Smashed Morale - Future as a doctor looking bleak

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eiot

Typical Chazz
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDN,

My first two years of college were a disaster. My GPA ended at around a 2.23 with a plethora of Ws. Hopeless I ended up joining the Marine Corps and eventually being diagnosed and prescribed for ADD. Ever since my experience I have been highly motivated and my GPA has gone up every semester. I transferred to a state school and am currently a junior sitting at a 3.30 GPA. My record has been good except for Business Statistics last semester in which I received a C+ and now Statistics for Strategy this semester which I am almost certainly going to have to drop.

I am trying to keep momentum but I feel like when my profile is reviewed, even if I have a 3.5 or higher GPA by then, that my Ws will be significant enough to deny admission since they've been consistent throughout my college career. I have about two years left which will include most of my science pre-reqs (I am a business major so I'm a little behind the curve). I have done very well in my science classes so far. I'm just really bummed right now. Thanks for listening.

Members don't see this ad.

Stop withdrawing, keep showing improvement, and do well on the MCAT and youll be fine. I had a 2.6 after a couple years and a good 14 Withdraws and had no problem.
But i rocked my last couple years and had no withdraws.

First. Read my signature. Second. DO IT.

I had a 2.1 after my first year and then a 2.5 after my second year of undergrad. But, this was 7 years ago. You probably have a decent amount of time in between you and those w's as well. Just continue taking courses, do well, and show that the past is the past. With any red flag in an application, you have to show that you have acknowledged what you did is wrong and show what you did to overcome it. For your case it could take a little more time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Stop withdrawing, keep showing improvement, and do well on the MCAT and youll be fine. I had a 2.6 after a couple years and a good 14 Withdraws and had no problem.
But i rocked my last couple years and had no withdraws.

Love your avatar.

Love your attitude.

Would love to know more about your story. Is it safe to assume I can dig through your past posts to know more?

Hi SDN,

My first two years of college were a disaster. My GPA ended at around a 2.23 with a plethora of Ws. Hopeless I ended up joining the Marine Corps and eventually being diagnosed and prescribed for ADD. Ever since my experience I have been highly motivated and my GPA has gone up every semester. I transferred to a state school and am currently a junior sitting at a 3.30 GPA. My record has been good except for Business Statistics last semester in which I received a C+ and now Statistics for Strategy this semester which I am almost certainly going to have to drop.

I am trying to keep momentum but I feel like when my profile is reviewed, even if I have a 3.5 or higher GPA by then, that my Ws will be significant enough to deny admission since they've been consistent throughout my college career. I have about two years left which will include most of my science pre-reqs (I am a business major so I'm a little behind the curve). I have done very well in my science classes so far. I'm just really bummed right now. Thanks for listening.

3.3 is fine for DO. Just do well on your MCAT.

Quit fussing, you're fine! Don't you realize that you've reinvented yourself? We AdComs love that! Your military service is a big plus too.

I'd say doing something about what sounds like depression.

And thank you for your service to your country. Semper Fi!

Hi SDN,

Hi SDN,

chill.

I really think you'll be fine. Your time in the military is sort of like a clean slate because it shows maturity. Also, isn't there a medical school for those who have been in the military? F. Edward Herbert School of Medicine?

I created an account just so that I could reply.

I am not sure of your exact story (other than what you have written), but I want you to know that if you want to become a doctor, you are 100% committed, then you can do it. Don't give up and believe in yourself. There will be naysayers that will tell you that it can't be done, but as long as you believe in yourself, then the possibilities are endless.

Last edited:
The road to failure ended yesterday. The road to success has to start today.

The bottom line is way less than 1% of Americans will go to medical school. You must begin to approach your studies in that way. Regardless of what else is going on in life, what your friends at school are doing, or what's behind you... if you want to be among that 1% it's going to take sacrifice and determination beginning now.

There is no class that you should fail in. There are plenty around you whom are succeeding. The resources are out there for tutoring, almost no peer in your courses will deny you help, and you have to take ownership of the situation. If you ask nearly any professor if you can come in for an hour a week for additional help they will probably fall over themselves with joy. Undergrad students notoriously underutilize office hours and most professors are chomping at the bit to actually make a difference in a student. I'm not saying you're not taking advantage of these things - I'm saying if you aren't, start now.

The road is far from closed for you. However, it's certainly narrowing. You must prove to the admissions committee in these final two years that you are not the same person you were yesterday. Otherwise, most AdComs will look at your file and say, "There is nothing here that convinces me he's going to start this and stick with it."

Schools aren't out to make money, typically, but the reality is they have obligations to meet. Every seat in our medical school is worth about $140,000 in tuition to the institution. If they lose 10 people during the course of the four years they lost $1 million to advance the institution. You must prove to the schools you are no longer a risk.

As they say in the military, "Time to pick up your boot straps!" It's my opinion that being on SDN is a step in the right direction. Those on SDN seem to do better in the application cycle, in my view, because they have a clue about what's going on.

Hang in there!

Don't let anybody deny you of your dreams. Remain persistent and focused on your goal.

Best of luck.

Thank you all for the responses. It means a lot to receive some support. Going from a kid who couldn't care less about school to a professional student has had its difficult moments. I guess I got pretty overwhelmed at the thought of having to drop another class during my road to recovery. Regardless, you guys have said some pretty inspiring things in this thread and I thank you for the boost of confidence.