small animal caseload at Missouri

Started by raisin
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

raisin

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
VIRMP says the caseload is 3175. Seems kind of low considering how many full-time faculty are at the school (2 ophthalmologists, 3 neurologists, 3 ECC, 4 oncologists etc).
Can anyone tell me what the emergency caseload is like?
thanks
 
Raisin I know this isn't at all relevant to the thread, but I was just wondering how the rest of your LA rotation went? Did it get any better? 🙂
 
thanks for asking. It got somewhat better after one of the clinicians (the only female in that department of course) pulled me aside for a "pep talk". She said she saw the guys "walking all over me" and that I should stop giving them chances because they weren't going to change. She also chewed the guys out. It made me feel better that someone else say it happening and the problem was not just me being "oversensitive". She also said that dealing with crap like that will happen everyday in the food animal world and I'd just have to fight back (which I hadnt been doing on rotation because I ddint want to seem difficult to get along with).
Of her classmates, 12 were "food animal" when they graduated (legitimately, from farming backgrounds) but all that was left now (12 years later) still practicing food animal is 3! Hard life regardless whether you are female or not.
 
The program description should have the average number of emergencies per day.

However, I agree 3,000 cases a year is really low for a large teaching hospital so I wonder if there's something wrong with their numbers. There is no uniform way to count cases; for example, new cases only, count rechecks, and so on. It just depends on how each program's medical records counts things. So it can be hard to know if you are comparing apples to apples.

It's probably worth getting in contact with a few of their current/recent interns to get the details.