SMDEP 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Guillermo Polanco

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I am new here, but I'm applying to the SMDEP specifically my top three options are: Columbia, Yale, and Duke. Right now I'm missing the two essays, my recommendation letter and my transcripts. (I know basically everything). I started college last semester, and during the summer I did some research with one of my professors, I'm planing on asking him for one of the letters. But do you think that the second one can be by a pre-health adviser? Also, I have my transcript with the classes I took last semester and during the summer, should I send that one or wait for this semester's grades to come?

About the essays can you give me any guidelines for the personal statement and the diversity? Any thing will work, I just need an idea for it.

What do you think are my chances? I am latino, and financially disadvantage. I have a GPA of 3.76 and i have the research and a summer job that I had this past summer. ( I did not graduate on the USA I graduated on Dominican Republic.)

Also, if you can tell me about you experience I will really appreciate it. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey Guillermo,

I attended the Yale SMDEP in 2011 and can really only speak on behalf of my experiences there. I think they are looking for passionate students who want to make a difference within medicine more so than someone with stellar stats. That being said, I believe your stats make you well qualified for the program. I loved SMDEP not because of what I learned, but because of the bonds I made with the students there. I made a network of friends with people who will be my colleagues in the future. The program at Yale is extremely well run, and if you put in the effort, you will grow immensely as a person.

Nicco, can you tell me what activities did you do during the program? (I know I am just applying but I want to have an idea) and Thank you

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, does anyone know if applications are still being reviewed on a rolling basis?
Also, I have a question about my academic standing. I am currently a sophomore, but I began college with
quite a few credits from high school so I'm fairly close to being a Junior once this fall semester is over; can I still apply?
Does anyone know if there is a maximum number of credits you can have to be considered a sophomore since this program is only
for undergrad freshman and sophomores.
Thank You!

Hey Guillermo,

I attended the Yale SMDEP in 2011 and can really only speak on behalf of my experiences there. I think they are looking for passionate students who want to make a difference within medicine more so than someone with stellar stats. That being said, I believe your stats make you well qualified for the program. I loved SMDEP not because of what I learned, but because of the bonds I made with the students there. I made a network of friends with people who will be my colleagues in the future. The program at Yale is extremely well run, and if you put in the effort, you will grow immensely as a person.

Agreed.

Hey Guillermo,

+1. I also did the Yale program and it was one of the most awesome experiences I've ever had. Many of my fellow SMDEPers are 1st-2nd year med students. I couldn't be more proud of them and hope to be in their position when I apply.

I am submitting my application today and was wondering if its too late to get into some of the more comparative programs like Yale, Duke, and Columbia. I am sophomore and this is my only shot so I dont want to waste one of my selections if its too late

Hello everyone!

I am an SMDEP student ambassador for the 2014 application cycle! I am here to assist you guys with the application process! I was elected as an ambassador two months ago and I can answer questions about any and everything about SMDEP. I attended the partook in the program this past summer as a Pre-dental student and it was stupendous! In return, I would greatly appreciate if you ladies and gents could enter my name: "Bobby Glover-Alonzo" in the section that says "who referred you" where they ask how you learned about SMDEP or something along those lines. If I help the most people, SMDEP will help me prepare for my DAT exam. Thank you all SO very much! If you may have questions, tag my name on any of the SMDEP threads or simply email me at [email protected].

Is anyone else having trouble with the "county code" or is it just me? I'm almost done with my application. But, it won't let me type in the "county code." Every time I do, it tells me there is an error. Does anyone know how I can fix this problem? Thanks a lot and best wishes to all of you, on the programs you all select.

Is anyone else having trouble with the "county code" or is it just me? I'm almost done with my application. But, it won't let me type in the "county code." Every time I do, it tells me there is an error. Does anyone know how I can fix this problem? Thanks a lot and best wishes to all of you, on the programs you all select.

Hey, that's because you are using an unsupported browser. If you use Internet Explorer, versions 5 through 9 work. You could also try using the compatibility view feature on the newer IE versions (it worked for me!)

