Quantcast

Duke Summer Biomedical Sciences Institute 2017 (old smdep)

Travel to Ghana on the Ultimate Med Immersion
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDoc9729

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!
I am a 2017 Cohort of the sbsi program at Duke and I made this thread with hopes of meeting everyone who is attending .

Reactions: 1 user

FutureDoc9729

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think there will be less of us then there would be at a SHPEP site. I also wonder how roommates will be chosen. Where are you from and what college year are you?
That's true, and I'm from Illinois but I recently moved to northern Virginia! I'm also a rising Junior. What about you ?

neuroscience 123

Reaction score
That's true, and I'm from Illinois but I recently moved to northern Virginia! I'm also a rising Junior. What about you ?
I'm a rising junior as well! Do you know anyone else who is doing the program? I'm also really excited that we're gonna live in Keohane, I hear its a really great facility!

DrDriven07

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you all think it was really competitive to get in?

FutureDoc9729

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
thats awesome! have you ever been to duke? I havent and wonder what the area around Duke is like/ what we can do on the weekends!
Nope I haven't , I'm just counting down the days at this point . And since it's a college down im pretty sure there will be a lot to do. I kinda want to go to a music festival!

neuroscience 123

Reaction score
Nope I haven't , I'm just counting down the days at this point . And since it's a college down im pretty sure there will be a lot to do. I kinda want to go to a music festival!
i am 100 PERCENT counting down the days!! I really love water/amusement parks so I am definitely down for that! Do you know anyone who did SMDEP at duke?

FutureDoc9729

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
i am 100 PERCENT counting down the days!! I really love water/amusement parks so I am definitely down for that! Do you know anyone who did SMDEP at duke?
I actually know quite a few. They all said it was a rewarding experience, so I am definitely looking forward to it.

FutureDoc9729

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you think it will be exactly like the SMDEP program?

I'm positive the only that changed is the name of the program. I also think that they might only be focusing on pre-med students because it is no longer affiliated with shpep. But then again who knows haha

neuroscience 123

Reaction score
I'm positive the only that changed is the name of the program. I also think that they might only be focusing on pre-med students because it is no longer affiliated with shpep. But then again who knows haha
yeah very true! i just saw a sample week schedule and....woah. lol

neuroscience 123

Reaction score
T-minus 6 days! im extremely excited! Have you gotten the link for the SBSI website? Cause I haven't and i just wanted to make sure the link hasnt been sent yet!

FutureDoc9729

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
T-minus 6 days! im extremely excited! Have you gotten the link for the SBSI website? Cause I haven't and i just wanted to make sure the link hasnt been sent yet!
Me too! I have to start packing asap lol, and what do you mean, what link?

neuroscience 123

Reaction score
Me too! I have to start packing asap lol, and what do you mean, what link?
when we got our arrival information under the email section it said this:
"Sometime in May you will receive your Duke University e-mail address and the URL of the [email protected] course-site. The course-site opens to a bulletin board. Check the bulletin board for announcements before departing for Durham." but I never got email with the URL/access to the course site

FutureDoc9729

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
when we got our arrival information under the email section it said this:
"Sometime in May you will receive your Duke University e-mail address and the URL of the [email protected] course-site. The course-site opens to a bulletin board. Check the bulletin board for announcements before departing for Durham." but I never got email with the URL/access to the course site
Oh! Yea I didn't receive either

FutureDoc9729

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Same! What time are you getting in? Also its really cool that you know other people going into the program!
I should land around 2, what about you ? Yea it's awesome they are great people, Im very thankful for having the ability to experience this program with them. I'm also really excited to make new connections too!

neuroscience 123

Reaction score
I should land around 2, what about you ? Yea it's awesome they are great people, Im very thankful for having the ability to experience this program with them. I'm also really excited to make new connections too!
I land a little before 1:00, and i'm excited to make connections as well! I feel like what we do once we get to the airport aren't really explicit instructions yet.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.