SLU Official Class of 2010 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pewl

The Dude Abides
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, might as well start it now. I'm leaning towards SLU at the moment.

WHO'S WITH ME?! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Seeing how it's my only acceptance at the moment, I'm there!!!!!

I'm leaning... leaning.. but still want to go for a look.

We're gonna have a great time

Members don't see this ad :)
firebird69guy said:
I'm leaning... leaning.. but still want to go for a look.

We're gonna have a great time

You wouldn't happen to be a Sacramento Kings fan would you? GO PACERS =D

I am going to go visit this spring and, as of now, I am planning on attending.

Pewl said:
You wouldn't happen to be a Sacramento Kings fan would you? GO PACERS =D

HELLLLLZZZZZZZZZZZ no!!!!! Laker fan here.. Oh, and I have tix to the Lakers vs. Kings TNT game on Jan 19th!! WOHOOO! Gonna see the Kobe show! I bet he nets 50

Yeah, let's all plan an SDN/Californian-acceptee "field trip" to SLU in the spring! It's way too cold to be visitng right now :D . God I love our CA weather, it was high 70's today. To be honest I probably won't choose SLU, but I could still be persuaded by a...very generous financial aid package. ;) Since it's one of two acceptances I have right now anything's possible.

Btw I wonder when financial aid packages are made available for us.

I have no interest in sports, so I'll lay off that current discussion about pacers, kings, lakers, and whatever. However, I what I will comment on is: I know I've said it before, firebird69guy, but that is one smokin' hot picture of Keira Knightly. You have excellent taste. Now that I appreciate. Can't get enough of your avatar. :p

Messerschmitts said:
Yeah, let's all plan an SDN/Californian-acceptee "field trip" to SLU in the spring! It's way too cold to be visitng right now :D . God I love our CA weather, it was high 70's today. To be honest I probably won't choose SLU, but I could still be persuaded by a...very generous financial aid package. ;) Since it's one of two acceptances I have right now anything's possible.

Btw I wonder when financial aid packages are made available for us.

That would be fun.. yeah this is my one acceptance so far. My interviewer at Drexel basically said I was in and not to worry about anything, so I am countin on that one... I have a Loma Linda interview on the 25th of January, so we'll see.. Other than that, who knows? I was waitlisted at Cleveland Clinic and Penn State and haven't heard yet from NYMC.

About the weather, I doubt it is as cold as cleveland, philly and NY! Just humid in the summer .. which would be weird.

I actually grew up in Indiana. The midwest does get humid in the summer. St. Louis doesn't as much snow as some of the other midwest states but they get that annoying freezing rain and sleet. I interviewed at SLU so I've seen the campus already. There are a ton of clinical opportunities there.

Messerschmitts: Is the reason you're picking Cincinnati over SLU because of the rankings?

Pewl said:
Messerschmitts: Is the reason you're picking Cincinnati over SLU because of the rankings?

I told you last time on another thread: yes, and the in-state tuition after establishing Ohio state residency after the first year. I'm not going to pay $60,000 more over the 4 years to go to a less prestigious school. Now if say Case Western were to accept me (not bloody likely, but I did interview there), I'd actually be willing to shell out the extra money. But like I said, I still intend to at least visit SLU, and wait for their financial aid offer before making a final decision.

That said, if I get off the UCSD (yeah right) or OSU (possible) deferred/waitlist one of these days, I am immediately withdrawing from both UCinn and SLU.

Messerschmitts said:
.....I have no interest in sports, so I'll lay off that current discussion about pacers, kings, lakers, and whatever. However, I what I will comment on is: I know I've said it before, firebird69guy, but that is one smokin' hot picture of Keira Knightly. You have excellent taste. Now that I appreciate. Can't get enough of your avatar.... :p

oh yeah... she's blazin! Can't WAIT for pirates of the caribbean 2 this summer

I'll see any movie with her in it

Hey all, just wanted to say HI. Do you guys know if slu has a second look day (or whatever it's supposed to be called)? I had a regional interview and I really want to check out the school. Right now the only info i have about the school is the tiny brochure i got on interview day, the website and SDN. Do I even need a second look day to visit the school and get a good feel for it? what do you guys think? Thanks.

