Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm wondering how much this is gonna kill me or if I should address it anywhere vs. not draw attention to it at all. My cGPA is 3.7 and sGPA is 3.65.
for some reason, AMCAS grouped together my hours into fresh/soph/jr/sr really strangely. It lists my freshman hours as ~32 total, soph as ~42 total, jr as ~24, and sr as 11. The senior and junior GPAs sort of caught snapshots of smaller groups made up of harder classes that I ended up more Bs in with less As to drag them up. So it sort of looks like fresh-3.85, soph-3.75, junior-3.56, sr-3.38 🙁 I've never gotten less than a B and if you look at my actual transcript this trend is obviously not as bad as AMCAS presents due to the lopsided grouping of credit hours.
Basically the reason there is a downward trend at all is because as time went on throughout undergrad, I developed an interest in research and desired to take classes that would help me be a better researcher/actually understand journal articles. As a bio major, this meant opting out of biostats, calc for bio majors, algebra based physics in favor of more difficult courses i.e. engineering stats, engineering/math major calc, and engineering physics. I don't regret what I did, as the material I learned is far more enriching than it would have been otherwise and will ultimately help me in the future as a scientist. These classes really tested my study skills/time management and made me into a much stronger student. unfortunately I did not make it out totally unscathed and accumulated more Bs than I would've liked. I also added on a minor in mathematics towards the end of soph. year as I hope to eventually conduct research in applied mathematics. I am applying md/phd. I'm afraid this will destroy my chances. I have strong ECs/research and am expecting MCAT >36. Opinions/advice? Thank you in advance
for some reason, AMCAS grouped together my hours into fresh/soph/jr/sr really strangely. It lists my freshman hours as ~32 total, soph as ~42 total, jr as ~24, and sr as 11. The senior and junior GPAs sort of caught snapshots of smaller groups made up of harder classes that I ended up more Bs in with less As to drag them up. So it sort of looks like fresh-3.85, soph-3.75, junior-3.56, sr-3.38 🙁 I've never gotten less than a B and if you look at my actual transcript this trend is obviously not as bad as AMCAS presents due to the lopsided grouping of credit hours.
Basically the reason there is a downward trend at all is because as time went on throughout undergrad, I developed an interest in research and desired to take classes that would help me be a better researcher/actually understand journal articles. As a bio major, this meant opting out of biostats, calc for bio majors, algebra based physics in favor of more difficult courses i.e. engineering stats, engineering/math major calc, and engineering physics. I don't regret what I did, as the material I learned is far more enriching than it would have been otherwise and will ultimately help me in the future as a scientist. These classes really tested my study skills/time management and made me into a much stronger student. unfortunately I did not make it out totally unscathed and accumulated more Bs than I would've liked. I also added on a minor in mathematics towards the end of soph. year as I hope to eventually conduct research in applied mathematics. I am applying md/phd. I'm afraid this will destroy my chances. I have strong ECs/research and am expecting MCAT >36. Opinions/advice? Thank you in advance