Slackers asking for notes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

queenalex

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What would you do if your friend who hasn't been coming to class (non-science class) asks you for 2-3 weeks worth of notes right before a test/paper? Is this common practice for non-premeds since they are usually not graded on a curve? What's an appropriate way to say no to a friend?

Members don't see this ad.

queenalex said:
What would you do if your friend who hasn't been coming to class (non-science class) asks you for 2-3 weeks worth of notes right before a test/paper? Is this common practice for non-premeds since they are usually not graded on a curve? What's an appropriate way to say no to a friend?

Stop being a cut-throat gunner and give your "friend" the notes.

Members don't see this ad :)
queenalex said:

I was in a similar situation before, but in an organic chemistry class. I gave notes to my friends sporadically, whenever they didn't show up to class. That was fine. Then it got to the point where they EXPECTED me to give them notes. Screw them. I can understand not making it to class for a couple of days, but expecting me to bail them out b/c they're too lazy to come to class? I didn't give them notes right before a big exam, and needless to say they didn't do so well. Suddenly, after the exam, they started showing up to class. Anyways, if their grade doesn't affect yours, do what makes you feel comfortable and what you feel in your gut is right. Oh and i didn't know what an appropriate way is of saying no to them was, so I just told them exactly how I felt, they were upset at first, but they got over it.

Sundarban1 said:
Stop being a cut-throat gunner and give your "friend" the notes.

I always thought a gunner is defined as someone who uses his or her knowledge to belittle others. In this case I think my friend dug her own hole.

deuist said:
For an entire semester, I gave all of my diligent notes from one of my classes to a friend of mine. He then rewarded me by giving me all of the Kaplan MCAT books.

Haha. Maybe I could ask my friend to clean my room? do my laundry? infiltrate an adcom?

queenalex said:
id probably give it, you can always sell them though. where theres a demand theres money to be made. oh, or you can barter like a prior poster said. but barters the same thing as money only not as efficient.

hello, I think you should just give the notes to your friend. And good karma will reward you by offering you acceptance to your number one choice!

queenalex said:

Give them the notes. You'll do this in medical school anyway.

Don't be a prick.

queenalex said:

With friends like you, who needs enemies?

queenalex said:

i never understood why pepople were so stingy with their notes, esp with your 'friend'

Members don't see this ad :)
you might as well let him have your notes because it is now his job to figure out your unique style of notetaking. my notes usually fit in my handy-dandy 7"x9" looseleaf binder and if somebody wants them i just let them have it. personally i don't find class notes all that helpful for i feel that i can get most of what i need by reading the book. but everyone has a different way of learning.

As someone who's been on both sides of this, I'd give him/her the notes. First, if she's really a good friend you should help her out. Although it may save her in this instance, she can't continue doing this forever. If it's a liberal arts class, than why not? It's not like she's competing against you in something that could hurt you big in the long run (ex. quotas for grades in ochem, etc). I know you don't want to let her get an easy grade off your work (taking notes), but she's going to have to study them anyways and depending on how well she studies is what determines what grade she'll get. The notes don't guarentee an A. I agree with a previous poster on bartering or selling them though. If you're helping her out, might as well get something out of it. In addition to that warm fuzzy feeling of course...

I like avoiding this issue by having ridiculously illegible handwriting.

. . . Hey, I can PRETEND it's by choice, right? :laugh:

ppl make good points concerning the fact that it is supposed to be a "friend" after all. if its a real friend i would think giving notes shouldnt be a problem, if you expect the friend to return the favor someday. bc thats what friends do, help each other out, give here take there. unless youre using the term friend loosely, which ppl often do. i wouldnt actually sell, id give it no problem unless its a user "friend". i hate users, the kind who you know will never return the favor. damn them, if thats what this person is then brush him off in a second

Here's a question for you guys regarding something that happened to me. Say you had a friend who attended EVERY single class, but was a bad notetaker. She often asked to borrow your notes for 1/2 an hour after class to supplement her own. Do you lend them to her or say, "Sorry, but if you want good notes you should take your own."

PS - I was the note borrower.

ms1finally said:
Here's a question for you guys regarding something that happened to me. Say you had a friend who attended EVERY single class, but was a bad notetaker. She often asked to borrow your notes for 1/2 an hour after class to supplement her own. Do you lend them to her or say, "Sorry, but if you want good notes you should take your own."

That kind of statement would get you immediately ostracized as a gunner in medical school.

queenalex said:

Give or don't give the notes but, if it's really such a dilemma for you, don't call this person a friend. What if one day a friend will ask you for some REAL help? Sometimes I wonder if pre-meds are human.

