Small College to Top 20 Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nicholasleonard12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am Going to be a Freshman at a smaller Liberal Arts college in Texas called Letourneau University this Fall. I am 16 years old and will major in Biology/ Chemistry. I want to go to Baylor Medical School when I graduate. Will my college hinder me from getting into Baylor if it isn't super well known? Say I get a 35 on my MCAT and a 4.0 GPA with moderately good EC's, will that be enough to get into a top 20 medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

Get a 35 and a 4.0, then we can have a conversation. Until then,doing your best the next 4 years should be your primary focus.

Reactions: 2 users
Baylor is 128 miles from your school. I'm sure they have heard of it.

Members don't see this ad :)
There's still Harvard of the Caribbean that will take you if you don't make it, so don't worry.

Reactions: 5 users
There are a lot of trolls here...

Anyway, just focus on studying, making good grades, exploring why you want to do medicine, and get a good MCAT. For the most part, Baylor does not care what school you go to if you meet academic competencies and the school is accredited in the United States.

Don't shoot for moderately good ECs. Shoot for the best possible. Study hard and get good grades, join clubs, work in the community, shadow, volunteer at hospitals, nursing homes, hospice etc.. Be the best you can be and you'll be just fine! Oh and have fun too!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
Are you URM? Then yes, a 35/4.0 will be good for a few top 20 schools. If you're ORM or white, you will probably need 38+ to reasonably guarantee entrance.

Also, any texas med school is good. For that, a 35/4.0 is sufficient.

Won't hinder you but it won't help either

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

As long as you are able to come close to those numbers, or perhaps even exceed them, you should be fine. Not to mention that you are starting college at 16, so clearly you are a smart cookie.
However, much like @candbgirl said, don't get "moderately good EC's", do your best to get outstanding EC's. That way Baylor MS will see that you were able to flourish in your environment and achieve great things. Good Luck!

Talking about getting a 35 and 4.0 is much different than actually getting a 35 and 4.0, as I'm sure you'll find out in the coming years. Get those numbers and then you can have this conversation.

Yeah, I am just trying to set a goal that unanimously is agreed on for my case

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
The only goal you should focus on right now is getting a 4.0 in your first semester. You wonder why we hear about doctor burn out, it's because you're 16 years old and pressuring yourself to graduate with a 4.0 before you even step foot on a college campus. Enjoy college, explore opportunities, do well and have fun. In two years come back on seek advice. Not to mention, you're going to graduate when you're 20. Thats 4 years younger than the average matriculant age. Don't rush.

Hahah I love posts like these, "assuming I get an MCAT in the top few percentile..."

Small steps. Ace your first semesters and get involved in clinical stuff/volunteering/research. Worry about the MCAT and your target level med schools after sophomore year at the earliest.

Yes, but with VERY GOOD ECs.

Right now, concentrate on college and enjoy life. 90% of pre-meds never go to med school, you'll get as fine an education at UT SA as you will at Yale.

I am Going to be a Freshman at a smaller Liberal Arts college in Texas called Letourneau University this Fall. I am 16 years old and will major in Biology/ Chemistry. I want to go to Baylor Medical School when I graduate. Will my college hinder me from getting into Baylor if it isn't super well known? Say I get a 35 on my MCAT and a 4.0 GPA with moderately good EC's, will that be enough to get into a top 20 medical school?

I HIGHLY doubt you'll get a 35 on the MCAT... Look up why that is pure sarcasm, and not me doubting your abilities.

Here's my personal anecdote, straight from a now first-year med student who went to a major state university in Texas for undergrad. The absolute SMARTEST kid I knew growing up attended LeTourneau. Like, this guy made me look like the village idiot. He's now in his mid-20s making around $100K a year for Lockheed Martin. LeTourneau absolutely will not hinder you in anyway. It's an outstanding academic institution, as are most accredited universities.

In any circumstance, your goal should be OUTSTANDING EC's, not moderate. Medical school is shooting for the moon, might as well shoot for the moon.

About LeTourneau's stance on gay athletes, that's a topic for another day. But they're a private school, and this is America, so the Libertarian in me won't gripe too much.

And one final note, don't use your damn real name to identify yourself on here. I trip out thinking people will figure out who I am and knowing that two members of my class know exactly who I am.

It is interesting how people plan on getting a 35 (or equivalent I'm assuming), which is somewhat out of their control and, yet, only moderate EC's, which is within their control. If after doing well for the next 3 or 4 years medicine is still what you want, then work hard to kill the mcat and it can happen. Baylor is a great school. The school I go to is generally consider one of the hardest to get into and there are quite a few people from undergrad schools I hadn't heard of before. My undergrad was at a small state school, as well. But none of us had moderate EC's.