Sleeping with a classmate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Worth it mix business and pleasure?

• YES!

Votes: 240 70.0%
  • Absolutely not!

Votes: 103 30.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

biologieguru87

lover not a fighter
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a single person, is sleeping with a classmate ok?
I have a perfect "situation" lined up right now, ball is in my court.
I mean its convenient, it gets you what you need, but then there's that whole business about being stuck in the same room with them from time to time for a couple of years.
Worth it -or not?

Members don't see this ad.

my class seems to have 2 types of people.... those already in long term relationships, and those not interested in that and willing to have a fling. seems like a good situation

In my opinion, relationships can be tricky but are fine.

Casual sexual relationships? Yikes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Absolutely. Be an adult about it and you'll be fine (this may be more difficult than advertised for some in your class...)

my experience has taught me that you just dont want to sleep with someone who doesn't have that much to keep them busy lol. another med student will be too busy with classes to worry about drama (whether drama is attempted is another issue..... but it simply wont be as bad as if you slept with a co-worker)

my experience has taught me that you just dont want to sleep with someone who doesn't have that much to keep them busy lol. another med student will be too busy with classes to worry about drama (whether drama is attempted is another issue..... but it simply wont be as bad as if you slept with a co-worker)

Spot on.

Even if there is temporary drama it will go away because med school takes over lives.

From experience I'd say it's def worth it.

I don't think it's that bad. Just be an adult about the whole thing.

Members don't see this ad :)
How is this mixing business with pleasure or any other such nonsense. It's not a coworker. It's like someone asking if they should get into a high school relationship or if they should have a one night stand in college.

how old are you?

if you were born in 87, you should have experience in this or you still haven't had sex. no offense

I'm a girl, I voted yes... If you accept the potential consequences, do it... otherwise, watch No Strings Attached, and Friends With Benefits, and make sure you know what COULD happen ;) and don't get her preggers...

how old are you?

if you were born in 87, you should have experience in this or you still haven't had sex. no offense

Yes, maybe you should get your parents involved with this decision? Or wait, at least double check with the girl right before you put it in, "Are you sure this is what you want" lol

Yes, maybe you should get your parents involved with this decision? Or wait, at least double check with the girl right before you put it in, "Are you sure this is what you want" lol

:laugh:

Is the awkwardness worth it? That's for you to decide. I could see deciding either way having some merit.

You need to do this and dont look back. Post pictures. :thumbup:

You need to do this and dont look back. Post pictures. :thumbup:
:thumbup::thumbup:

Maybe I am a bad person, but I wouldn't even think twice about this. If something seems to be working between you guys then go for it. I went to a smaller undergrad and lots of people knew who was smooshing who and people broke things off and were still able to take classes together.

and tell him/her that you created this thread and he/she should post a response.

I second don't crap where you eat, but YMMV.

If things go south post a funny thread about it.

Super bad idea. You don't think that seeing this person for the next two years is a bad thing right now, but if you do hook up and something goes wrong, the next couple years could be dicey. Chances are good that she'd end up telling a classmate she thinks she can trust, and then everyone knows everything. Not worth it.

its cute how you think it wouldnt already be pretty apparent to the rest of the class :p

its cute how you think it wouldnt already be pretty apparent to the rest of the class :p

LOL. Got me there. It's not hard to hide a relationship/potential FWB situation if you try, though. I think the "don't s--- where you eat" mantra is gospel truth. I don't think its worth it to be the talk of your class for a few nights of fun. Then again, I'm not a guy, and OP clearly is, haha.

harder than you might think... there are gossip hounds in every community and med school is a pretty small community.
ive also tried hiding such things in school and in the workplace. you'd be surprised what people know that you thought you were hiding so well

I banged several over the years and it never led to any problems.......for me :D

Do it!

I would prepare for these:

A. She's a psycho and will go all Swimfan on you

B. You suck in bed and she lets everyone know

That's very true about people knowing. I already know the people who are hooking up , and we're not even close. This particular person, however, has as much to lose as I do so I feel like the two of us would be able to keep it under wraps.

i dont know man, do you really want to mix business with pleasure? medschool is not like college, it's alot more professional.....esp when you hit third year so its more like a job. besides, medschool should be your neutral place where you learn and if you mix it up with personal stuff, it might distract you. plus all the gossip and ****...so fukin annoying

haha as some one already said, if you suck in bed then dont do it brah. lol you aint gettin' no mo' poon tang in med school again fo sho. But then again atleast you got some!! props!

Take that girl or guy to pound town and then make them waffles in the morning. It will all be ok.

has anyone else said yet it will be cool as long as you are clear with your intentions the whole time? if it is a hookup, make sure there arent any other expectations and then go have fun

Dude who effin cares. You won't be associating with these people that much during 3rd year and probably won't seem them too much post graduation.

I think it depends if you two have mutual friends or hang out with the same group of people. You don't want drama screwing up your support system.

That's very true about people knowing. I already know the people who are hooking up , and we're not even close. This particular person, however, has as much to lose as I do so I feel like the two of us would be able to keep it under wraps.

What exactly do you have to lose?

I'd say tread carefully. People are surprisingly nosy and even more surprisingly immature in medical school. The fact is that half your class probably already thinks you two are already going at it even if you haven't yet. There is absolutely zero way you will be able to keep it under wraps. I've only heard the horror stories on SDN, but here's the kicker:

Those that are likely to just want a casual bunk-mate on the side are probably not going to make a huge stink when you part ways, as they know what they want and are more mature.

Those that are only interested in relationships have much more to lose and a bigger pain in the ass to deal with when you break up, and you're more likely to get a bad rap spread throughout your class.

If you're going to hit and quit it, by all means.
I'd think twice though about getting serious with anyone. If things go south, drama gets annoying really quick (rumors, gossip spreads like you wouldn't believe amongst 100-200 people cooped up for hours on end/day.) and you really have enough to focus on as it is.

Have agreements prior. Stick to the agreements after.

Seinfeld proved this does not work.

They also proved that a rubber ball filled with oil and drops from an office building window would pop on a women's head instead of seriously injuring her. LA-LA-LA I'M COVERED IN OILLL

Also that a junior mint can stave off post surgical infection

What happens if you sleep with a girl far away from your school and circle? Like not even law, pharm, dent, nursing, PA, or even pre-prof but sleeping with a pre-trophywife girl with easy majors wanting to marry a doctor? Is this clean and safe without backfire??