Apparition said:
Give or don't give the notes but, if it's really such a dilemma for you, don't call this person a friend. What if one day a friend will ask you for some REAL help? Sometimes I wonder if pre-meds are human.

I agree with this statement.

queenalex said:
Is this common practice for non-premeds since they are usually not graded on a curve?

I like it how you are acting like non-premeds are some sort of other species of students. In whatever class you are taking, at least in my university, either we all get curved or we all don't.

I don't like it when people talk of themselves as pre-meds being all high and mighty. Yes, we chose a difficult field, but let's do it with some class and not treat people who didn't chose to go into medicine like they are lower then ourselves. That won't get you far in life. :oops:

By the way, this was my 400th post! :laugh: :thumbup:

ms1finally said:

If you don't lend them to her, you are not only her friend, but you are a poor excuse for a human being.

ms1finally said:

If you don't lend them to her, you are not only NOT her friend, but you aren't someone I ever want to meet.

I also feel sorry for your patients, since you have absolutely no compassion for others.

OSUdoc08 said:
If you don't lend them to her, you are not only NOT her friend, but you aren't someone I ever want to meet.

I also feel sorry for your patients, since you have absolutely no compassion for others.

Wait a minute - read a bit more carefully OSUdoc!! I said I was the "note borrower." Anyone who wants my class notes is more than welcome to them, although often they aren't worth the paper they are written on!!!!!

ms1finally said:
Wait a minute - read a bit more carefully OSUdoc!! I said I was the "note borrower." Anyone who wants my class notes is more than welcome to them, although often they aren't worth the paper they are written on!!!!!

I wasn't referring to you. I was referring to the person that wouldn't give you the notes.

OSUdoc08 said:
Give them the notes. You'll do this in medical school anyway.

Don't be a prick.

I agree with the others that you should give the notes. Its not like he/she is asking for the answers to the homework or something.

What's the big deal? So this person has your notes for and hour or two at the copy machine. I sometimes even type my notes and send it to my friend. It helps me retain the information and I've been doing very well in the class.

queenalex said:

you consider this person your friend? friends help each other out...

dont be the stereotypical premed arse.

queenalex said:

I understand completely. I may not want to give the notes up, either. People who just float through life piss me off-- education is something you EARN here, people!
However, I do think that you could use this to your advantage. Tell the friend that you don't think it's fair that they blew off the class and then expect you to just give the notes up. So tell them they can earn the notes from you. Like by back rubs and foot massages and washing your car and stuff. There's obviously stuff you COULD'VE been doing had you not been in class earning your grade. Figure out what you think they're worth and then barter. (Money seems a bit inethical)
As for those of you who think I'm a heartless bizitch for saying this: well, sure I am. I'm compassionate but NOT sympathetic. He who wants sympathy, get it elsewhere. He who wants me to help them help themselves? Well that's an entirely different story. I'm happy to help someone if they'll help me back. Otherwise, I'm not going to waste my time on time-burglars.
ALTRUISM is a facticious concept. If you disagree, you're probably lying to yourself.

Asherlauph said:
I understand completely. I may not want to give the notes up, either. People who just float through life piss me off-- education is something you EARN here, people!
However, I do think that you could use this to your advantage. Tell the friend that you don't think it's fair that they blew off the class and then expect you to just give the notes up. So tell them they can earn the notes from you. Like by back rubs and foot massages and washing your car and stuff. There's obviously stuff you COULD'VE been doing had you not been in class earning your grade. Figure out what you think they're worth and then barter. (Money seems a bit inethical)
As for those of you who think I'm a heartless bizitch for saying this: well, sure I am. I'm compassionate but NOT sympathetic. He who wants sympathy, get it elsewhere. He who wants me to help them help themselves? Well that's an entirely different story. I'm happy to help someone if they'll help me back. Otherwise, I'm not going to waste my time on time-burglars.
ALTRUISM is a facticious concept. If you disagree, you're probably lying to yourself.

That's not a very compassionate attitude. It's not like your taking the test for them.

My classmates get the notes for me all the time.

We're in this together. There is no reason to step on other's toes on the way to the top.

Our class probably wouldn't tolerate attitudes like yours.

Our goal is for everyone to pass. If you ever get into medical school, you'll need to learn to change your attitude.

Asherlauph said:

Wasn't there a barf smilie here anywhere? I was certain that there was one but it's possible that I saw in on another website.

