Smdep

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunshine02

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how competitive this program is and whether or not different schools on the list have different selectivity rates (like Yale more competitive than other schools)? Also, since the program is for freshmen and sophomores and the application opens in November, aren't freshmen at a disadvantage since they don't have solid connections w/professors yet and therefore LORs might not be as well written? The program says to apply as early as possible.

Anything else about this program will be extremely helpful!

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's a good opportunity, but don't know much about it. I know they prefer underrepresented or economically disadvantaged candidates. The program is offered by 12 institutions, but I don't know if the competitiveness between them is a lot different or not.

It's easy if you've got what they're looking for... downright impossible if you're overrespresented and don't qualify for fin aid. Worth a shot though. What's the worst that can happen? ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a couple of friends do SMDEP and they both loved it. I'm not sure about how competitive it is, but I echo the previous comment that it is geared towards underrepresented and disadvantaged applicants. A bonus of the program is that you get to know people at the affiliated medical school, and both of my friends received interviews and were accepted to the school where they did SMDEP (one of them is going to be attending that school in the fall).

As for freshman LORs, if you know you want to apply to SMDEP in November, there is plenty of time between September and November to establish a relationship with a professor in your intended major. You can also get an LOR from a high school science teacher.

I did this program a few years ago at Columbia. The dean said that for everyone who was in the program, around 10 people were denied. That said there was a large range of kids there. From Princeton to community college. A few non urms too. I myself went to a top 20 university and am mixed race, not technically a urm, but I had a friend in a similar position who didn't get in. So...that's all I got.

I have heard Columbia, Yale, & Duke are the most difficult to get into but I believe thats because they are the ones everyone wants to go to.

If you apply early though you should be fine also, just to echo what's already been said most of the students at my SMDEP site were URM and/or economically disadvantaged. I enjoyed attending it was a really good experience.