Sleep?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrMDsir

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
just wondering...about how many hours per night do you guys usually get?

also, how many hrs per night does the typical med school student get during the 1st, 2nd 3rd and 4th years?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't sleep, I wait.

Usually about 6-7 hours. Might nap during the day.

As a pre-med I get plenty of sleep (8-10 hours a night), and it's not really at all stressful. Once I learned to curb procrastination and learn a bit of time management, I get done with most my work mid-afternoon. I'm only one year down in pre-med, but I've taken multiple upper level science courses at once, and I think most the sleep deprivation comes from trying to avoid work. I probably get more sleep now than I ever did in high school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say 6 is about average for me. 4 on rough weeks 10 on weeks with nothing to do and 6 on most.

I get around 6 or 7 most week nights, but I could go to bed earlier if I felt like it. Anywhere from 9-12 on weekends.

just wondering...about how many hours per night do you guys usually get?

also, how many hrs per night does the typical med school student get during the 1st, 2nd 3rd and 4th years?

5-6 hrs. :yawn:

M3 in surgery rotation. 3-5 hours. Occasionally about 1 when on call then sleep for 6-7 hours when I get home.

qft

sleep shouldn't an issue until 3rd year. then it just depends on the rotation, how well you want to do, board studying, etc.