ADentalHopeful

10+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
ok so as Ive been shadowing I have been picking up lil tips, and one that kind of got stuck in my head that i dno if would actually work.. but my dentist talked to addmission people after they let him into the states (we're canadian) ...
If you were a hygienist and say got super high on the DAT, so like just lots of experience and a high score, then any American school would basically take you? Like u still have to take all the prereqs and all, but thats what im understanding. that when it comes down to it that the states just wants you to have a lot a lot a lot of experience beforehand and demonstrate committment to the dentistry profession.. hmmm. Could acceptance be that simple??

..and then quickly transfer back to Canada mwhaha

ummjoey

10+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2007
Status
Pre-Dental
i think most schools like to see that you have dental experience.

i dont think a lot of dental experience can make up for a low gpa or low dat.

bounty101

10+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2008
Status
Non-Student
If you have a lot of experience, super high DAT scores, and prereqs done (assuming those grades are around 3.5 or so and you have 90 units complete), than yes you stand a very good chance to get in. What else would there be?

OP
A

ADentalHopeful

10+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
yeah exactly, say u arent a 90+ average student, does the states downplay your GPA and value your experience and DAT over what you actually did in undergrad.
least thats wut im hearing. hmm
well im basically asking if experience is more important than a 4.0 + :D

bounty101

10+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2008
Status
Non-Student
yeah exactly, say u arent a 90+ average student, does the states downplay your GPA and value your experience and DAT over what you actually did in undergrad.
least thats wut im hearing. hmm
The ADEA publishes GPA and DAT averages for each school. Go to predents.com if you don't have the book, it's listed there. Some have high GPA averages and some don't. You don't have to rely on what your hearing, go to the source.

MB111

10+ Year Member
Feb 3, 2008
predents.com
Status
Pre-Dental
i find that there's A LOT more ppl on the forum (including those who read and never post anything) than participating in predents though.

bounty101

10+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2008
Status
Non-Student
i find that there's A LOT more ppl on the forum (including those who read and never post anything) than participating in predents though.
I don't mean the user contributed data to predents, I mean the stats the website itself publishes (taken from the ADEA Guide to Dental Schools). It's at the top of each school page, next to the school's trademark. It's the best data b/c it covers every accepted individual, not just the one's on the internet. And it's 100% factual, no exagerations or outright lying.

MB111

10+ Year Member
Feb 3, 2008
predents.com
Status
Pre-Dental
I don't mean the user contributed data to predents, I mean the stats the website itself publishes (taken from the ADEA Guide to Dental Schools). It's at the top of each school page, next to the school's trademark. It's the best data b/c it covers every accepted individual, not just the one's on the internet. And it's 100% factual, no exagerations or outright lying.
oh right. those numbers. since the stupid study saying RC is correlated with board scores came out, ppl here say RC's pretty important (with a lot of schools anyways). ADEA should really release the avg RC scores to help applicants like meee choose which schools to apply to next time. sigh~