smaller religious affiliated universities?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LoveAndGrace777

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm currently a CA community college student who is planning on transferring soon, so lately I've been focusing on narrowing down my options as far as schools I plan to apply to. There is this school that I've been growing more interested in (Franciscan University of Steubenville), however I was curious if choosing a smaller, and lesser known religious affiliated school would make a difference (either better or worse) in my chances of getting into med school? They do offer a pre-med program, and I heard that they have an excellent nursing program as well. Thanks in advance :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone, I'm currently a CA community college student who is planning on transferring soon, so lately I've been focusing on narrowing down my options as far as schools I plan to apply to. There is this school that I've been growing more interested in (Franciscan University of Steubenville), however I was curious if choosing a smaller, and lesser known religious affiliated school would make a difference (either better or worse) in my chances of getting into med school? They do offer a pre-med program, and I heard that they have an excellent nursing program as well. Thanks in advance :)

Oh wow, its a real college, I thought you were joking :laugh:

Why do you want to go there...go to Berkeley, or some other CA school, they are all excellent.

I would never go to religious school....because I like the freedom of accessing UrbanDictionary.com...but thats just me.

haha check out liberty university. no R movies, no dancing, no girls in a guys room, not foul language, oh and many many more. its called the liberty way.

to the OP- i'm not familiar with that university. going to a bigger name school might give you a little edge. but if you don't go to one, dont think twice about it once the decisions made because you rock the mcat and do well at the small university and you will be set.

Members don't see this ad :)

I actually know someone who did their undergrad there, and they now go to Ohio State for medical school. Would be nice because Ohio has several state medical schools that you could apply to as a state resident, I believe.

haha check out liberty university. no R movies, no dancing, no girls in a guys room, not foul language, oh and many many more. its called the liberty way.

to the OP- i'm not familiar with that university. going to a bigger name school might give you a little edge. but if you don't go to one, dont think twice about it once the decisions made because you rock the mcat and do well at the small university and you will be set.

One of my high school friends decided to go to Liberty...she married this kid who also went there so they could hold hands in public.

Actually, in Catholic circles, Franciscan is pretty well-known and well-respected. I've known quite a few people who have attended there (both undergrad and graduate school) and loved it. However, most of the people who I've known go there for theology or counseling--not pre-med so I cannot speak of the merits of that program.

That being said, it could actually be a positive if you plan on applying to the Catholic-affiliated medical schools: Creighton, Georgetown, St. Louis, Loyola, NYMC. If other schools don't recognize Franciscan, these at least will.

In the long run, I think you'll be fine as you do well in classes and get a solid MCAT score. From what I heard, Franciscan also has ample opportunities for volunteering, etc. due to it being in a depressed area. PM if you want more info--you'd like me to connect you with some people who have gone there.

Just go to the big UCs. I had some friends who went to some religious schools. You will be one of 3 pre-meds. I think you would be better off going to a UC where there is a ton of pre-med volunteer opportunities available and research. Why limit yourself?

I think you should go wherever you will be the happiest, and wherever you can major in what you want to major. Pre-med opportunities will always abound for those interested in them. I went to a small Catholic school in CA and then did a post-bac program at an even smaller school.

One of the things I liked about my small Catholic school was I started getting to know my advisors (and ultimately, my LOR writers) at the beginning of my Freshman year. I visited/bugged them at least weekly for four years, and I worked beside one in the scene design shop for a few quarters; I really got to know them well. But, I didn't chat with them all of the time so they could write me an LOR--in fact I didn't decide to pursue medicine until just before I graduated--I got to know them because they were great people who loved teaching and mentoring. You tend to find more of those types of professors at the small schools.

In defense of the bigger research schools, you tend to find more prominent professors and more interesting research projects at places like UC Berkeley or LA.

Each type of school has its advantage. For me, I prefer the smaller, more intimate program--but that's just me!

Just follow your heart!

Oh wow, its a real college, I thought you were joking :laugh:

Why do you want to go there...go to Berkeley, or some other CA school, they are all excellent.

I would never go to religious school....because I like the freedom of accessing UrbanDictionary.com...but thats just me.

LOL, please. Don't make blanket statements about schools which you know nothing about.

OP: I agree with BambiMD. Franciscan is well-respected in such circles, and unlike what others said, you most likely won't be "limiting" yourself. You don't need a large university to find or access good opportunities. You might have to look harder than your peers at larger colleges for opportunities, but they will be there. And you will appreciate more intimate connections you can develop at a small school. Like Brent, that was my experience at a small religious college (though not extremely religious).

Status
Not open for further replies.