SLU vs Loyola

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

itscleanslateme

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
SLU 66k/yr
Pros
  • P/F
  • good fit
    I really enjoyed meeting other interviewees on the interview day. It was the only school where I thought 'wow I wish I had these guys as my future classmates'. But I am well aware that only a handful of students who interviewed will matriculate. At the same time, I wonder maybe it's a good indicator of what kind of students they are looking for
  • good impression on interview day
  • over four years about 76k cheaper (264k loan)
  • forest park
    I am really into outdoors, it would be nice to be close to a big park
  • In past four years, at least couple graduates consistently matched to CA emergency medicine residency (#lifegoal) but this year no one matched to CA EM residency program


Cons
  • PROBATION
    I am not sure how concerned I should be. Doctors I know seem to say it's a huge concern to residency directors but general consensus on SDN seems like it's not a big deal?
  • lack of global health program
  • lecture-heavy and outdated curriculum (which issues were also reiterated in the probation)
  • lack of research opportunities
  • gym is at the undergrad campus which is pretty distanced from the med campus
  • large class size 181
  • landlocked


LOYOLA 82k/yr
Pros
  • great global health honors program
  • research honors program
  • great reputation
  • great facility; i love their huge windows at the library
  • gym attached to medical education building
  • Lake Michigan for when I really miss the ocean
  • smaller class size 144

Cons
  • H/HP/P/F
  • non-trad heavy student population
    According to MSAR, 56% of matriculants are 24-39 (compared to 25% at SLU). It was also obvious at the second look day. More than half of new and current students I met were significantly older and married. I miss college a lot and I am really looking forward to medical school. I know medical school will be drastically different but I am not sure if this is the kind of student environment I am looking for
  • fit & gut feeling
    The repeating theme at second look day was "pick a school that you feel comfortable at". I didn't feel entirely comfortable at neither interview day nor second look day
  • On interview day, a current student told me, for a lot of Stritch students, Stritch was their only option but they are proud of that. Personally, I found this comment really off-putting
  • 76k more expensive, over 4 years 328k loan
  • Maywood, IL is cold AF

Summary: I had a good impression at SLU but it also has some really concerning cons. Loyola has amazing pros, but it just didn't feel right... but i also feel like maybe its amazing pros outweight its cons
 
Last edited:
I'd go to SLU if I were you. Apparently a good number of Cali kids end up there, so you'll probably still feel pretty at home.

I have a bad impression of Loyola because of a trivial thing but I'm gonna mention it anyway. I actually know someone who goes to Loyola, and he was tagged in a photo of all the black MS1's, including him. The caption was:

This is the most me face I've ever made lol. But in just a few weeks, these people are starting to feel less like strangers and more like family. Can't wait for the journey ahead of us. #weallwegot#whitecoatceremony #SSOM#youngblackamericandoctors#theydontwantustowearwhitecoats

Really turned me off to Loyola. I understand pride in your culture but it just seemed really segregated. Maybe a lot of med schools are like this... idk.