Did you ever think that some people may not actually be able to attend all classes because they work, because they may need to support others? I skipped a lot of classes in college because I was working those hours and I got notes from friends or from someone I've never even spoken to before in my life. And I did the same for others without expecting a payback. I've never seen anyone make such a big deal out of this at my school. I'm glad you don't have anything else in your life to put this into perspective for you. I'm genuinly happy for you that you think this is a big problem.

You don't live in vacuum though. This reflects on the atmosphere in your class. Who wants to be in that kind of an environment?

Ayn Rand fan, by any chance?

ms1finally said:

I know, I was going to say--lay off of ms1finally and read the entire post. Sheesh, people on this board are so hasty.

Anyways, in response to queenalex--I think it's bad manners for someone to intentionally skip several weeks of classes and then ask for your notes a few days before the test, because it's so out of the blue...and if you need your notes, there's no guarantee that they'll copy them and return them in time. If they were a close friend that I trusted, I'd give it to them no questions asked. If I wasn't sure about them, I'd copy it for them and get a refund.

If you know you're going to skip several weeks of class, you should establish an understanding with someone that you can borrow their notes in the future, because you don't want to screw yourself over. My friends and I swap notes and practice exams all the time in a way that won't inconvenience each other.

I think people on this board are really quick to call other people gunners. A lot of people don't want to give out their notes because they feel like it's not fair, they had to sit through boring lectures and farting seatmates while the other person was nursing a hangover.

Chinorean said:
I know, I was going to say--lay off of ms1finally and read the entire post. Sheesh, people on this board are so hasty.

Anyways, in response to queenalex--I think it's bad manners for someone to intentionally skip several weeks of classes and then ask for your notes a few days before the test, because it's so out of the blue...and if you need your notes, there's no guarantee that they'll copy them and return them in time. If they were a close friend that I trusted, I'd give it to them no questions asked. If I wasn't sure about them, I'd copy it for them and get a refund.

If you know you're going to skip several weeks of class, you should establish an understanding with someone that you can borrow their notes in the future, because you don't want to screw yourself over. My friends and I swap notes and practice exams all the time in a way that won't inconvenience each other.

I think people on this board are really quick to call other people gunners. A lot of people don't want to give out their notes because they feel like it's not fair, they had to sit through boring lectures and farting seatmates while the other person was nursing a hangover.

It shouldn't matter that you worked hard and the other person didn't.

I'm one of the only people that makes up high-yield review sheets in my class.

I do all the work, but send it out to everyone.

It isn't going to affect my grade any way by helping out my classmates.

It's the type of people that try to keep to themselves and hope everyone else does poorly so they can be #1 that makes me sick.

If it's a friend of mine, sure they can have my notes. If it's Joe Blow, then no, probably not. I'd like to see my notebook again. :laugh:

OSUdoc08 said:
It shouldn't matter that you worked hard and the other person didn't.

I'm one of the only people that makes up high-yield review sheets in my class.

I do all the work, but send it out to everyone.

It isn't going to affect my grade any way by helping out my classmates.

It's the type of people that try to keep to themselves and hope everyone else does poorly so they can be #1 that makes me sick.

I wonder if in the story of the Little Red Hen, the other animals starved as they watched her eat her bread...or if they learned how to pick up a hoe and plant some wheat.

Most likely they got angry and had themselves a nice chicken dinner.

Apparition said:
Wasn't there a barf smilie here anywhere? I was certain that there was one but it's possible that I saw in on another website.

Did you ever think that some people may not actually be able to attend all classes because they work, because they may need to support others? I skipped a lot of classes in college because I was working those hours and I got notes from friends or from someone I've never even spoken to before in my life. And I did the same for others without expecting a payback. I've never seen anyone make such a big deal out of this at my school. I'm glad you don't have anything else in your life to put this into perspective for you. I'm genuinly happy for you that you think this is a big problem.

You don't live in vacuum though. This reflects on the atmosphere in your class. Who wants to be in that kind of an environment?

Ayn Rand fan, by any chance?

i'm an Ayn Rand fan, actually, and i totally support giving notes out to real friends if the friend asks from time to time. i would never be a sucker (note: there's a difference between compassion and just being a sucker that everyone takes advantage of) and just keep giving this person the notes if i knew for sure that they just didn't feel like going to class. every circumstance is different, and you need to evaluate it as such. if this person barely knows you and keeps asking to borrow notes, then they're not a friend. tell them to ask somebody else if you're growing tired of their lazy @ss. if it's a real buddy, and you feel that they're starting to take you for granted, then tell them. you owe it to your friendship to tell them how you feel.

and yeah, notetaking services exist in medical school, not undergrad.

only if its a hot girl ;)

Wow - I can't believe there are people that would consider NOT giving the notes up. This is your FRIEND you said?? What the heck does that word even mean to you?

