Small colleges with post-bac programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Xcited392

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there small colleges (less than 10,000 students) that offer a post-bac program. I want to take advanced science classes to boost my science GPA and really want to avoid huge schools. My college currently has 18,000 students, which makes it very competitive, in addition to a very strict grade deflation policy.

Any tips? Any school would be nice, though I'd prefer to be in California or the east coast.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Are there small colleges (less than 10,000 students) that offer a post-bac program. I want to take advanced science classes to boost my science GPA and really want to avoid huge schools. My college currently has 18,000 students, which makes it very competitive, in addition to a very strict grade deflation policy.

Any tips? Any school would be nice, though I'd prefer to be in California or the east coast.

Thanks!

Technically, what you're looking for is a Special Master's Program (SMP). The term 'post-bac' generally refers to a postbaccalaureate premedical program, or, a program for students who want to 'change careers' into medicine and haven't completed any of the medical prerequisites.

Though some do, many very small schools do not offer graduate degrees, especially in the sciences. The research required for graduate sciences tends to be centralized at large academic centers; that's where the money flows, you know. You may have some trouble finding master's programs at schools that small, especially given your location restrictions.

Check out this thread for a fairly comprehensive list of SMPs:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=489913

Do you want to take upper level UG courses?
You can do that at any school. They don't need to have a formal program.
Contact the continuing education office of any small schools that you are interested in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Technically, what you're looking for is a Special Master's Program (SMP). The term 'post-bac' generally refers to a postbaccalaureate premedical program, or, a program for students who want to 'change careers' into medicine and haven't completed any of the medical prerequisites.

Though some do, many very small schools do not offer graduate degrees, especially in the sciences. The research required for graduate sciences tends to be centralized at large academic centers; that's where the money flows, you know. You may have some trouble finding master's programs at schools that small, especially given your location restrictions.

Check out this thread for a fairly comprehensive list of SMPs:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=489913

I'm not looking for an SMP; I just need to take upper-level science classes. Doesn't the term "post-bac" still apply here, though? Oh well, I don't want to get caught up in semantics. But the basic idea is for me to take adv. science classes, either formally (such as HES) or informally (open U.).

Do you want to take upper level UG courses?
You can do that at any school. They don't need to have a formal program.
Contact the continuing education office of any small schools that you are interested in.

I know I can do it at any school. But, I've been looking up smaller colleges, but a lot of them don't offer a continuing education program. So I was just wondering if anybody knew of any.

Thank you.

I'm not looking for an SMP; I just need to take upper-level science classes. Doesn't the term "post-bac" still apply here, though? Oh well, I don't want to get caught up in semantics. But the basic idea is for me to take adv. science classes, either formally (such as HES) or informally (open U.).

I know I can do it at any school. But, I've been looking up smaller colleges, but a lot of them don't offer a continuing education program. So I was just wondering if anybody knew of any.

Thank you.

Small state schools often will. Some are honors off-shoots of larger research universities, like University of Maryland - Baltimore County (UMBC). William & Mary (my alma mater) is less than 10k people and is a state school -- they do continuing education. Try to look for the smallest public schools in the country and that should give you a potential list.