I have checked and READ every single forum all the way back to 2010 because I'm so stoked for this round of summer apps for SMDEP!! I will be applying to Case, Yale and Columbia. Hope we all fare well :)

WHERE is the hype!?! In past years forums there has been chit chat in much more frequency than this... :( come out come out where ever you are fellow applicants!

Oh yeah, my app was completed on 01/08 and the same day it displayed "Application in Review" for Case, but the rest show the dash at the moment.

Nice to know I'm not the only one that went through all the old forums! I'm applying for Columbia, Rutgers, and Houston. App was completed 1/03, but so far only displays application in review for Rutgers. :/ I am sooo excited to participate if I can :)

Yay, your enthusiasm is contagious! Nice to meet ya CertainShadeofGreen (ooh which shade lol). Which school is your top choice and why? And do you think application in review could possibly mean they've already made a decision for us (hopefully positive)?

Members don't see this ad :)
It's a reference to the song Certain Shade of Green by Incubus. :D As for the decision already made, I really think it's possible! On one of the forum discussions I read, someone posted that they were actually accepted January 2nd, even though they didn't receive acceptance until Feb 16. They knew about the Jan 2nd acceptance because someone told them later on. I actually don't really have a top choice! At first glance I liked Rutgers because of their description of the clinical experience portion of the program. All the sites sound great though. :) What about you? Which is your top choice?

Something is a bit confusing... I read somewhere that it is only when you have your application submitted with the two LOR's and your transcript is your application complete. Mine is still missing one LOR and it says completed.. even though the sites are still in "----" (dashes).. I submitted 01/16 though :bucktooth:

I've read that they consider your app completed once a) you've submitted the online application b) you send in your transcripts. I don't know if its the same game this year, does it say "completed" in red? If so, it's possible your sites are already checking out your application. Some guys from previous forums said they got in w/ a single recommendation lol Case is near and dear to my heart right now because they are reviewing my app :) however, my parents won't let me hear the end of it if I get into either Columbia or Yale -_-' Since you have your app in early, I'm sure you'll get in somewhere! Good luck all, let the count down begin.

Some people in past years have also got in w/ the wicked dashes, I wouldn't put it past some sites to get lazy updating from time to time, no worries.

Checked out the song, a very unique sound! Def a great Spotify playlist addition :D

I've read that they consider your app completed once a) you've submitted the online application b) you send in your transcripts. I don't know if its the same game this year, does it say "completed" in red? If so, it's possible your sites are already checking out your application. Some guys from previous forums said they got in w/ a single recommendation lol Case is near and dear to my heart right now because they are reviewing my app :) however, my parents won't let me hear the end of it if I get into either Columbia or Yale -_-' Since you have your app in early, I'm sure you'll get in somewhere! Good luck all, let the count down begin.

Some people in past years have also got in w/ the wicked dashes, I wouldn't put it past some sites to get lazy updating from time to time, no worries.

Checked out the song, a very unique sound! Def a great Spotify playlist addition :D

Yes my application says "completed" in red. So I really hope my sites are checking my application! I have contacted my other professor concerning the second delayed letter already.

Also, I applied to Duke, Nebraska and Washington, because I wanna get as far away from NY as possible. lol (I live in NY). And if u get into Columbia, its awesome!:D

Good luck everyone!:)

Okay.. does anyone have an update? or its the same old story?? lol... Well, for me it is...:rolleyes:
Besides, anyone else has the urge to check their status every five minutes?? :hello:Guilty!!

Reactions: 1 users
I know, right??! I was thinking, "In honor of MLK day, what a gift it would be to change our statuses :D"

BUT NO. lol

I was whinning to my parents a while ago and my mom was like,"You can't pluck and apple from the tree before it's ripe." Wise, yes. But like you, I still check the app on the daily...!

We should make a pact and PROMISE not check our status till Friday, whadyathink?

I know, right??! I was thinking, "In honor of MLK day, what a gift it would be to change our statuses :D"

BUT NO. lol

I was whinning to my parents a while ago and my mom was like,"You can't pluck and apple from the tree before it's ripe." Wise, yes. But like you, I still check the app on the daily...!