I would give the notes to your friend, and then enjoy a nice lunch on him/her.

I hope there aren't non-note sharers where I end up, and for the record, if anybody wants to borrow my notes (which are pretty good if I do say so myself) you are free to do so - just don't forget the lunch deal if it is for 3 weeks worth!

First off, the whole sympathy thing is ******ed, sympathy would imply some sort of reason she isn't there to take her own notes. The girl's been blowing off class. If she was a 'friend', she wouldn't expect hers to do her work for her, and would thus be in class, and the whole situation could be avoided.

It's like having a roomate that doesn't do dishes. I don't care if I wash a plate or bowl or some silverware that isn't mine from time to time. But when they begin dumping their dishes in the sink while I'm doing some, THAT'S when its going to hit the fan. Its no different with notes. Hey, miss a class or two, no problem, it happens, I'll be more than willing to photocopy them for you myself (no matter what, they aren't leaving my possession; bad experiences in the past). But expect me to do it for you for an extended period because you've got other things to do? Ain't happening.

It has nothing to do with getting good grades, or being a 'good friend', or helping out with someone who wasn't there for a day. Its about people expecting something of you that they won't do themselves (notice I say WON'T, not can't).

And OSUdoc: you should start writing in haiku. You're almost there as it is, and at least that way we would know *some* thought went into your post, even if it's not evident by content.

jamesrd said:
First off, the whole sympathy thing is ******ed, sympathy would imply some sort of reason she isn't there to take her own notes. The girl's been blowing off class. If she was a 'friend', she wouldn't expect hers to do her work for her, and would thus be in class, and the whole situation could be avoided.

It's like having a roomate that doesn't do dishes. I don't care if I wash a plate or bowl or some silverware that isn't mine from time to time. But when they begin dumping their dishes in the sink while I'm doing some, THAT'S when its going to hit the fan. Its no different with notes. Hey, miss a class or two, no problem, it happens, I'll be more than willing to photocopy them for you myself (no matter what, they aren't leaving my possession; bad experiences in the past). But expect me to do it for you for an extended period because you've got other things to do? Ain't happening.

It has nothing to do with getting good grades, or being a 'good friend', or helping out with someone who wasn't there for a day. Its about people expecting something of you that they won't do themselves (notice I say WON'T, not can't).

And OSUdoc: you should start writing in haiku. You're almost there as it is, and at least that way we would know *some* thought went into your post, even if it's not evident by content.

The difference here is that the work has already been done..the notes are taken, and allowing your FRIEND to see them does not add any burden or workload for you. It certainly isn't my job to enforce attendance - and if my friend is able to learn the same amount of material through outside reading and my notes, then more power to him. I see no reason or advantage to withold the notes, and plenty of reasons to provide them.

jamesrd said:

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
excellent post, Jamesrd! i think we could be twins. :)

OSUdoc I completely agree with your sentiment (although she was the note borrower). You can't trust people like this b/c they wil do ANYTHING towards their own advancement.

Its not the student vs. the rest of the class. The point is to learn something! Shouldn't we want others to learn as well?

Yeah, what Jamesrd said. 'N Stuff.
jamesrd said:

Asherlauph said:
However, I do think that you could use this to your advantage. Tell the friend that you don't think it's fair that they blew off the class and then expect you to just give the notes up. So tell them they can earn the notes from you. Like by back rubs and foot massages and washing your car and stuff. There's obviously stuff you COULD'VE been doing had you not been in class earning your grade. Figure out what you think they're worth and then barter. (Money seems a bit Unethical)

Having the notes will not substitute for missing the class. Don't worry things will work out according to the amount of effort each person puts in. But there is no reason to be cruel.

make photocopies of the notes so that you wont get screwed for the test. I wouldn't even give it a second thought whether they deserved the help i was providing. I'm just a nice guy.

chicagomel said:
i'm an Ayn Rand fan, actually

Me too, especially Fountainhead, but I disagree with much of her philosophy.

jamesrd said:

it's freakin' notes that were already taken, not homework, not test answers, not research paper. jesus christ. you're not exerting any effort on behalf of the other person outside of using the muscle strength to hand them some stuff u already did.

thank god I'm not dealing w/ pre-meds anymore. *goes back to the pages and pages of notes in his inbox sent out to the entire class*

EDIT: perhaps i should be complaining more about gunners than pre-meds. sorry if i insulted anyone.