Skype interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted158872

I wonder if there would be a time when medical schools would do interviews via the internet and show students virtual tour of the schools... That would save students lots of traveling expenses...

Members don't see this ad.

I wonder if there would be a time when medical schools would do interviews via the internet and show students virtual tour of the schools... That would save students lots of traveling expenses...
I would never pick between schools based only on a Skype interview/tour unless I was literally on my last dollar.

Reactions: 1 user
I think getting into ANY school is lucky enough... but then, if I got into multiple schools, I feel that I wouldn't need an in-person meeting/tour to make decision. Plus, I think students with modest means understand that $300-$700 spent for each trip is a big amount of money.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think getting into ANY school is lucky enough... but then, if I got into multiple schools, I feel that I wouldn't need an in-person meeting/tour to make decision. Plus, I think students with modest means understand that $300-$700 spent for each trip is a big amount of money.
I totally understand how much money that is. Please don't mistake me for someone who grew up on Easy St with a silver spoon. It's gonna be rough, for sure. But to me, it's worth it. :shrug:
I've been saving for 2yrs for this app cycle, and if I hadn't been fortunate enough to be able to do that, I'd be getting credit cards or a personal loan or something. Hopefully I'll be nice and broke by the end of it, lol! :xf: interviewsplz :xf:

Trust me; being there in person is pretty much essential, unless that is your only offer.

I know Hopkins offers the opportunity to do interviews via Skype.

But I agree with others that it would be very hard to (1) get a decent impression of the school or (2) make the best impression. I was scraping pennies and using credit cards to get through this application cycle, but had I been offered a Skype interview at a school I cared about, I would have still opted to go in person.

Reactions: 1 user
I feel like it should be used as a last resort if you have the option to interview/tour by Skype. Going in person will definitely give you a better feel of the campus and the surrounding area. You also can give the interviewer a firm handshake. :)

Suppose i only got 1 acceptance offer from a school where I went to in-person interview and even if i didn't like the vibe of the school (vs. other schools i interviewed at), i don't think i'd be in a position to be picky/turn them down... oh well.

We usually have a very small handful of applicants that we interview via Skype each year. It's not ideal but I suppose it works.
That's awesome. Whom would your school interview via Skype? Can applicants request to be interviewed online?

That's awesome. Whom would your school interview via Skype? Can applicants request to be interviewed online?

You can request it but it will almost certainly be denied unless there's absolutely no way for you to leave wherever you are. This isn't a service offered for convenience - it's for people that have no choice. One guy that I interviewed was abroad running a non-profit and really couldn't take the time to leave where he was (Africa) for a week or two to come interview.