters for Ortho Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

WhyNotDentalSchool19

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone. I am sorry if this has been asked before but been having trouble finding it. I’ve decided to apply ortho kind of late in the game. I’m a D3 and don’t really have any orthodontists I can ask for rec letters. I’ve got a strong GRE score, research, and ECs. How much of a hindrance will this be? Does anyone have any suggestions for me at this stage?
 
When I got LoR for ortho, I had two orthodontists that I knew well. One clinical faculty and two regular faculty.

If I were you, I would try contacting local orthos to shadow because some schools require at least 1 LoR from an orthodontist. I think the ortho LoR is important, I was able to get 6 interview invites and I believe 2 of them were because of the ortho's LoR.
 
Yes start shadowing local orthos and see about getting a rec letter. Pro tip-find orthos who are also adjunct faculty at a residency OR involved in organized orthodontics. Having a rec letter from them helps out a ton bc a program director/chair may know them very well and can boost your chances.