You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Technology Smart phones, laptops, and MS1/2
Started by fahimaz7
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Laptop is helpful for taking notes, but it can also be distracting.
Smartphone is a waste if the only reason you want one is for school. Other than keeping a calendar, there is no use for it in MS1/MS2. During MS3, a smartphone or a PDA is a must IMO.
Smartphone is a waste if the only reason you want one is for school. Other than keeping a calendar, there is no use for it in MS1/MS2. During MS3, a smartphone or a PDA is a must IMO.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I guess it sort of depends on your school's curriculum.... but I couldn't imagine NOT having a laptop during the 1st two years. I would be willing to bet that at most schools just about every student has/uses a laptop for much of MS1/2.
Good part is that it really doesn't need to be a super-fancy-fast computer. I'm still using my 4 yr old Dell with no problems. Not the fastest out there but all I really need it to do is run Office and get on the internet. If you don't have one now just wait until you start and get one of those $500 laptop deals that every place has. Assuming your school doesn't provide them?
As for the PDA, I agree, really not needed first couple years unless you just really want one. Next year once I start clinicals I'll upgrade and get a PDA/smartphone, but for now it's kind of a waste.
Good part is that it really doesn't need to be a super-fancy-fast computer. I'm still using my 4 yr old Dell with no problems. Not the fastest out there but all I really need it to do is run Office and get on the internet. If you don't have one now just wait until you start and get one of those $500 laptop deals that every place has. Assuming your school doesn't provide them?
As for the PDA, I agree, really not needed first couple years unless you just really want one. Next year once I start clinicals I'll upgrade and get a PDA/smartphone, but for now it's kind of a waste.
I don't use either. Most of the people in my class don't use a laptop to take notes. Usually when I see laptops up in class they are being used to surf the internet. Most people (including myself) do the old fashioned pen-and-paper method of note taking. I don't think you'd use the phone for anything in MS1/2.
I don't use either. Most of the people in my class don't use a laptop to take notes. Usually when I see laptops up in class they are being used to surf the internet. Most people (including myself) do the old fashioned pen-and-paper method of note taking. I don't think you'd use the phone for anything in MS1/2.
Doesn't actually going through the process of "writing" the notes down also help you to embed them in your memory?
I've never taken notes with a laptop so I don't know if typing is the same in that respect as writing.
I had a desktop at the beginning of school (PC) and got a Macbook Pro by the third week. Never looked back since. I like having a laptop for class.
Don't take notes on my laptop, pretty much stopped taking notes all together. In rare times I do it's just with pen/paper. Laptop is there to look up something on internet/uptodate, look at a powerpoint, or a textbook-pdf.
i do everything electronically. I take most notes on professor's powerpoints and use OneNote for everything else.
I could not imagine what I'd do without a laptop. There aren't very many people in my class that don't have one.
I could not imagine what I'd do without a laptop. There aren't very many people in my class that don't have one.
You'll certainly want a PDA when you hit the wards. Why carry a phone and a PDA if you can combine them into a single device?
Also, you can usually get a smartphone without a data plan. Most people don't realize this. A data plan isn't always mandatory (it may affect the price of the phone if you don't get a data plan).
Also, you can usually get a smartphone without a data plan. Most people don't realize this. A data plan isn't always mandatory (it may affect the price of the phone if you don't get a data plan).
I'm going to get an iPhone when I start third year this summer. It's a waste for M1/M2 though. Just an expensive toy. But you will use it for reference when you are rotating. My sprint contract is up in May so I'll be free to switch to AT&T. Maybe I'll get lucky and Apple will come out with a new iPhone by then.
As for a laptop, I got an iMac the summer before M1 and I just got the new Macbook. I haven't used my iMac since I got my MB. I don't actually go to class, but when I go to school I do use my MB. It's nice to have to avoid the loud an obnoxious dells we have on campus. Plus I'd much rather use Quicktime/F4M to stream lectures than WMP.
As for a laptop, I got an iMac the summer before M1 and I just got the new Macbook. I haven't used my iMac since I got my MB. I don't actually go to class, but when I go to school I do use my MB. It's nice to have to avoid the loud an obnoxious dells we have on campus. Plus I'd much rather use Quicktime/F4M to stream lectures than WMP.