Technology smartphones for 3rd year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mossyfiber12

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I keep hearing that skyscape/epocrates are constantly used by 3rd and 4th years and that it's hard to without these softwares. So, do you all have any suggestions about smartphones/PDAs?

I am trying to stay away from the iPhone because with the data plan and texting, it's ridiculously expensive.

Thanks!
 
I'm already locked-in to a 2 year phone contract and didn't want to change it, so I ordered an iPod Touch.

There are some good medical apps on iTunes and if you have WiFi in the hospital, you're good to go without paying for a text/data phone plan.

Just an alternate option to consider if you don't want a phone with a big bill each month.
 
Yea, the iPod touch is a good option, though it will be another device to carry around.

Keep in mind that whatever phone/PDA you get there will probably be some sort of monthly data that you'll need to buy, and currently they are hovering at about $30/month.
 
The other option is to get an older/used dedicated PDA running either the Palm OS or Windows Mobile. You're buying old technology, but it may be sufficient while you're a student. Then, you can "upgrade" to a smartphone during residency.