SLU vs Case vs UW-Madison

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SymphonyNo9

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I'm fortunate enough to get accepted by some schools. However, I'm having a hard time figuring out where to go. I have narrowed down to 3 schools and hope someone could give me some insights. My concern is support system/SO vs ranking, opportunities, or COA.

SLU
Pros:
- Location. Support system/significant other (no other family members in the US). No need to move
- Traditional curriculum, which I prefer
- P/F
- Student wellness and happiness are emphasized
Cons:
- Cost. COA ~$75,000. But I can save from traveling and living alone
- Lower ranking
- Research. Fewer opportunities?

CWRU
Pros:
- Research
- Affiliation with Cleveland Clinic and other hospitals
- P/F
- Ranking and prestige
Cons:
- Cost. COA ~$85,000. Applying merit-based scholarship
- PBL curriculum
- Location and weather

UW-Madison
Pros:
- Ranking and prestige
- Cost. COA ~$63,000
- P/F
- Research
Cons:
- PBL curriculum (new)
- Location and weather (like the city but not the distance from St. Louis)

If these matter:
For now, I'd like to go into one of the IM's competitive subspecialties. I love research and seeing patients equally.
We want to live/work outside of Midwest eventually.

Thank you in advance :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Let it be noted that Wisco's grading is not P/F, I don't remember exactly but there is some class ranking going on

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

From their website for the new curriculum: "a student’s transcript will report only satisfactory-unsatisfactory (analogous to pass-fail) for all courses in Phase 1 and 2, as well as Acting Internships, Electives and the Internship Prep Course."
I'm not sure about the class ranking though, but I thought that statement means P/F.

From their website for the new curriculum: "a student’s transcript will report only satisfactory-unsatisfactory (analogous to pass-fail) for all courses in Phase 1 and 2, as well as Acting Internships, Electives and the Internship Prep Course."
I'm not sure about the class ranking though, but I thought that statement means P/F.

Hmm that's interesting. That was a big point I was hung up on during interview day, but maybe they have changed it since November. I remember asking a question about the new curriculum and how it would be graded and they said it would not be P/F. I think it may be a good idea to call their office and check just to make sure. If they did make it P/F, good for them as it feel like that is the way to go now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also FWIW, I have a friend that goes to SLU and he said their really is not much research that students can be a part of, so I would keep that in mind if that is a big deal for you. Good luck with your decision!

Reactions: 1 user
Hmm that's interesting. That was a big point I was hung up on during interview day, but maybe they have changed it since November. I remember asking a question about the new curriculum and how it would be graded and they said it would not be P/F. I think it may be a good idea to call their office and check just to make sure. If they did make it P/F, good for them as it feel like that is the way to go now.

Right, it would be a good idea to confirm with them.

Also FWIW, I have a friend that goes to SLU and he said their really is not much research that students can be a part of, so I would keep that in mind if that is a big deal for you. Good luck with your decision!

That's what I've heard too. And that's why I have a hard time deciding.
It's basically "staying with my SO (soon will be fiancee) who have a decent job" v.s. "COA, research opportunities, & maybe school ranking"

I attend Case - happy to answer any questions. I will say though, that you shouldn't get hung up on PBL. Most schools do some form of it (it's the future of learning I guess) -- I'm a traditional learner myself, and to be honest it really doesn't impact you negatively. Case also has a ton of free time (most days done before 12, less if you don't go to lecture). Some of us are super busy, but that's our own doing, not Case's. It's a pretty chill curriculum. Lots of research opportunities for sure. Let me know if I can help out in any other way. FWIW, I chose Case over Dartmouth.

I attend Case - happy to answer any questions. I will say though, that you shouldn't get hung up on PBL. Most schools do some form of it (it's the future of learning I guess) -- I'm a traditional learner myself, and to be honest it really doesn't impact you negatively. Case also has a ton of free time (most days done before 12, less if you don't go to lecture). Some of us are super busy, but that's our own doing, not Case's. It's a pretty chill curriculum. Lots of research opportunities for sure. Let me know if I can help out in any other way. FWIW, I chose Case over Dartmouth.
Thank you for your input!
Do you possibly know if Case is generous with need-based scholarship? I'm getting ready to submit some supplemental documents for financial aid.

Thank you for your input!
Do you possibly know if Case is generous with need-based scholarship? I'm getting ready to submit some supplemental documents for financial aid.

My understanding is that they are not. But to be honest I'm not the right person to ask as I'm international and not eligible

Go to UW Madison. When I interviewed at SLU and talked to upperclassmen, they really emphasized the small amount of research opportunities. Since you wanna do a competitive IM specialty, research is gonna me more important for you. I would choose UW Madison. It has great rep, more research, and is cheaper. Also, since you said you wanna live outside the midwest, check out Case's and Madison's match lists and see how many people are matching outside the midwest.

Go to UW Madison. When I interviewed at SLU and talked to upperclassmen, they really emphasized the small amount of research opportunities. Since you wanna do a competitive IM specialty, research is gonna me more important for you. I would choose UW Madison. It has great rep, more research, and is cheaper. Also, since you said you wanna live outside the midwest, check out Case's and Madison's match lists and see how many people are matching outside the midwest.
Thank you for your reply. I realize that research will be important for matching my potential specialty. Between UW Madison and Case, I'm leaning more toward UW because the reasons you said. But SLU is attractive because of my SO, and we might get married soon. So the location and the support I would have are what I'm thinking.
I'll certainly look into the match lists of these school. Thanks again!

Hi all! I'm fortunate enough to get accepted by some schools. However, I'm having a hard time figuring out where to go. I have narrowed down to 3 schools and hope someone could give me some insights. My concern is support system/SO vs ranking, opportunities, or COA.

SLU
Pros:
- Location. Support system/significant other (no other family members in the US). No need to move
- Traditional curriculum, which I prefer
- P/F
- Student wellness and happiness are emphasized
Cons:
- Cost. COA ~$75,000. But I can save from traveling and living alone
- Lower ranking
- Research. Fewer opportunities?

CWRU
Pros:
- Research
- Affiliation with Cleveland Clinic and other hospitals
- P/F
- Ranking and prestige
Cons:
- Cost. COA ~$85,000. Applying merit-based scholarship
- PBL curriculum
- Location and weather

UW-Madison
Pros:
- Ranking and prestige
- Cost. COA ~$63,000
- P/F
- Research
Cons:
- PBL curriculum (new)
- Location and weather (like the city but not the distance from St. Louis)

If these matter:
For now, I'd like to go into one of the IM's competitive subspecialties. I love research and seeing patients equally.
We want to live/work outside of Midwest eventually.

Thank you in advance :)
U WI

Thank you all for replying!

Heads up, SLU just got slapped with probation from LCME. That probably makes your choice easier.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

The probation is a huge problem...... and I'm with a lot of people who are worried about that.
So basically you're saying that the probation issue is a red flag for SLU, and it will outweigh my wish for staying with my SO?

Any specific reason you recommend Wisconsin?

Thank you all for replying!

The probation is a huge problem...... and I'm with a lot of people who are worried about that.
So basically you're saying that the probation issue is a red flag for SLU, and it will outweigh my wish for staying with my SO?

Any specific reason you recommend Wisconsin?
It's the best and cheapest option. Plus, Madison is one of the top "college towns" in America with tons of things to do :)