Academic Small Animal Rotating Internship Stats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello! I am a current 3rd-year student who is interested in pursuing a small animal rotating internship and eventually a SAIM residency. Ideally, I would like an academic internship as I feel it'd work best with my personality and help me be competitive for residency. I am open to most academic programs, but the schools I am looking at are:
- CSU
- UC Davis
- NCSU
- Minnesota
- Wisconsin
- Penn
- Purdue
- Mizzou

My GPA is 3.9, and my rank is 17/130. I am submitting a paper for publication in which I will be the first author and am also a co-author on another. Can anyone who has matched to these programs advise on how I can strengthen my application? I am planning on doing as much IM as possible on our campus to solidify some strong LOR. Any help is appreciated!
 
I think you'll be a strong applicant as long as you perform well in your 4th year. Make sure that you're putting in as much effort on non-SAM rotations as you are in those. You're going to want letters from more specialties than just your specialty of interest, like ECC, surgery, etc., as you'll be spending a lot of time on those rotations as an intern.
 
I matched to one of the programs you are interested in. I think you should be a strong candidate as long as you present yourself well during phone interviews. They want people that can get along well with others and fit in their program. I would see if you can get a good ECC reference as well as the specialty you are interested in. I did a specialty internship after my rotating so I could get my desired program and location outside the match. It was a 4 year deal (1 intern 3 residency). Glad I did it! Just make sure you have very strong LORs. Knowing people who know people doesn't hurt at all!