We should make a pact and PROMISE not check our status till Friday, whadyathink?

o_O errrrr... I don't think I'm gonna last till friday!! lol Maybe 12pm tomorrow haha...

Despite the fact that I knew they would not update today because the offices are closed, I still checked several times! Yes, that's how bad I got it.. lol

Oh yeah, you're still waiting on that rec aren't you? Don't hesitate to call the NPO office directly and ask if they got it. The person I spoke to was really nice and found my recs and changed my status then and there.

Hmmm, in past threads they say calling programs sites directly and telling them how interested you are might help our chances, but I don't wanna seem overly zealous either...

I think I'm going to email the program director of the sites I've applied to and inquire...but I'm not so sure I'm sold on that idea because the website does say we will have a decision by Feb. 15th regardless. Whelp, we've waited just as long for college acceptances so I think I have to chill lol.

The only update I have is that now two of my sites show up as "Application in Review". I am also completely guilty of checking my status all the time... even though the effort is futile haha. Less than a month left! :eek:

Do you guys think the more competitive sites (Duke, Yale, Columbia) are pretty much full at this point? I submitted my application 1/20 and chose Duke as one of my sites. Starting to believe that was a bad idea. Where did everyone else apply?

Do you guys think the more competitive sites (Duke, Yale, Columbia) are pretty much full at this point? I submitted my application 1/20 and chose Duke as one of my sites. Starting to believe that was a bad idea. Where did everyone else apply?

Well this afternoon Yale's status just changed to "in review" for me so I don't think it's too late to apply, if that means anything lol.

I applied to duke, Rutgers, and UVA and submitted my application on 1/06 (although I am still waiting on the last letter of recommendation) from what I gathered from reading past years forums it would say full when you select the program site before submitting the application if they were all out of spots. I here Columbia fills the quickest so if they aren't full yet I think your odds are good!

Something is a bit confusing... I read somewhere that it is only when you have your application submitted with the two LOR's and your transcript is your application complete. Mine is still missing one LOR and it says completed.. even though the sites are still in "----" (dashes).. I submitted 01/16 though :bucktooth:
I'm still missing a letter of rec and my application is in review for UVA I think they begin looking at the application as long as the transcript and application has been submitted

I'm still missing a letter of rec and my application is in review for UVA I think they begin looking at the application as long as the transcript and application has been submitted

Yeah.. I think its because you submitted early before me.. I have my second LOR now and i called the NPO to confirm, but its not processed yet.. Hopefully monday :bored: ...and i still have "--" on all my sites.. :(

Just out of curiosity, I wanna know where everyone is from and the schools you go to.:clap:

I'm from New York, and i go to BMCC. Its a community college in Manhattan.:smuggrin:

Oh man, I was looking around and wondering why this year's forum's not as active as the past few years. But oh man, I have a question. I was going to call SMDEP and ask them myself but maybe I could get some opinions here. I know I could also see this at my transcript but I just kind of want to know now, instead of spending my time and finding out that I'm not qualified. But anyways, here's my case:
I know SMDEP only accepts freshmen and sophomores in college and that's where I'm not sure if I'm eligible. I just graduated last year, 2013 so technically I'm a freshman; however, during my HS Junior and Senior years, I took college courses, therefore I've earned quite a lot of credits that would classify me as a junior. Do these credits count? I really want to get into this program to see if I'm headed in the right direction and I believe this is the way to go.

Oh man, I was looking around and wondering why this year's forum's not as active as the past few years. But oh man, I have a question. I was going to call SMDEP and ask them myself but maybe I could get some opinions here. I know I could also see this at my transcript but I just kind of want to know now, instead of spending my time and finding out that I'm not qualified. But anyways, here's my case:
I know SMDEP only accepts freshmen and sophomores in college and that's where I'm not sure if I'm eligible. I just graduated last year, 2013 so technically I'm a freshman; however, during my HS Junior and Senior years, I took college courses, therefore I've earned quite a lot of credits that would classify me as a junior. Do these credits count? I really want to get into this program to see if I'm headed in the right direction and I believe this is the way to go.
Yeah, the only way to know for sure is to take a look at your transcript and give the NPO a call.
But based on my previous forum lurking I remember reading about a situation like yours, and in his case he was considered a junior. However, if you took any APs or IBs I think you can subtract that from your credit history if you earned any that way because they don't count.
As I said though, this is a unique situation and I agree with you that you should give them a call and hopefully you can sort things out and go ahead and apply :)

Call and check, but I have a similar situation where I am technically a junior because of AP credit and a few community college courses, but I am still eligible because the AP credit does not count.

