Smoking in the drive-thru

Started by mentos
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mentos

Half full member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is it legal to smoke in the drive-thru? We have an old fast food style one where the window fully opens. Every time someone smokes in the drive-thru, the entire pharmacy stinks of cigarette. We put up a sign, "Please don't smoke" but of course no one reads it. I ask nicely if they don't mind putting out the cigarette. Half the time they get pissed, keep smoking, yell at me, tell me it's not the law, and drive off angrily like they're racing in the Fast & Furious.
 
Is it legal to smoke in the drive-thru? We have an old fast food style one where the window fully opens. Every time someone smokes in the drive-thru, the entire pharmacy stinks of cigarette. We put up a sign, "Please don't smoke" but of course no one reads it. I ask nicely if they don't mind putting out the cigarette. Half the time they get pissed, keep smoking, yell at me, tell me it's not the law, and drive off angrily like they're racing in the Fast & Furious.

It's either that or on their cell phone.. it is annoying.

Or when they drop off a prescription and it reeks like cigarettes....
 
Is it legal to smoke in the drive-thru? We have an old fast food style one where the window fully opens. Every time someone smokes in the drive-thru, the entire pharmacy stinks of cigarette. We put up a sign, "Please don't smoke" but of course no one reads it. I ask nicely if they don't mind putting out the cigarette. Half the time they get pissed, keep smoking, yell at me, tell me it's not the law, and drive off angrily like they're racing in the Fast & Furious.
If they're on your property, you can make the rules. Inform them that patients with severe asthma may be harmed by smoke in the pharmacy area, and if they refuse to put out their cigarette ask them to leave the store/plaza property. If they refuse that, let the police deal with it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If they're on your property, you can make the rules. Inform them that patients with severe asthma may be harmed by smoke in the pharmacy area, and if they refuse to put out their cigarette ask them to leave the store/plaza property. If they refuse that, let the police deal with it.

I like the asthma angle.
 
Who cares if it's legal. There is no smoking in my drive thru. I will politely ask once for it to be put out. After that the window is closed and they aren't being helped until it's out. All my techs are empowered by me to do the same. I tell them OSHA forbids it.
 
It personally doesn't bother me (though it does come across as disrespectful) so I don't say anything but I see nothing wrong with asking them to put it out. If they get hostile about it then they can go somewhere else plain and simple.
 
I am so glad that we have a tube system for our drive thru...it would be awful with a window where I work, there are so many smokers that come thru our drive thru and I can not stand cigarette smoke.