MDCali said:
Hey all, just wanted to say HI. Do you guys know if slu has a second look day (or whatever it's supposed to be called)? I had a regional interview and I really want to check out the school. Right now the only info i have about the school is the tiny brochure i got on interview day, the website and SDN. Do I even need a second look day to visit the school and get a good feel for it? what do you guys think? Thanks.

I think the general idea is that once you get accepted you should definitely take a look before you decide to spend the next 4 years there. I also had a regional interview, and will be flying out to committ to some housing while I check out the school. Of course, if this is your only acceptance, there's probably not much need for a "second look". I am not sure if SLU even has a "second look" day. It's just an independent sort of thing..

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I'm not sure if there's an official "second-look day" so you may need to do it on your own. The campus seems all right. Their clinical facilities are pretty good.

CURRENT SLU MS1 HERE!

congrats on your acceptances!!

if you guys have any questions and stuff... let me know. you can pm or post on here... ill check whenever i can.

a few questions about the living situation;

how bad is the area around the med school? would you say not many people live there? What about the area next to the undergrad campus?

thanks!

pakidoc said:
CURRENT SLU MS1 HERE!

congrats on your acceptances!!

if you guys have any questions and stuff... let me know. you can pm or post on here... ill check whenever i can.

Hey all,

First time user of SDN. Thought I would say hello to my (potential) future classmates. Question for those who have interviewed at EVMS: having an acceptant at SLU, would you still consider interviewing at EVMS in mid-March??

Thanks..

Superman Return said:
Hey all,

First time user of SDN. Thought I would say hello to my (potential) future classmates. Question for those who have interviewed at EVMS: having an acceptant at SLU, would you still consider interviewing at EVMS in mid-March??

Thanks..

Hi I have been accepted to SLU and have been waitlisted at EVMS. The students at EVMS are really enthusiastic about their school and the faculty seems to be quite involved. The children's hospital is amazing! The interview day is informative, they give you a good tour of the school and a neat standardized patient presentation. When I went all the hallways were decorated for halloween because they were having a haunted house in the medical school for kids who live in bad neighborhoods (keeps them off of dangerous streets at night). So that just kinda shows how involved everyone is with the local community. I honestly did not like the location. Norfolk seemed very dangerous to me. I would turn on the tv in my hotel room and the first thing i would hear is "oh well two Norfolk officers have been shot today." Virginia beach is nice though and only about 25 minutes away! I have never been to Saint Louis or the midwest (I had a regional interview) so I can't really tell you how it compares to EVMS. Perhaps you'd like to share your interview experience at SLU?

I'm originally from the Midwest, so I'm quite accustomed to it. I thought the interview went great, even though the interview day itself was not organized very well.

Hey MDCali,

Sorry for the tardy reply - major computer problems. I had a fair experience at SLU: I liked the campus feel, the city of St. Louis, the downtown area is quite nice, and the facilities seem great as well. I could not spend too much time in the city because I had to fly out immediately after my interview (post tours, talks, etc.) In all fairness, I cannot remember too much because this was my first interview; I did, however, have an overall good experience. Nothing fantastic, nothing terrible. I think I need to visit the city again before I say anything too definitive.

The are two things that I feel a bit uneasy about. One, there is no official student housing around the campus (or at least I don't think so) which is something I really like about a school. Two, there is a really bad area in St. Louis (probably where Nelly is from) with heaps of crime. I don't think the campus is too near, but the thought itself is unsettling.

I hope this helps somewhat. Hopefully, I will see you in August!

I like how SLU is a full university, at least, with undergrad and stuff.

hey all...I have a few acceptances and am trying to make a decision...and I am pretty sure it is going to be SLU. The only thing is that SLU will end up costing me a LOT more than my state school. Now that med school is fast approaching, the reality of finances has set in. Am I crazy for putting myself into way deeper debt than I need to if SLU is more appealing for reasons other than financial??

surferrosa said:
hey all...I have a few acceptances and am trying to make a decision...and I am pretty sure it is going to be SLU. The only thing is that SLU will end up costing me a LOT more than my state school. Now that med school is fast approaching, the reality of finances has set in. Am I crazy for putting myself into way deeper debt than I need to if SLU is more appealing for reasons other than financial??

