small program match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rayofsun

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
Now that I have matched..I am happy with the location. Just had a concern however, and could use some advice, reassurance or whatever you have to offer.

My program takes 9 residents (all matched). Since it is a smaller program, does that mean the residency will train me well? From the interview and statistics, it seems so, but just want to know from your experiences.

Will the smaller program be an issue when I apply for fellowships?

The match has decided for me, but I want to feel more mentally prepared to tackle the next three years.

Thanks,
Ray.

Members don't see this ad.

Work hard, continue to read and study. You'll do fine. I too will be attending a smaller program (by choice, not by match), residents match into fellowships every year. They have yet to have a resident who wanted to specialize who could not get into a fellowship.

There are tons of residents at small programs who do great for themselves. You wouldn't know it from reading these match postings, but don't let it fool you. You'll be fine. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks. I guess the match results on SDN are at larger programs, I see what you mean. That can be a bit intimidating. I should just stop surfing forums. :oops:

Thanks. I guess the match results on SDN are at larger programs, I see what you mean. That can be a bit intimidating. I should just stop surfing forums. :oops:

Yeah, SDN is a good site... But let's face it, the gunners are over represented.:p People don't post: "Hey, I made it into Nobody's Heard of It Hospital for my peds residency!"

You can be a great doc without attending all these big place; likewise, the people attending these big places can also be great.:thumbup: