SMDEP 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
2 weeks to go!!! Super excited! :soexcited:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Im in review for Louisville, Nebraska, and UVA! Super excited! But I hope the change in decision date doesn't mean more competition...

I am soooo excited too! I'm still waiting for duke and Columbia to get it reviewed... Or they probably did already. I hope they update it soonnn!

If it were Feb 15th, we'd know in two days... ugh!

Reactions: 2 users
anybody have any new info about the decision process?

I'm currently in review for UT Houston and the Texas Medical Center and I had a question. My professors are taking their sweet time turning in my letters of recommendation and I'm wondering if it will keep me out of the running? Everything else is taken care of.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm currently in review for UT Houston and the Texas Medical Center and I had a question. My professors are taking their sweet time turning in my letters of recommendation and I'm wondering if it will keep me out of the running? Everything else is taken care of.

:eek: Really?? so you dont have any LORs in at the moment? And its in review at 2 sites? man... i feel that's bad! Did u make the Feb 1st deadline?

:eek: Really?? so you dont have any LORs in at the moment? And its in review at 2 sites? man... i feel that's bad! Did u make the Feb 1st deadline?

I did! Turned them in DECEMBER!

And its only one site. The others won't work for me :\

I did! Turned them in DECEMBER!

And its only one site. The others won't work for me :\

You turned ur application in December and still your professors didn't email or fax your LORs yet? Wow... Did you give them a deadline? Pester them with emails maybe??

You turned ur application in December and still your professors didn't email or fax your LORs yet? Wow... Did you give them a deadline? Pester them with emails maybe??

I'm reminding them all the time but I'll shoot emails every now and then from now on. The last time they were reminded was last week.

I'm reminding them all the time but I'll shoot emails every now and then from now on. The last time they were reminded was last week.

You need to give them an earlier date than the date set for the deadline..! Tell them LOR submissions are due next week.(lies I know) Just remember they have to go through processing.. and that takes time! My second LOR was received more than 2 weeks ago even though my professor sent it up to 5 times (I saw the e-mails) before they got it! (I kept going to her office everyday) and it is still not updated on my status page.. I called the office today and i was told it has been processed but they dont know why it's not coming on my status page... You have to consider all these hitches and tell them to hurry up! Good luck!

P.S: Tell them to send it through e-mail and do follow up.. They get blank fax pages sometimes..

Last edited:
If at all possible, go to their office hours and do everything Gold said + puppy eyes. It will work like a charm, I promise. Don't forget to express your enthusiasm for the program to them too.

Note: If it seems subtlety isn't working at this point, just be plain honest with them and tell them how bad you need it. It may seem a tad direct but hey, this is a great opportunity for YOU and I'd be damned if I lost out on it cause of recs!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Gold and RainbowJunkynare both right. This is important to you, and if subtlety doesn't work, then tell them straight up. After browsing many other smdep threads, i think they'll still consider you without LORs....

I dont know exactly how long it took for mine to get processed. I sent them in sometimes around December and I submitted my application on January 16th. I called the NPO the next day and my transcript and 1 LOR was connected to my application. Also my application was completed on the 17th (that same day). The rule says it takes 10 business days to process, but since you sent them way long before and it's not showing on your status, I think you need to call the office. :)

So I called the office, they said they didn't receive it but then the next day, it marked both of my LORs complete. o_O I'm just waiting for my transcript. They take forever to process. I'm gonna have to call them tomorrow since this day marks 2 weeks already! :/
Anyways, how's everyone's application so far? :)

In review at Nebraska! I hope Columbia and U of Washington are reviewed soon!
Anyone else apply for Washington?

So I called the office, they said they didn't receive it but then the next day, it marked both of my LORs complete. o_O I'm just waiting for my transcript. They take forever to process. I'm gonna have to call them tomorrow since this day marks 2 weeks already! :/
Anyways, how's everyone's application so far? :)

The office is closed on week-ends.. lol
My application is in review for Nebraska, Got a call from Duke.. And thats it :nailbiting:.. Hopefully Washington and Duke update people's status soon.

The office is closed on week-ends.. lol
My application is in review for Nebraska, Got a call from Duke.. And thats it :nailbiting:.. Hopefully Washington and Duke update people's status soon.

Oh yeah, you're right! Haha, what did Duke call you for?

Oh yeah, you're right! Haha, what did Duke call you for?

They wanted an update on my transcript cz I sent it in before last semester was over. They wanted to know my grades (which fortunately were awesome :D) and the classes I'm taking this semester..

Hello all!! I couldn't find this years SMDEP thread at all!! So nice to finally find out there is one after all!! Nice to meet you :D I'm so excited to hear back from them, 2 weeks to go! Even though it doesn't really matter I check my status page multiple times a day haha! Now to read through this whole thread to see what I missed...

