that70sfan11

Oklahoma State c/o 2014!!
10+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2009
Oklahoma
Status
Veterinary Student
not to be an annoying activist, but this is something I care about.

Earth Hour (sponsored by the World Wildlife Fund) is tomorrow, Saturday March 27 at 8:30 p.m.

All you have to do is turn your lights off for one hour! :idea: The point is to unite everybody across the world for one cause, and that's to protect our planet for not only ourselves but all the other wonderful species we share it with (and that we all will be taking care of!)

So if you can, turn off the lights, bond with your family or friends (without TV!), or just sit outside and enjoy nature! I promise it will be worth it!

https://www.myearthhour.org/about

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FclcMfzjwug

^an awesome video. it shows everything from the Eiffel tower to the sphinx going dark!

(BTW I don't think this would happen, but just in case...if you disagree with this event or don't believe in climate change or something, this isn't supposed to be a thread to debate it. I'm just trying to do my part to get awareness out :D)

Thanks SDNers!!

that70sfan11

10+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2009
Oklahoma
Status
Veterinary Student
I used to think it changed with time zones, but no, it's 8:30 p.m. for everyone. sorry for not making that clear everybody!

I guess the point is so that way the earth is dark for a whole day

that70sfan11

10+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2009
Oklahoma
Status
Veterinary Student

sorry gonna keep being an annoying bumper till tomorrow night. don't hate me please!

Quigly

7+ Year Member
Feb 8, 2010
Status
Veterinarian
Not wanting to be a total buzz kill, but if it is a World Wildlife Fund event, I think I might turn on an extra light or three. Possibly open the freezer door and run some hot water too.

zeebra44

Frito feet!
10+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2008
Status
Veterinary Student
Not wanting to be a total buzz kill, but if it is a World Wildlife Fund event, I think I might turn on an extra light or three. Possibly open the freezer door and run some hot water too.
What? Why?

that70sfan11

10+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2009
Oklahoma
Status
Veterinary Student
like I said, I really didn't want to start a debate.

but I don't know why you don't like them, but as far as I know their priorities are keeping around animals and animal habitats for as long as possible. if you don't believe in that, then I don't know why you really want to be a vet, unless the only animals you care about are cats and dogs and livestock.

and sorry if I sound grumpy, but people who purposely waste electricity/water or who purposely don't recycle really annoy me. it doesn't matter who is sponsoring this event... that's just dumb not to believe in conservation of our resources.

anyway, sorry to be rude but this something I believe in... I really want my children to be able to see rhinos and tigers and coral, but with the way we are heading, they probably won't be able to.

okay, debate over.. thank you everyone for participating if you did!

Nov 14, 2009
Southern California
Status
Pre-Veterinary
Just participated :D We had all our lights off except for one and we played a board game with the family, haha. It was nice!

I'd imagine that no matter who's sponsoring the event it's a good idea. I can't imagine that turning off your lights would directly benefit the WWF?

Quigly

7+ Year Member
Feb 8, 2010
Status
Veterinarian
I didn't actually do any of that, but I am strongly opposed to some of WWF's work. They have the cute panda picture and talk about animals being free and happy to give everyone the warm fuzzies, but their tactics can be a fair bit less enticing once you start to look into them. They are strong supporters of the Global Warming treaties worked out at Copenhagen which I am not exactly fond of. However it is you look at global warming, those treaties give way too much power and money to the government. I also disagree with the way they use deception and lies to try to persuade people when they face facts regarding Global Warming that may not be persuasive enough for them.

Just because a group seems to support animals doesn't mean I support the group. There are many groups running under the guise of caring for animals that I would not support, such as PETA and the ALF. I am largely in favor of conservation. My family farms and we spend a great deal of time and resources on conservation projects on our farm. I think it is something that is very important, but I do not think it is something the government should be coming out saying, you have to do this and this and that because some scientist in this activist group thinks it might save a colony of rare ants. It sounds crazy, but is closer to what really happens in some places than people think. I posted one link below regarding a WWF paper.

http://findarticles.com/p/news-articles/mail-on-sunday-london-england-the/mi_8003/is_2010_Jan_24/glacier-scientist-knew-data-hadnt/ai_n48718998/