It depends entirely on the school. I'd just pick the place with the environment that you enjoy the most. You'll be able to pay off the debt sooner or later regardless because you'll be working as a doctor!

thanks for the advice...I definitely found SLU to be more inviting than my state school and I think that it is a better fit for me. I am also really excited to move to a new location; I have been in the same place my entire life. It kind of scares me though too.....I dont know anyone in St. Louis and know little about the city...

surferrosa said:
It kind of scares me though too.....I dont know anyone in St. Louis and know little about the city...

Well, wouldn't be a learning experience or adventure otherwise! :D

Messerschmitts said:
Well, wouldn't be a learning experience or adventure otherwise! :D

you're right!! and even though its a big change for me, I am SO EXCITED!! :D :D :D

surferrosa said:

thats insane...unless ur heart is absolutely set on SLU and you cant imagine youself happier anywhere else, GO TO your state school

Vizsla said:
thats insane...unless ur heart is absolutely set on SLU and you cant imagine youself happier anywhere else, GO TO your state school

do you say that because of the money issue??

i'll admit that my state school is more practical...and that is what is making this decision so hard. other factors are weighing in though that contradict practicality, and making me lean toward SLU.

surferrosa said:
i'll admit that my state school is more practical...and that is what is making this decision so hard. other factors are weighing in though that contradict practicality, and making me lean toward SLU.

What exactly is it about SLU that you love so much?

Dammit! why is there like only like two who got into Rad Onc?!

Mark my words, I will come back back to CA for Rad Onc. =P

I'm pretty much decided on SLU! I'm going to St Louis April 20-22 to look into buying a house.. yep, no more renting for me.. Anyone else going for a second look? I'm also interested in meeting current students for any info.. my wife and I will be coming. PM me or post here if you want to meet for drinks.

firebird69guy said:
I'm pretty much decided on SLU! I'm going to St Louis April 20-22 to look into buying a house.. yep, no more renting for me.. Anyone else going for a second look? I'm also interested in meeting current students for any info.. my wife and I will be coming. PM me or post here if you want to meet for drinks.

Is there an official second look weekend?
PS, nice to know there will be other married students in the entering class. Anyone with kids?

Leaning toward SLU right now and want to be convinced one way or another. Can someone give me the positives and negatives of this school? In your experience, did the students seem exited? I feel like I didnt get much of a feel for the school when I was there. Is their match list good? I don't know how to tell

firebird69guy said:

If you have kids that will be in school while you are out here, I would strongly recommend buying/living in the county. The city schools are horrible, and not CA horrible. They are HORRIBLE. Most of the families live in the county (south or west; and most of the families who own homes live in south co as it is more affordable than west co). My wife is from Sac, I hated it there.

does anyone know how the area is around the undergrad campus? i was thinking of getting a place on lindell blvd right north of the UG campus and was wondering if it was a good area to live. cheers!

LINEski said:
Leaning toward SLU right now and want to be convinced one way or another. Can someone give me the positives and negatives of this school? In your experience, did the students seem exited? I feel like I didnt get much of a feel for the school when I was there. Is their match list good? I don't know how to tell

I am most likely going to end up at SLU, which is perfectly satisfying for me because the only school out of the 10 interviews I got that I would pick over it is UCI...because I live very close to there and it's super cheap...but I'm only on the waitlist at uci so I'm guessing it won't happen. But I stayed in st. louis for about 3 days as an extended layover to the east coast for a different interview and I stayed with a good college friend's good high school friend who is a first year there. All I can say is she and her roommates were awesome people and everyone they introduced me to seemed so welcoming and ecstatic to be where they are....so hopefully that's somewhat insightful. I liked what I saw of the school, and I sat in on a lecture and also a problem-based learning session with her, and it was really interesting. She said she really likes the organ-based curriculum and the teachers are extremely helpful and always looking for feedback. They also said the class itself is great as far as spending time together outside of class even though there isn't campus housing and everyone commutes, and there's plenty to find as far as outings go...And she said the match list has been pretty good in recent years at least. :)