Hello all!! I couldn't find this years SMDEP thread at all!! So nice to finally find out there is one after all!! Nice to meet you :D I'm so excited to hear back from them, 2 weeks to go! Even though it doesn't really matter I check my status page multiple times a day haha! Now to read through this whole thread to see what I missed...

Welcome SpaceyWacey!! :) So what sites did u chose? And have you heard from any of them?

I've been checking my status everyday too, haha. 12 more days!!!!!! I've also been watching this thread everyday too, lmao.

Welcome SpaceyWacey!! :) So what sites did u chose? And have you heard from any of them?

I chose Case Western, Duke, and UVA :D Case has been in review for awhile and earlier this week UVA went into review :) 13 more days until we find out!

I saw some other threads, and there's contradictory opinions. Most threads are full of people getting accepted, and someothers claim they only accept URMs. I just wish i had some statistics about acceptance rates....

Hey guys! I applied in this years cycle as well. We gotta get more people on this thread though!!! I applied to UCLA, Yale, and Washington! I too have been checking my status everyday, even though I know it's pointless until the 28 :(

Anyones application under review for Duke or Univ. of Washington?

Anyones application under review for Duke or Univ. of Washington?

I applied to those two sites as well but they not under review yet... I think they just not updating. :meh: Where's your third site?

Hey guys! I applied in this years cycle as well. We gotta get more people on this thread though!!! I applied to UCLA, Yale, and Washington! I too have been checking my status everyday, even though I know it's pointless until the 28 :(

How are we supposed to get more people?? Advertising? lol.. I think if people really want to be on here, they will search and find.. just like we did! :)

How are we supposed to get more people?? Advertising? lol.. I think if people really want to be on here, they will search and find.. just like we did! :)
I had actually been searching for this thread forever, I eventually just thought that there wasn't going to be one this year. So are you all first-years or second-years? I'm a second (actually a third, but because of AP credit I was still just barely able to apply) so this is my only shot :eek:

I had actually been searching for this thread forever, I eventually just thought that there wasn't going to be one this year. So are you all first-years or second-years? I'm a second (actually a third, but because of AP credit I was still just barely able to apply) so this is my only shot :eek:
same here!!! I'm also second-year.... I've read other threads where people have posted about other second-years who end up regretting they didn't do SMDEP the summer after freshman year. What do you think about that? I'd like to think that it is still worth it!

well.. so i guess we should find a way to make this thread visible and easy to find then.. :) I'm also second-year!! I'm actually graduating from my community college this semester.. I'v been hoping that doesn't make my chances slim!:nailbiting:

same here!!! I'm also second-year.... I've read other threads where people have posted about other second-years who end up regretting they didn't do SMDEP the summer after freshman year. What do you think about that? I'd like to think that it is still worth it!

I've read that too, but it in no way deterred me from applying, I think its definitely worth it! Even if all of the classes we have are things we've already learned, it never hurts to review and solidify material. Plus there are still (what I am hoping to be) amazing clinical experiences. Plus a big thing for me is that I have never travelled too far away from home on my own, so this will be like my own little adventure if I get in. I'm thinking it will be a great opportunity to discover myself even more. :D I'm not sure if you can tell but I'm quite the optimist haha, so even if everything is geared towards first-years I think we'll be able to make the best of it :playful:

I think it depends on how far into your prereqs you are. And even if you have completed them, most sites provide some sweet MCAT prep materials to go home with and a subject review never hurts.:bookworm:

Edit: Meeting w/ the Admissions board at a site could also fancy us an auto secondary...or so I've heard.

Ikr?! I also read that... I actually didn't hear about the program until last year December and that was why i didn't apply in my first year.. I think its worth it though, because we still get to go for clinicals and meet new people.:shrug:

Is anybody's application for Columbia in review yet? I've been checking my status like everyday! I'm also lurkingg in this thread :confused:

Is anybody's application for Columbia in review yet? I've been checking my status like everyday! I'm also lurkingg in this thread :confused:
Wow is this thread active...! Anyway, l don't expect Columbia to update. Too many applicants there perhaps?

Wow is this thread active...! Anyway, l don't expect Columbia to update. Too many applicants there perhaps?

Active threads are happy threads :D Since someone asked what about Duke? Anyone have changes there?

No changes for Duke!:bored: Did u get the call though?

Nope, no call :( I'm think that it might be because my transcript had my completed semester grades and the classes I would be taking for this spring semester :xf:

Nope, no call :( I'm think that it might be because my transcript had my completed semester grades and the classes I would be taking for this spring semester :xf:

Yeah.. I guess! Mine was not completed.. :unsure:
Edit: Got me thinking my essays were good.. because they wouldn't waste their time calling if they have not reviewed my essays ryt? :cat: