Small/Rural Med Schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

m3dicalstudent

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I couldn't find a post on this topic before, so if anyone has some input I'd appreciate it :)

I don't know if it really exists out there but I'm interested in smallish/rural-focused medical schools. I'm from Virginia and grew up in a really small rural town and since there aren't any such schools here with that kinda focus, it would hopefully be friendly to out of staters.

Any suggestions? I wouldn't mind making a commitment to practice in a rural area after I graduate or do rural rotations or anything like that. All of my volunteering/shadowing has either been in an international setting or rural setting thus far. So post away if you know anything :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone, I couldn't find a post on this topic before, so if anyone has some input I'd appreciate it :)

I don't know if it really exists out there but I'm interested in smallish/rural-focused medical schools. I'm from Virginia and grew up in a really small rural town and since there aren't any such schools here with that kinda focus, it would hopefully be friendly to out of staters.

Any suggestions? I wouldn't mind making a commitment to practice in a rural area after I graduate or do rural rotations or anything like that. All of my volunteering/shadowing has either been in an international setting or rural setting thus far. So post away if you know anything :)

I just came back from SUNY Upstate near Syracuse NY and they have a great rural medicine program focused on exactly what you are talking about AnD they are OOS friendly (no preference for NY instate). check it out it's a very nice school

You do not have to attend a medical school that is located in a rural setting in order to practice in a rural setting post residency. If you attend a medical school that is located in an urban environment, you can always do an elective fourth year that is located in a rural location or match into a residency in a rural location especially if you enter medicine, peds or family medicine. You are likely not going to find any surgery (or surgical sub-specialties) that are located outside of tertiary hospitals that tend to be located in/near urban environments with Mayo Clinic being the exception.

Medical school prepares you for residency. Any medical school in this country can prepare you for residency. It is residency that prepares you for practice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dartmouth is a small med school in a very rural town.

As far as committing to practice in a rural area, this might be a good program for you... and I'm sure other programs offer similar opportunities.

Are you interested in osteopathic schools? VCOM (in Blacksburg) is a really good school that focuses on rural medicine. I went to an open house a few weeks ago and really loved their program. You should definitely check into it. They favor applicants from VA and the Appalachian Region.

Michigan State(the MD school, I'm not sure about the DO) has multiple hospitals where you can do rotations, at least one of which is very rural(Marquette in the upper penninsula). However, the first two years are done on the main campus. And just as a warning: their OOS fees are through the roof.

I thought I heard that the commonwealth medical college in Scranton, Pennsylvania is supposed to have a rural focus. They're enrolling their first class this year so I don't know how they are towards OOS students.