Hey, I just submitted my application to (Washington, Columbia, Yale) I already had my recommendation letter and my transcripts sent. How long does it take before it says in review.

Hey, I just submitted my application to (Washington, Columbia, Yale) I already had my recommendation letter and my transcripts sent. How long does it take before it says in review.

Well, its takes 10 business days to process the LORs and transcript after the NPO receives them.. It doesn't take that long for some applicants though. And for your application to be in review, that means your complete application has been forwarded to the sites you chose and they have started looking into it, which could be anytime.:) (if your application is complete, it says it in red at the top of your status page)

Hey, if you submitted the letters and transcripts before submitting your application, you should definitely call/email the office! I also sent in LORs and transcripts before submitting the application. However, since my actual application had not been submitted, they had not linked it to my stuff! I emailed them to let them know of my situation and they updated my app right away. :)

Just out of curiosity, I wanna know where everyone is from and the schools you go to.:clap:

I'm from New York, and i go to BMCC. Its a community college in Manhattan.:smuggrin:

From Wisconsin, currently @ Dartmouth College. Is Manhattan as dreamy and magnificent as the movies make it out to be :rolleyes:? I feel like the best romantic comedies are set in NY.

Last edited:
Ok Thanks, Who do I contact ?

freshmen from Minneapolis,MN

Last edited:
From Wisconsin, currently @ Dartmouth College. Is Manhattan as dreamy and magnificent as the movies make it out to be :rolleyes:? I feel like the best romantic comedies are set in NY.

LOL!! Well, yeah it is.. But you might be disappointed with some parts though. We have really awesome views especially at night!! :love:

Last edited:
I've called that number multiple times no one answers.

I've called that number multiple times no one answers.

You have to call early.. The office opens 9:30 try to be the first caller and if you are placed on hold, just wait it out, someone will eventually talk to you. And you can also email them you know?

You have to call early.. The office opens 9:30 try to be the first caller and if you are placed on hold, just wait it out, someone will eventually talk to you. And you can also email them you know?
Gotcha

I'm shocked this thread hasn't hit 2 pages yet. Does this mean there are less applicants than previous years? Or are people getting their info from previous threads and no longer see the need for a current chat thread?

I'm shocked this thread hasn't hit 2 pages yet. Does this mean there are less applicants than previous years? Or are people getting their info from previous threads and no longer see the need for a current chat thread?

I have been wondering about that too..:confused: but I guess its because people already got enough infos form previous threads and they see no need to ask further questions:thinking:

So has anybody had updates from Nebraska, Duke or Washington recently???

So has anybody had updates from Nebraska, Duke or Washington recently???
I applied to those exact 3 sites as well and my application today was just considered complete as they finally received and processed all of my LORs and transcripts. But as for the sites it still only says -- :(

I hope it means there are less applicants this year. I think once people begin to hear back from the sites then the activity on the page will pick up.

I applied to those exact 3 sites as well and my application today was just considered complete as they finally received and processed all of my LORs and transcripts. But as for the sites it still only says -- :(

Same with mines!! Hopefully they not updating anyone else's.. lol... And what is keeping me from freaking out is because in one of the past threads an applicant got accepted into all 3 sites and her application never changed from "--" during the reviewing and waiting period..! Well, at least we'll know by Feb. 15th! :bucktooth: Less than 3 weeks!!

Hey guys! I applied to Duke, Columbia and Nebraska. My application was completed 1/08 even though I'm still waiting for one of my LORs .. my application for nebraska is already in review too :eek::eek: