Sleeping aids recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lvp0021

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As life gets more and more hectic, more and more people are using OTC sleeping aids. A lot of people I know keep asking me which one would be good choice (including some who are teens--in private "progressive academy type" schools). I've done some research and some of the common ones like simply sleep (ingredients are anti-histamine) and melatonin all have the same precaution and side efffects. Melatonin is intrinsically produced by epithalamus (pineal gland); so, does that make it safer to take as your body itself synthesizes such same substance? What to recommend to teen vs. adult on these OTC sleeping aids (FDA still considers some of them "food" (supplement), so literature is quite limited) Any thoughts would be of great discussion... thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

I usually ask them a few prime questions before making recommendations such as health conditions or current RX. When I do decide to make recommendation, I usually go with Diphenhydramine rather than supplements, simply because the former is FDA approved. However, I always advise them on non-drug tx such as cutting down on caffeine and alcohol before sleeping, turning off lights and tv,etc. I also make it very clear to them that any type of sleep aids (RX or non-RX) should only be used for a short period of time, not on a daily basis. If their problem seems to be chronic, they need to get an evaluation for their physician.