Tuck'N'Roll said:
I am most likely going to end up at SLU, which is perfectly satisfying for me because the only school out of the 10 interviews I got that I would pick over it is UCI...because I live very close to there and it's super cheap...but I'm only on the waitlist at uci so I'm guessing it won't happen. But I stayed in st. louis for about 3 days as an extended layover to the east coast for a different interview and I stayed with a good college friend's good high school friend who is a first year there. All I can say is she and her roommates were awesome people and everyone they introduced me to seemed so welcoming and ecstatic to be where they are....so hopefully that's somewhat insightful. I liked what I saw of the school, and I sat in on a lecture and also a problem-based learning session with her, and it was really interesting. She said she really likes the organ-based curriculum and the teachers are extremely helpful and always looking for feedback. They also said the class itself is great as far as spending time together outside of class even though there isn't campus housing and everyone commutes, and there's plenty to find as far as outings go...And she said the match list has been pretty good in recent years at least. :)

Thanks Tuck'N'Roll, SLU is winning the race for me right now and I will probably see you there in August. Where do the students you stayed with live? I'll be working on the housing situation soon.

LINEski said:
Thanks Tuck'N'Roll, SLU is winning the race for me right now and I will probably see you there in August. Where do the students you stayed with live? I'll be working on the housing situation soon.

I'm working on it as well.

LINEski said:

They lived on a place referred to as "The Hill," which they found amusing because there are apparently no hills in sight!!! hahaha....anyway, it's a great little community, very "italian" themed, even the fire hydrants are painted with italian colors! And we went to t;his really great italian restaurant the last night i was there, which I'd DEFINITELY go to again! And also, they have this stuff called frozen custard or something which was really good, sorta like Cold Stone's ice cream if you've ever tried that. If you want any more info, just let me know! Hope to meet you randomly at some slu event! Have a good one! =)

Ah, the Cold Stone Creamery. The overpriced ice cream store in LA =P

Pewl said:
Ah, the Cold Stone Creamery. The overpriced ice cream store in LA =P

and equally overpriced in Orange County :rolleyes:

You're probably referring to Ted Drewe's Frozen Custard. It's all the craze out here. Been here for almost 3 years and still haven't tried it. Ted Drewes is the it custard place but there are other chains like it. They have a COld Stone Creamy here too, but all the locals are crazy about the custard.

I have my interview at SLU next week. I know its really late, but its the only date I could make. Does anyone have any specific advise for me or examples of types of questions. What was everyones response to the question of why you want at go to SLU. I figure that at this late in the game my best chance is to get on the waiting list but you never know. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated thanks.

sactown said:
I have my interview at SLU next week. I know its really late, but its the only date I could make. Does anyone have any specific advise for me or examples of types of questions. What was everyones response to the question of why you want at go to SLU. I figure that at this late in the game my best chance is to get on the waiting list but you never know. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated thanks.

SLU has great clinical training. You could mention that. The interview itself was pretty relaxed. I had Dr. Drake.

I was accepted at SLU about 2 months ago and am waiting to hear from a few other schools, but planning on attending in St Louis. I also have heard from a few people, subsequent to acceptance, that students at SLU tend to be more stressed out than typical. I wanted to see if I could get an insider's perspective. I realize that med school is difficult and the workload substantial; I have no misconceptions about that. However, I would like to get an overall feel for the student body and the prevalent attitudes and dispositions. Can anyone describe what their experience has been?

so it looks like i'm going to SLU (unless i get one of those waitlist miracles)...where are all my classmates?? :)

has anyone received an official financial aid package yet? or any other incoming student information (medical forms, housing/roommate info)? i'm excited but i also kinda feel in the dark...

HC05nmd said:
so it looks like i'm going to SLU (unless i get one of those waitlist miracles)...where are all my classmates?? :)

has anyone received an official financial aid package yet? or any other incoming student information (medical forms, housing/roommate info)? i'm excited but i also kinda feel in the dark...

I did get an email saying that they were gonna send out financial aid offers within the next few days. That was sent last week. =P