Skulls for home study - plastic or real?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ncalcate

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been thinking about investing in a skull for home study. I have found a bunch of plastic skulls that are marketed as being for medical and dental students. I have also seen a bunch of real skulls (but a lot more expensive) being sold on eBay.

Right now I am leaning towards one of the plastic skulls. Below is a link from eBay from a plastic one that I am looking at:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3806663838&category=31480

Does anyone have any input? Does anyone study anatomy at home with a plastic skull? Real one?

Members don't see this ad.

We use real skulls for anatomy at my D-School. However I never even opened my bone box or looked at my skull the whole semester. I guess everyone learns differntly but I would just buy a Netter anatomy and not waste it on a skull. Most schools like let you you use the bones for the semester then you give them back. I dont know why you want to invest in your own bone collection???

I studied with a plastic skull at home, it was very helpful for me. Not only just in anatamy but also in my occlusion course and the 10-15 other courses we looked at the TMJ in. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Why not just get a whole skeleton?

I've got a few in my closet I can loan to you.

I personally have never seen a plastic skull that can be as real of a real skull. It is almost impossible to duplicate the complexity of cranial base, the fine impressions of veins and vessels and all the foramina....the bones are almost shaped and sculpted around with muscles, nerves and vessels.

I think itt is extremely helpful to use a reall skull to study craniofacial anatomy.

A real skull is undoubtedly better, but if you don't have the cash then you should just use what the school provides. There comes a point when the skull becomes fairly useless and it also is of no help for Board study.

wow. how funny? i was just telling a friend yesterday that i would like to have a full skeleton in my house once i get to IN.

just wondering, how expensive are they?
i have no idea how much $$ i'd need. please help.

Originally posted by PERFECT3435
wow. how funny? i was just telling a friend yesterday that i would like to have a full skeleton in my house once i get to IN.

just wondering, how expensive are they?
i have no idea how much $$ i'd need. please help.

I don't quite know who much an entire skeleton would cost, but real human skulls in good condition go for at least $200 on Ebay, if not more. Just search for "medical skull" on Ebay and you'll see all the listings.

thank you for your help.

i found this link that have some pretty good ones. they aren't real but i don't think we have to have real human skeleton or skull to learn what we need to learn.

http://www.promedproducts.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=PP&Category_Code=AF

BTW, i saw some full skeleton set on ebay for ~300. the only thing i don't like about them is that they don't have the origin, insertion stuff.
as far as a real one goes, you don't even wanna know. almost 1000.

If u can't afford the real skull, then just use what the school provides you. The bone box, Netter atlas would be sufficient enough to get an A in anatomy.
Have fun, it's one of the best class in your profession

Or that dude at the UCLA med school who sells body parts illegally...

Talk about skullduggery... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

i have a plastic one, wanna buy mine? it's a good replica...

Why would you want one? Aside from studying for one or two tests, I don't see the usefulness of owning your own skull. However, I guess it could be an interesting coffee table conversation piece.
If you insist on buying a skull, I'd go ahead and get the value combo: skull, patella, spleen, and a medium drink for only $19.99.

Originally posted by dientesfuertes
[....]If you insist on buying a skull, I'd go ahead and get the value combo: skull, patella, spleen, and a medium drink for only $19.99.
And you can value-size it for only $1.39 more!!!

Originally posted by dientesfuertes
Why would you want one? Aside from studying for one or two tests, I don't see the usefulness of owning your own skull. However, I guess it could be an interesting coffee table conversation piece.

Or if any of us dental students are aspiring Shakespearian thespians prone to soliloquys.. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

*ahem* "to be a dentist... or not to be..." :D

Are you guys talking about the skulls from "real human beings"? Or you are talking about the imitated human skulls?

I found it is really helpful to build the 3D relationship of each bone in my anatomy class. The only reason that I want to get my own one is the classroom would not be opened except class time. So, I can't get in to study for it. I just wonder in dental schools if the classroom is open for the student to study by their wish? Thanks.

most dental schools have their anatomy labs open 24/7. They also give you a bone box to take home and study. These are sufficient enough. And you have also many atlases lying around. Just study from atlas is also good.